Lapis 1935 - Is Celluloid Shrinkage Common?

eric47

Just received what was advertised as a never used Lapis 1935, and it certainly looks so. However, I noticed some very slight shrinkage of the celluloid in the barrel. The shrinkage in the middle of the celluloid in the barrel -- between the piston mechanism near the knob and the piston itself in its up position. It's about 5mm in length along the barrel in that area and the barrel diameter is small in that area. So the barrel is a little undulated. But the cap is perfect.

It's not that bad, it doesn't seen to be affecting the movement of the piston, although the seal will need to be replaced -- ink is passing the first piston ring. :rolleyes:

But my question is, has anyone else experienced shrinkage with their Lapis 1935s? I'm wondering if there is an issue with the celluloid used. My Jade 1935 has no such issues, but that's a different celluloid.

Thanks.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric47

• david3000

• Rick Propas

• daenghafez

ocalafl guy, the estie guru, commented that some shrinkage is normal with age. he commented about a guy's estie where the cap was shrinking around the inner cap liner thing. so i guess it's normal?

ocalafl guy, the estie guru, commented that some shrinkage is normal with age. he commented about a guy's estie where the cap was shrinking around the inner cap liner thing. so i guess it's normal?

Well, I'm no stranger to modern or vintage celluloid shrinkage -- and even mixed cases of modern Viscontis made out of vintage celluloid. I've seen celluloid shrinkage on some of my modern Omas pens, depends on the celluloid.

My Jade 1935 is perfect, so I wondering whether there might be an issue with the Lapis celluloid or just the pen I received. If it's common enough, then maybe I won't be as bothered by it. :rolleyes:

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Well, I'm no stranger to modern or vintage celluloid shrinkage -- and even mixed cases of modern Viscontis made out of vintage celluloid. I've seen celluloid shrinkage on some of my modern Omas pens, depends on the celluloid.

My Jade 1935 is perfect, so I wondering whether there might be an issue with the Lapis celluloid or just the pen I received. If it's common enough, then maybe I won't be as bothered by it. :rolleyes:

eric, I'd definitely run it by the local Pelikan service center.

My Website

eric, I'd definitely run it by the local Pelikan service center.

Thanks Jar,

I shot an email to the local website, mentioning the celluloid and whether it made sense to send it to them or directly to Germany. Still waiting for a reply.

A store near me repairs many brands of pens and while they fix Pelikans, they said the 1935 would probably have to go a Pelikan service center because of they probably don't have the correct piston seal -- leaving aside the issues with the celluloid.

i am not familiar with the model, does the piston run directly inside the celluloid barrel or is the celluloid barrel just a wraparound binde?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

i am not familiar with the model, does the piston run directly inside the celluloid barrel or is the celluloid barrel just a wraparound binde?

Very good question, that I do not know. It's a modern LE.

Still haven't heard from my local Pelikan. Anyone have a contact email for Pelikan service in Germany?

It sees to me that shrinkage in a LE modern Pelikan is a manufacturing defect. The leaking piston is (I feel), something you should not have to deal with. I assume you are not the original owner, so the warantee aspect is probably not available.

I would write Pelikan in Germany, and ask if shrinkage is a "normal occurance", with their LE Lapis ( which is a stunning pen, by the way).

Their reply should be interesting .....

In any event, sending it to them, would be ... almost,..... the only thing you could do.

Good Luck !

"Beautiful is that which happens without interest"

Kant

I have seen hard rubber shrink more often the celluloid. If I am thinking about the same instance that watch_art is commenting on, that was due to a chemical reaction with an ink.

I do recall a story about the earliest celluloids shrinking but that was overcome by curing them for three months in a hot room before making them into pens IIRC.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I have seen hard rubber shrink more often the celluloid. If I am thinking about the same instance that watch_art is commenting on, that was due to a chemical reaction with an ink.

I do recall a story about the earliest celluloids shrinking but that was overcome by curing them for three months in a hot room before making them into pens IIRC.

Unless the pen was cleaned very well very well, it was never filled. Plus the shrinkage is *behind* the piston, so unlikely caused by ink even if it were filled.

On modern pens, indeed, as the process was "re-discovered" after many years, improper curing is typically the cause cited for shrinkage.

Eric,

Apologies for my delayed response. I don't really have any suggestions regarding Pelikan service in Italy, but I can tell you that my own Lapis 1935 has the same problem, though it fills just fine. I only skimmed the thread, but as far as seal replacement, the seal on this pen is the same as on any modern M200-M700 series Pelikan. Hope this helps.

Rick

Apologies for my delayed response....I can tell you that my own Lapis 1935 has the same problem, though it fills just fine. I only skimmed the thread, but as far as seal replacement, the seal on this pen is the same as on any modern M200-M700 series Pelikan. Hope this helps.

