Pilot Custom Maple(kaede)

rokurinpapa

[brief introduction] This is my 8th pen review in English.

Custom Series are the central pillar of Pilot fountain pen products and

various pens have been developed as the Series. I think Custom

Maple(Kaede)*1 figures prominently among others though it seems

plain and undemonstrative at the first glance. Firstly it is made of wood.

The wood is Itaya Kaede*2 from Hokkaido that is the northernmost

island among 4 main islands in Japan and where the diggings of

iridosmine existed. They get a hole in scantling cut from natural wood

and infuse fluid resin into the scantling through the hole by a hypodermic

syringe. After that they process it to cap and barrel. We can expect no crack

of time arises in the wood but can enjoy the aging of the wood by this original

processing *3, that is, reinforcing the wood from inside and painting no

lacquer on the surface of the wood as it is. Of course the grains vary from one pen

to another, but the grains of the cap and barrel corresponds each other because

they are processed from one same scantling. Secondly the nib is characteristic

old flexible type. I do not know the reason, but only this Custom Maple has the

same nib and feeder as those of legendary Limited Edition Pilot65 launched

in 1983 to commemorate the 65th Anniversary of its foundation(1918).

I have found that Pilot continues producing this characteristic nib over 25years

slightly without suspending.

*1 The brand name of this pen is Custom Kaede in Japan. Kaede is Japanese,

means maple in English, and is pronounced as "ka", "e", "de" literally .

*2 Itaya Kaede(painted maple, nomenclature: Acer mono, Acer pictum ) It belongs

to Aceraceae (the Maple family). It is a tall deciduous tree with yellow fall

foliage that is distributed widely in Japan, the Korean Peninsula, and China.

This tree grows in mountainous areas and can reach 1 m in diameter, 20 m in height,

the tallest among the Maple family. Annual ring of the tree is obscure and there is no

clear distinction about materials between the periphery and the center. The materials

is heavy, firm and sticky. Owing to the toughness, it is not so easy to process it. It is

difficult to dry it and the insufficiency of the drying causes the error of processing. The

grains are beautiful and it is prized as materials of furniture, musical instrument or

other handiwork. The sap tastes slightly sweet and it can be boiled down into a sweet

syrup like sugar maple in Canada.

*3 the course of the processing  they cut natural Itaya Kaede into scantling, get a

small hole in the scantling, make fluid resin permeate the wood, cut the scantling into

round stick, separate the stick into barrel and cap, shave them by numerically controlled

lathe, make a hole in them, finishing by sandpaper, rough finishing using buff by machine,

final finishing using buff by hand.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020660.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020658.jpg

A fountain pen will grow a favorite item that cannot be replaced by using regularly for a long

time. Natural wood is of the same kind. Wood will polish beautifully with deep color by using

for a long time and we will not be able to part with the mature wood. Now you cannot help

knowing the brilliant combination of fountain pen and wood. Besides Custom Maple has special

nib that fountain pen lovers admire. Furthermore I think that the price of it is very reasonable.

I do not know the reason, but Pilot does not have made vigorous propaganda of the above features,

only has made conventional remarks in its catalogue. In fact my company of fountain pen lovers

who owned the Maples told me that I should not miss this Maple whispering these information.

So I wanted to get the Maple eagerly as opportunity permited. The chance came relatively soon.

I happened to find the Maple offered for sale at 30% discount on the list price at a stationary shop

near my office where I went to buy a note. The grains of the Maple and the taste of writing was

not so bad, so I bought it without hesitation.

The Maple is inconspicuous even in Japan, much more outside Japan, perhaps little people

there know the Maple. So I would like to introduce this nice pen to you all.

1 First Impressions (9/10) The box is compact and made of paulownia wood, light and looks

decent. It seems that there is no extra cost in making the box, I had a favorable impression to that.

When I opened the box, there were the Maple, general instructions used for Pilot fountain pens.

