Pelikan P99 - Technixx

Sandy1

Hello,

I responded to a 'just curious' OP about the Pelikan P99, that also goes by the designation of 'Technixx'. As my response was close to being a Review, I decided to expand my post to a Review. So this is my first hardware review, so constructive feed-back is welcome. I look forward to your posts.

P99_View

So what do we have? At first glance the P99 looks like a 'stick' pen. However, the pen does have some curves to it, but they're not obvious or voluptuous.

The P99 is an all-metal pen. It should be explicitly stated that the section and barrel threads are both metal, so should be robust and enduring.

The grip is shaped into facets reminiscent of the Prelude, Safari, et al. While I generally do not like a prescriptive grip, the grip on the P99 is OK, and is actually good for keeping the very smooth nibs running on their sweet spot; and is very do-able when wearing gloves.

The character of the nibs have nothing in common with the M-nnn series Pelikans. The P99 does not have soft sumptuous nibs: they are firm and austere - not even a breathing hole! It so happens they suit my hand, and my general preference for firm nibs like the post-WWII Parkers, including the top-of-the-line Duofold, which are luxurious but not 'squishy' or soft or flexible. (The flexies are beyond the scope of my limited skill set.)

The F, M & B nibs are 'relatively true to size': the line widths are easily distinguished. (See written samples below.) The nibs are 'mono-lines', and so write without noticeable line width variation regardless of stroke direction.

The flow seems to depend on nib width. Using the HPJ-1124 Laser Copy paper, the Fine nib runs a tad dry, Medium is spot on, and Broad is a tad wet. Mostly this is OK, and the way I like my nibs' width-to-wetness ratios.

The cap of the pen holds a few very pleasant surprises: the clip and an internal 'clutch' or barrel gripping mechanism.

• The clip itself is an angular affair that looks humdrum. But in fact it is mounted to the cap with a spring hinge which allows it to grip thick materials such as leather, fleece, canvas, Nomex, etc. This is of tremendous value to those who stow their pen in places other than a shirting-weight cloth breast pocket; and is a nice feature for ladies whose blouse does not have a functional pocket, or do not want to commit the gaffe of spoiling the hang/fit of their blouse by placing a hefty full-size pen in a breast pocket.
  • The cap contains the plastic female portion of the cap-to-barrel mount. This is not a friction fit affair or a screw mount - more like a docking system. Cap and barrel are mated with considerable grip, docking is indicated by an audible click. This also eliminates the barrel-buffing that occurs when posting is a simple friction mount. There are two male portions of this mount: one on each end of the barrel. So closed or posted, the cap is secured to the barrel. When posted, this allows the pen to be clipped to something when the nib is exposed, with little risk of the barrel separating from the cap. As the male portion of the mount is repeated on the end of the barrel and at the nib-end of the section, the barrel is smooth - free of threads and rings: functional and aesthetically wonderful.

thumbup.gif

The filling system I do not like - just so that personal preference is clear. The P99 is really not designed to take a converter: cartridges only. So the work-arounds are self-filled cartridges, and the [idiotic] mini converter shown. Even if using cartridges, it is worth getting a converter to clean the section. (You may already have one that fits the section, but not into the barrel.) Please see End Note.

The pen is shown in brushed white metal, and red and black lacquer. It also comes in blue. And I have my eye out for a used green-colour one with a B nib - to have ground to a Cursive Italic. (I like the P99 enough to have three, and am on the look-out for a fourth to have tricked-out.)

So who wants the P99 but doesn't know it?

• People making the transition from wooden pencils, biros, and small-gauge RBs and BPs.
  • Aficionadi who seek a slender writer with some heft.
  • A person who wants an all-metal pen, like the Rotring_600, but without that pen's mass and dreadful ergonomics.
  • Practitioners who stow their pen in a briefcase or a more casual satchel.
  • Anyone who carries their pen in an outside or sleeve/trouser pocket/slot of their clothing or protective gear.
  • Those who may wear gloves when writing.
  • The safety-conscious who does not want their pen to melt or easily suffer structural damage.
  • The fashion-conscious who love a seriously RED pen, and will purchase (lipstick, nail polish), small leather goods, accessories, etc. to match or complement the RED colour. Rich brown leather is an obvious pick; black is just so ... black.

If one does not have or foresee the need for the pen's functional features, and is unable to accept the filling system, or prefers a more decadent nib, then at a cost of some $115 new, it may well be worth considering other metal-barrel pens such as the Waterman Carene or any of the many Flighter designs.

The P99 is rarely seen on eB*y - I suspect their owners are hanging on to them; so perhaps Estate Sales? (You can have my P99s when you can pry them from my cold dead hand.)

Bye,

Sandy1

=+=+=+=+=

Written_Samples.

Taken from the Ink Review of Lamy Green.

=+=+=+=+=

DIMENSIONS:

Mass, empty: 26 grams ; appox. 1 ounce.

Length:

• Posted: 153mm ; 6 1/8 inches.
  • Closed: 137mm ; 5 1/2 inches.
  • Barrel & Section only: 123mm ; 4 7/8 inches.

Diameter/Girth:

• Maximum - including Clip: 15mm ; 9/16 inches.
  • Maximum - not including Clip: 12mm ; 1/2 inches.
  • Minimum - nib end of Section: 8mm ; 5/16 inches.

=+=+=+=+=

End Note: Inks.

It should be noted that many robust, enduring inks are not available in international cartridges. This includes my favourite i-g inks, the Noodler's BPs, Pilot/Namaki Blue, etc. While my knowledge of inks is not encyclopedic, I believe that the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is quite robust, and comes in long and short cartridges. There must be others out there, but that's more a matter for the Inky Thoughts Forum, not FP Reviews.

One may find the list of compatible international (short) cartridges on the Pendemonium site http://www.pendemonium.com/.

-30-

EDIT - Expletives deleted.

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Silvermink

• xuan87

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I watched an auction for a red P99 with an M nib on eB*y.

It sold for a mere $26.66.

IMHO, an amazing cost-to-value ratio.

Bye,

S1

PS :

This Post wasn't Indexed.

Is there some protocol that I ignored, which made this a rogue review?

Otherwise, if no one can retrieve it, why do the write-up in the first place?

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

actually, many recent reviews have not been indexed, so there's nothing wrong with your review. i believe the moderator has just came back and is still getting caught up.

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

Hello,

I watched an auction for a red P99 with an M nib on eB*y.

It sold for a mere $26.66.

IMHO, an amazing cost-to-value ratio.

Yeah, I actually bid on that one - didn't win it, though.

PS :

This Post wasn't Indexed.

Is there some protocol that I ignored, which made this a rogue review?

Otherwise, if no one can retrieve it, why do the write-up in the first place?

S1

AFAIK, all the indexing is done manually when MYU has a chance and it doesn't look like he's updated it in a while (and I think it's quite a job with the volume of reviews). I wouldn't assume you were snubbed.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple