Malware Problem Fixed

Admin

Thank you to all who helped get things back to normal. I have a new Mac and haven't had any trouble, but since I got the super-extra protection plan at Best Buy they said they would check out my computer and see if there is any problem. I'll report back and see if they found anything.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• SamCapote

• Ray-Vigo

• jpl

Glad you're up and running again. I find it sad that people want to attack a harmless pen site. :-(

Harmless? Don't you know that the pen is mightier than the sword! :)

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Many, many thanks.

Now you Admins can get back to your day job, and the rest of us can get back to our addiction.

Is it true that this all started when someone tried to set up a Lamy Safari Forum?

Really...can't thank you all enough.

Many thanks to the admins for all their hard work in restoring the board. It was missed.....

The perpetrator of the attack needs hanging out to dry at the very least. Good thing I am not in a position to catch the menace.

I was thinking more in terms of ocular surgery with a blunt nib.

Edited by Scrawler

Thanks to all for your great diligence. I figured the site was down being cleaned since I had seen the Google warning. My computer was safe. Thanks again. Sorry for any grey hairs you've all received.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

I entered the site accepting the risk and no malware entered my PC.Did they really found malware code in the site or was just a false positive?

I did the same thing and, yes, my pc was infected.

I run my resident anti-virus program, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, daily. When I prompted it to do an additional scan after all the warnings I saw in trying to get into FPN it found "dangerous" hidden files and other items it classified as "malware." I didn't have the presence of mind to do screen dumps of the alert pages. I wish I had so I could submit them to the mods here.

Anyway, I immediately ran the search & destroy software and it reported that my machine has been cleaned. However, I now have a boot up issue. It reports that a "key file is inaccessible" so I may need to do additional recovery. At least my machine is working.

Many, many thanks.

Now you Admins can get back to your day job, and the rest of us can get back to our addiction.

Is it true that this all started when someone tried to set up a Lamy Safari Forum?

Really...can't thank you all enough.

I can neither confirm nor deny :bunny01:

Without FPN, I was forced to go antique shop prowling looking for fountain pens. It was terrible.

By the way I found a very nice brown striated Sheaffer Triumph (1500) that just so happened to be on a Holy Grail list.

Jolly me!

Glad we're back, and thanks for your efforts. This happened to my own site last year, and it was just as frustrating getting Google to acknowledge the clean-up. Still, their turnaround time isn't as slow as that of some ISP's email blacklisting engines, where an innocent address can be blocked for years.

How do you know if your site has been affected by something like this? I have a site that only the home page is viewable. I don't know why, and I haven't had the time to look into it. It is very aggravating as I had photos there (it was meant as a photo site).

Diane

Smith Premier No. 4

The Malware corrupted a bunch of files on my Mac. Had to run the installation utility diagnostics to fix the problem. Suggest other Mac users do the same.

Wait? What? I thought Macs were impervious to such assaults. Agh. I'm crushed.

(smart alek PC user who couldn't resist and who will probably now pay dearly for it in karmic fashion)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Wait? What? I thought Macs were impervious to such assaults. Agh. I'm crushed.

Oh, snap. :lol:

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Glad you're up and running again. I find it sad that people want to attack a harmless pen site. :-(

Harmless? Don't you know that the pen is mightier than the sword! :)

+1

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

Thank goodness it is now fixed. I've been wanting to tell a couple people about this site but couldn't possibly do so when it was in such a state. At least I was able to get a couple fountain pen converts over the past week anyway.smile.gif

I think you should send out snail mail letters to everyone to "Only Open In Time of Emergency" and inside would be some sort of scratch and sniff ink related thing that we could use as a "withdrawal fix" in similar events, to stave off more severe (personally embarassing) symptions.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Thank you FPN and Admins! I missed you!!!! So glad to have FPN back :)

Tamara