I appreciated that Pilot Con-70 converter was attached. And then I was given a fountain pen

maintenance set* from the shop as a special supplement to the pen. It seems that Pilot has recently

delivered the sets to shops as free gifts to buyers of fountain pens worth certain price or more.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020789.jpg

* fountain pen maintenance set An article not for sale. There are a filler specially made for

cleaning of Pilot fountain pens, a sheet of bleached cloth, 3 spare cartridges of ink(blue, black

and blue black) and instructions. I have tried the filler in practice and found that it is fairly effective.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020814.jpg

2 Appearance & Design (10/10) - The shape of the pen is so-called balance type that resembles

the shape of Pilot65. The barrel and the cap is made of Itaya Kaede(painted maple) as stated above.

It is very hard and the feel of the material is satisfactory. The surface of the body is smooth owing to

the finishing using buff by hand and has no coating. So we can enjoy the feel of wood. The both ends

of the pen are also wood and the curved surface is processed beautifully. The color of the body was

light brown, but has grown to be rather dark brown and shiny before long. The nib is monotone gold

and golden parts are used as the clip and ring. The grip section is black resin. It is rational that the

grip section is made of resin because it is liable to be stained with ink. I think that the combination

of gold, brown and black is quiet and pretty well. "CUSTOM ART CRAFT JAPAN" is carved on the

cap end ring. The clip is a simple ball type and "PILOT" is carved on it. This pen has nothing novel,

but I think I will not be bored with the pen after I use it for a long time as a writing instrument.

upper: Maple lower: Pilot65

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020799.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020800.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020810.jpg

3 Weight & Dimensions (10/10) The length of this pen is almost the same as that of Montblanc

146 or Pilot65 measuring 143mm long capped, 127mm uncapped and 159mm posted(when capped it

is longer than Custom74 and shorter than Custom742, when posted the longest among these pens) .

The maximum diameter of the barrel is 15mm. It weighs about 21g(22g with ink full of Con-70). Pilot

stated that they considered the thickness, balance and weight of Pilot65 through and through, and the

weight, dimensions and shape of this Maple is almost the same as those of Pilot65. So I feel that it fits

my hands almost perfectly as I stated in the review of Pilot65

4 Nib & Performance (10/10) This pen comes with a 14k monotone gold M nib (F, M and B are

available.). The size of the nib is No.10 of Pilot that is attached to Custom 742, Bamboo, Pilot70 and

so on. This nib is the same as the nib of Pilot65 above mentioned and the most impressive thing is

that the nib is bended under (of course, the feeder is designed exclusively for this nib) and pretty flexible.

The taste of it is quite different from ordinary Pilot nib. Very smooth, like skating on ice and I have a

feeling that the nib sticks to the paper. The line it puts down is only a bit finer than that of my Waterman

Leman100M and Parker Duofold True Blue M. I use this pen to make a note on business occasionally

using Pilot Black ink. I always appreciate the goodness of this pen afresh when I use it.

left: Pilot65 right: Maple

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020801.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020802.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020798.jpg

5 Filling System (9/10) It comes with Pilot Con-70 converter that is Push Button type and hold

most ink(about 1.1ml) among Pilot converters (other Con-20, Con-50). It is very easy to fill it up with

ink. Of course, Pilot cartridge can be used.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020792.jpg

6 Cost & Value (9/10) - The list price was 20,000 yen(+1,000yen consumption tax) in Japan, about

$215 at current rate. I fortunately bought this pen at 70 % of the list price. At that time there was

no other choices and I could not choose the best one among many pens without haste. But the consequent

was not bad. I am fully satisfied with the pen that I got. The Maple is current goods and not novelty,

so we can get the Maple at any stationary shops in Japan (in case of no stock, of course we can order.)

You may get the Maple at an auction at a discount. But the grains of the Maple differ respectively, so

I think that you had better choose your most favorite Maple at the counter in a real shop. At that time

you will usually have to pay the list price. I think the Maple is worth the list price.

7 Conclusion (Final score[57]: 9.5)- This pen does not belong to the category of high end pens, but

it is made elaborately not only by machine but also by hands. It has real capacity though it seems plain

and undemonstrative and it impresses its owner as satisfaction. This pen makes me feel the pride of Pilot

as a fountain pen maker. Anyway, the price is very conscientious. Sailor has started to sell fountain pen

made of Japan cedar at the same price.This is also attractive, but the size of the Sailor is smaller than the

Maple. I would prefer the Maple in the first place.

I am tempted to hold this pen and rub the body gently though there is no use in doing so. It is ordinary

current goods and I have heard no rumor that it will be discontinued. So it is not necessary to get the Maple

in a hurry, but I strongly advise you to add this pen to your wish list. I would like you to become like-minded

persons who rub this pen gently some day.

Edited by rokurinpapa

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokurinpapa

• Pen2009

• hari317

• MrChar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review. I look forward to more, and good job on finding this pen at the price you did... I may have to pull the trigger and get one.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

Hisashiburi da na!

Thanks for another entertaining review, Rokurinpapa-san.

Just in case anyone else was wondering, "scantling" is, in fact, a word! (I had to look it up :embarrassed_smile: )

According to the Shorter Oxford

scantling n E16

a A timber beam of small cross section, esp. one less than five inches square; collect. sing. timber cut to such a size. M17

Thank you all for kind words.

I am sorry for my not good English.I do not know if "scantling" is right word. I want to say square wood stick.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Pilot%20Maple/P1020663.jpg

rokurinpapa

Thanks for this excellent detailed review Rokurinpapa. I have been looking for this pen and hope to own this pen soon, God willing.

It is really fascinating to learn that the cap and barrel are fashioned from the same piece of wood. You are lucky to be able to choose the grain pattern before buying, This pen is not sold in India and I have no option but to accept whatever patternm the seller sends.

Best Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am sorry for my not good English.I do not know if "scantling" is right word. I want to say square wood stick.

Eijirou strikes again! 奴は時々奇妙な定義があるものだな...

"Scantling" is a correct, though somewhat arcane word to use. They are usually referred to as a "blank", in the pen-turners forum.

Dictionaries aside, it is a beautiful pen, Rokurinpapa san! I always enjoy the detailed backround information you put into your reviews.

Excellent review! I especially appreciate the construction details and dimensions that you provided. This one will go high on my wishlist.

This is a cool pen that I've never seen before. We know the basic chassis of the pen with the Con-70 convertor just rocks as it does in countless other iterations of Pilot pens. In the US there is only the demonstrator and urushi makie models generally available. Thanks for this informative review.

Another special aspect of the Custom Maple is its all plastic section, I guess this pen can be used as an ED filled pen as well?

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Rokurinpapa, this was an excellent, very professional review. I enjoyed reading it. The pen is very interesting, and looks to be a fine intrument worthy of thought. My wooden pen phase has dwindled, but I'm still interested in well-made, unique pieces.

I like your use of the word "scantling." It sounds more interesting and brings more to the visualization of the process of the pen's creation than the word "blank."

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

very nice pen :thumbup: , it is the japanese equivalent of the wooden waterman le man 100

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for the informative review and photos.

How would you compare the Maple's nib to a Custom 742 with a soft nib?

-Mike

Another special aspect of the Custom Maple is its all plastic section, I guess this pen can be used as an ED filled pen as well?

Regards,

Hari

I am very interested in your opinion. I do not know the way to make an ED filled pen, but I think the Maple can not be used as

an ED filled pen. The wood of the Maple will absorb the ink . So I am taking care not to make the wood stained with ink.

rokurinpapa

I do not know the way to make an ED filled pen, but I think the Maple can not be used as

an ED filled pen. The wood of the Maple will absorb the ink . So I am taking care not to make the wood stained with ink.

Rokurinpapa, can you check inside the barrel, is it lined with plastic upto the bottom or is the wood exposed? If it is exposed, then it is not worth risking the staining of the wood.

Regards,

Hari

very nice pen :thumbup: , it is the japanese equivalent of the wooden waterman le man 100

Thank you for your comment. I like le man 100 very much. I have Patrician and Opera but do not have

wooden le man100.I think le man 100 is high end pen.

rokurinpapa

Thanks for the informative review and photos.

How would you compare the Maple's nib to a Custom 742 with a soft nib?

-Mike

I do not have Custom742. So I ask your question to my friend. He said that the Maple M is more flexible than 742M

, but 742SM is more flexible than the Maple.

rokurinpapa