Malware Problem Fixed

Admin

We should find the perpetrator and force him or her to write with old Bic pens found inbetween couch cushions! :angry:

...on greasy sandpaper!

I had complete faith that our stalwart admin team would get everything fixed in good time. Thank you, congratulations, & w00t! :notworthy1: :clap1:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• SamCapote

• Ray-Vigo

• jpl

Thank you Mods!! I quit my other addictions on June 8th as I figured my time had come.:headsmack: All back to normal, now. Thanks! :thumbup:

I entered the site accepting the risk and no malware entered my PC.Did they really found malware code in the site or was just a false positive?

I did the same thing and, yes, my pc was infected.

I run my resident anti-virus program, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, daily. When I prompted it to do an additional scan after all the warnings I saw in trying to get into FPN it found "dangerous" hidden files and other items it classified as "malware." I didn't have the presence of mind to do screen dumps of the alert pages. I wish I had so I could submit them to the mods here.

Anyway, I immediately ran the search & destroy software and it reported that my machine has been cleaned. However, I now have a boot up issue. It reports that a "key file is inaccessible" so I may need to do additional recovery. At least my machine is working.

This is what is happening to my daughters machine. The boot process takes it to a black screen which asks if you want to boot regular or safe mode. No matter which you select it eventually gets back to this screen. I have found that if you select safe mode and press escape to prevent it loading all the DLL's it will enter safe mode. I have just dropped it off at the store for professional attention.

Hitman told me I had two Trogans....and I'd not used it in a while.

I'm glad you are clear on this brouser, on Mozella-foxfire your are still not clear.

Withdrawl symtoms to the max, even read a book....almost started back on mine

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you for your hard work and for saving my bank account! One more day and I was going to have to go random pen shopping, without FPN guidance! :yikes: That would have been a nightmare of grand proportions!!

Lashelle

No, it wasn't a false positive....my PC was heavily affected and it took IT two hours to scrub my computer, bless their hearts and brilliant minds! I will take the above advice and check my Mac, since I used it also during the malware period to log on. I agree with all...there is no other website even close to FPN and I was in full withdrawal!

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

Welcome Back!!!! I was worried, had the cold sweats....especially as I had just struck a deal with someone but we hadn't exchanged email yet!!! Keep up all the good work.

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

It's so good to be back so we can talk for hours about nothing.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

The Malware corrupted a bunch of files on my Mac. Had to run the installation utility diagnostics to fix the problem. Suggest other Mac users do the same.

Agreed.

I entered the site accepting the risk and no malware entered my PC.Did they really found malware code in the site or was just a false positive?

Yes, we did. I can forward a copy to you if you like, of the three pieces we found :D.

obviously it wasn't just malware:

...what's all this mess at the bottom of each page?

Share this topic:

• ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/twitter.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/facebook.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/digg.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/buzz.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/delicious.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/reddit.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/stumble.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/email.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/print.png
  • ../../../public/style_extra/sharelinks/download.png

I don't see this. Try clearing your browser cache and temp files etc., as indicated in th epinned FAQ pos tin th eMembers Helping Members forum

Thanks FPN Admin for getting the site back up and running. I too would like to know more details as to what the malware contents were so I may check my machine more thoroughly. I've used Malwarebytes to scan my computer, and it came up clean. However, one can never be too sure.

On a different note, I am outraged towards the hacker and very sympathetic to FPN Admin and its members. Even though I'm a fairly new member to this community, this is one of very few sites in which some civility, integrity and respect are exercised by the majority of the members. It's refreshing to see that some ol' fashioned yet timeless values still exist in the virtual realm. Because of that, I've felt very safe in perusing the contents as well as doing business with the members. However, this past incident made me feel like a victim of a robbery. No one likes the feeling of violation and the realization that something is not safe anymore.

FPN Admin, you have my sympathies, and I hope you have the means to prevent such occurrences in the future. Great job and thank you for providing a forum where people like me can obtain helpful information and great deals to feed our passions/addictions.

The malware was injected via a php-script through a loophole in the code managing the skin cacheing. What it did is hide itself from view and logging, and occasionally pick up a virus from one or two sites specifically created to host viruses, worms, etc., and passing it on to one of the pages that were dynamically created. The malware was of the backdoor type.

BTW, that was a very clever piece of coding. I just wish they used that cleverness for better purposes.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

" But face it, Pentrace is the only other game in town and all the FPNers go there when our home is down!"

Not necessarily true--I rarely go to Pentrace and I didn't go when the site went down. I sat back and waited

for the site to come back up.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

The Malware corrupted a bunch of files on my Mac. Had to run the installation utility diagnostics to fix the problem. Suggest other Mac users do the same.

What symptons did you experience that let you know your mac had been infected?

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

Kudos to the admin team for cleaning up the problem. It is sad that a person decided to use their creativity to be destructive. I hope that everyone is able to clean their computers without major difficulties. Now I need to got off and scan mine.

Spattz

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.....................biggrin.gif

Thanks,guys................

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Is it possible to get a specific account of the malware, e.g. its name, symptoms, and method of repair? I installed iAntiVirus on my MacBook, and it found nothing. I've had no problems.

But I'd like to make sure.

Edited by DAYoung

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

I am on a Macbook, running the latest version of Snow Leopard. I accessed FPN via Safari Tuesday morning some time before Google blocked the site. I don't know if it was before or during or after the malware attacks. My computer seemed fine, but I got worried when other Mac users posted here about being infected. So I downloaded and installed Virus Barrier X6, and ran a full scan today--nothing came up. I assume that my Macbook is clean.