The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ancora Calamus

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 15:28

Following the dictates of style of that period, Ancora introduced, at the beginning of the '50s, its last successful model: the "Calamus" pen.

1.jpg

At a first glance, you might easily confuse the Calamus with Ancora's earlier line of pens called "Lusso", especially if you compare the version with the metal cap.

4.jpg

In natural fact, the Calamus is an evolution of the Lusso line, with three main innovations: the hooded (and semi-hooded) nib, the push-on cap and the material.

5.jpg

The cap is basically identical to the Lusso one: same design, same clip with embossed & enamelled logo, same plastic cap top which matches the color of the pen.
But it is a push-on type cap which allows the Calamus to gain a very clean design and streamlined shape, when open.
For what I know, the Calamus cap does not have venting holes that might disturb its appearance.

I do not personally get crazy for hooded nibs, but the Calamus' semi-hooded one...I LOVE it !!! It just looks like it has been dipped, along with part of the section, in liquid gold !
The hood screws on a double threaded unit, which carries a metal ring to hold the cap in place.

2.jpg

Ancora made several versions of the Calamus, with full body overlay or metal cap, hooded or semi-hooded nib, different colours (plain), but they are all piston fillers.
The piston has a cork seal.
I am not sure if Ancora ever made Calamus pens using celluloid. All of the Calamus I saw had plastic bodies.
Without a visulated barrel, the translucent property of the resin may help you checking the ink level

3.jpg

...and if you have that X-ray sight ... it definitely helps!
;)

Sponsored Content

#2 sanpei

sanpei

La Z0NA is Here, Be Happy!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:02

Graet article and images,
thanks for showing!

S
Do you have vintage AURORA or WILLIAMSON,
italian WWII militaria for sale or trade? Please contact me.

Looking for 1950'S AURORA 88?
Other vintage italian pens?

Here's the Answer!
www.zona900.com

#3 Jeff L

Jeff L

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:09

Well done.

So the Calamus production overlapped the Lusso by some years. Do you know the years of production for these models?

I seldom see Calamus ads from this period of time. Were the models ever jointly advertised?

Ancora_Lusso_Green.jpg

#4 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 13:31

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Things with Ancora are quite misterious sometimes and I have to say I am not an expert, I love this brand and I am trying to collect pens and info about it.
However, I believe Ancora overlapped the production of Lusso and Calamus models, offering pens with or without hooded nibs at the same time.
I don't have Calamus Ads but I do have Lusso one from the '50s. The Lusso line had been introduced at the end of the World War 2, the Calamus at the end of the 40's for approx 10 years...the production of the 2 models overlaps for few years. I've also seen Ancora models with mixed features: hooded nib, push on celluloid cap with band and Lusso clip, ringed celluloid body. The Lusso line had a good success, I don't think the Calamus was meant to replace it.
We need a catalogue, don't we ?! ;)

My pens says Ancora was an artisan. That means sometimes freedom...decades later, it could mean confusion. (I love this excuse for my lack of contents !!!)

Jeff, thanks for that Lusso pic...lovely.

Z

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2010 - 16:52

very nice pens thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2010 - 17:32

Very interesting pen Zanio, thanks for sharing!
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 20:17

Wow, those are gorgeous.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#8 Bryant

Bryant

Chatterleyluxuries.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2010 - 23:43

I usually dont like hooded nibs, but those are cool!

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on... 

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

#9 gicoteni

gicoteni

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2010 - 20:29

Zanio, very interesting pen and beautiful pictures. Thank you. Yes, all about Ancora is a bit "mysterious"… see the book of Letizia: the name of the founder (Zanini or Zannini?) .. tha date of establishment (1909!? .. the first Italian pen factory!?).

Further more Ancora pens and documents are scarce. I have this "22", a model of late '30s, in amber celluloid with 585 gold nib.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:19

Yes Gicoteni, it is hard to find informations and documents regarding the history of Ancora. I wish I had more time for that research... little by little...with a bit of luck. I know, it is gonna be a lifetime commitment...maybe longer!
Probably, at the beginning, Zanini was just assembling pens, rather than making them. Probably the real Ancora pens production started in the early '20s. I do have few roads which I want to follow and that might lead to some surprise. However, I am in a really really early stage.

Your "22" is a beautiful little pen. Simple, classic design and high level of quality. Its colour is gorgeous.

#11 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:30

Nice pen history. We need more info like this about the great designs of the past.

#12 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:23

These are lovely. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the present day Ancora now that there's a U.S. distributor again. :cloud9:

#13 shrinknib

shrinknib

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2010 - 13:23

I have learnt something today...only 40 minutes left!

Thank you for posting this beautiful pen topic and pictures. I'm sure we all look forward to any more information you uncover and support your search!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.
Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

#14 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 00:45

Lovely, lovely...just lovely :) Thank you for sharing.
Tamara

#15 simp

simp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:10

Zanio, very interesting pen and beautiful pictures. Thank you. Yes, all about Ancora is a bit "mysterious"… see the book of Letizia: the name of the founder (Zanini or Zannini?) .. tha date of establishment (1909!? .. the first Italian pen factory!?).

That 1909 date is given by Lambrou book, reporting the Ancora foundation at Sesto Calende by Giuseppe Zanini.

But in 1909 Zanini was 12 years old, and the production was moved to Sesto Calende from Bologna in 1925.

So Ancora exact foundation date is still unknown, but what is clearly known is that Lambrou is wrong and 1909 is not a correct date.

Simone
Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it
Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)
Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

#16 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:59

That 1909 date is given by Lambrou book, reporting the Ancora foundation at Sesto Calende by Giuseppe Zanini.

But in 1909 Zanini was 12 years old, and the production was moved to Sesto Calende from Bologna in 1925.

So Ancora exact foundation date is still unknown, but what is clearly known is that Lambrou is wrong and 1909 is not a correct date.

Simone

Hi Simone,
sorry but I do not understand why you say that Giuseppe Zanini, in 1909, was only 12 years old !? :blink:
He was born in 1879, right ?! So, in 1909 he was 30 year old, more or less, but not 12 !

Z

#17 JShaft

JShaft

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:55

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Things with Ancora are quite misterious sometimes and I have to say I am not an expert, I love this brand and I am trying to collect pens and info about it.
However, I believe Ancora overlapped the production of Lusso and Calamus models, offering pens with or without hooded nibs at the same time.
I don't have Calamus Ads but I do have Lusso one from the '50s. The Lusso line had been introduced at the end of the World War 2, the Calamus at the end of the 40's for approx 10 years...the production of the 2 models overlaps for few years. I've also seen Ancora models with mixed features: hooded nib, push on celluloid cap with band and Lusso clip, ringed celluloid body. The Lusso line had a good success, I don't think the Calamus was meant to replace it.
We need a catalogue, don't we ?! ;)

My pens says Ancora was an artisan. That means sometimes freedom...decades later, it could mean confusion. (I love this excuse for my lack of contents !!!)

Jeff, thanks for that Lusso pic...lovely.

Z

Can you tell me about the Ancora Perla and the Ancora Gaudi? I really like the look of these pens and I read about them in Paul Erano's book. Are they good for everyday users and how much do they cost? Where is the best place to purchase from?
Thanks,
JShaft

#18 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:51

[/quote]
Can you tell me about the Ancora Perla and the Ancora Gaudi? I really like the look of these pens and I read about them in Paul Erano's book. Are they good for everyday users and how much do they cost? Where is the best place to purchase from?
Thanks,
JShaft
[/quote]

I am sorry JShaft, I would be happy to help you answering your questions, but I know nothing about modern Ancora pens.
My interest focuses on the vintage production only.

Kind regards
Z

#19 fabbale

fabbale

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 14:47

Simone

Oh..... I LOVE ANCORA. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 18:12

Look at this...price tag and Zanio nib. Well done !!!

Sponsored Content

|