Rick, absolutely no problems for delay. That information helps a lot; I can send the pen to my local shop who can do the seal; I've live the celluloid "imperfections"; it's not too bad. rolleyes.gif I have some Viscontis that are worse.

• 6 months later...

The wavy unevenness of the celluloid binde is not caused by shrinkage but simply part of the milling process. Every 1935 LE I've owned has had this. There's even a review out there talking about how the LE's aren't as smooth as the vintage pens.

It's strange how the binde has these wavy imperfections and yet the cap is perfect.

Still haven't heard from my local Pelikan. Anyone have a contact email for Pelikan service in Germany?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the shrinkage of your lapis 1935. I have a problem to my 1931 white double gold several years ago although it was not on the celluloid but on the discolorization of the hard rubber. I complaint both to Pelikan Germany and Pelikan Malaysia which Germany passed back to Malaysia to handle since the pen was bought here.

Their answer would be that they wont replace any part of the OOTT pens since the problem will recur. It seems that there were various complaints on these pens although they never highlighted to me what other problems on this pen. Eventually, Pelikan Malaysia offered me a refund or any purchase of their limited edition pens with the same price of this pen in return of the pen, which I politely declined as I was and until now still fond of this pen.

I'm sorry to bring this news to you but perhaps you might have better luck than me once you lodge your complaint to Pelikan. Good luck and do keep us posted.

The wavy unevenness of the celluloid binde is not caused by shrinkage but simply part of the milling process. Every 1935 LE I've owned has had this. There's even a review out there talking about how the LE's aren't as smooth as the vintage pens.

It's strange how the binde has these wavy imperfections and yet the cap is perfect.

As I mentioned at the outset, I own both the Jade and Lapis 1935. My Jade is perfect, which inclines me to think it's most likely shrinkage. I believe the Jade was released first, so it seems odd that to me that Pelikan would retool for a different and worse effect on the binde. But the fact that the unevenness is common is good to know, thanks.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the shrinkage of your lapis 1935. I have a problem to my 1931 white double gold several years ago although it was not on the celluloid but on the discolorization of the hard rubber. I complaint both to Pelikan Germany and Pelikan Malaysia which Germany passed back to Malaysia to handle since the pen was bought here.

Their answer would be that they wont replace any part of the OOTT pens since the problem will recur. It seems that there were various complaints on these pens although they never highlighted to me what other problems on this pen. Eventually, Pelikan Malaysia offered me a refund or any purchase of their limited edition pens with the same price of this pen in return of the pen, which I politely declined as I was and until now still fond of this pen.

I'm sorry to bring this news to you but perhaps you might have better luck than me once you lodge your complaint to Pelikan. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Thanks for the information about your experiences with the OOTT pens. Again, this is an old thread that got bumped. Based on Rick's comments -- that his Lapis too has some undulations in the binde -- I decided to let the problem go. I quite like the Lapis celluloid, and it's the shrinkage on mine is not that bad. My local shop swapped the piston seal, and the pen fills fine and doesn't leak.

Eric,

Apologies for my delayed response. I don't really have any suggestions regarding Pelikan service in Italy, but I can tell you that my own Lapis 1935 has the same problem, though it fills just fine. I only skimmed the thread, but as far as seal replacement, the seal on this pen is the same as on any modern M200-M700 series Pelikan. Hope this helps.

Rick

Rick,

I have the same problem of the ink getting past the first seal. Could you give instructions on how to replace the seal on the OOTT 1935 LE's? And do you sell the replacement seals?

Thanks, David

• 1 year later...

Just received what was advertised as a never used Lapis 1935, and it certainly looks so. However, I noticed some very slight shrinkage of the celluloid in the barrel. The shrinkage in the middle of the celluloid in the barrel -- between the piston mechanism near the knob and the piston itself in its up position. It's about 5mm in length along the barrel in that area and the barrel diameter is small in that area. So the barrel is a little undulated. But the cap is perfect.

It's not that bad, it doesn't seen to be affecting the movement of the piston, although the seal will need to be replaced -- ink is passing the first piston ring. :rolleyes:

But my question is, has anyone else experienced shrinkage with their Lapis 1935s? I'm wondering if there is an issue with the celluloid used. My Jade 1935 has no such issues, but that's a different celluloid.

Thanks.

Hi

I read with interest your thread concerning your Lapis 1935 LE. I just got one and noticed that it also has a wavy celluloid barrel but it works nicely . Did you get any resolution to your Questions from Pelikan? Do you know whether it has effected the value of the pen?

Thanks for raising this issue.

David

David,

In the end I never contacted Pelikan. When Rick responded that his shows the same problem, I decided to consider it a problem with the modern celluloid that plagued pen and celluloid manufacturers in the early 1990s during the modern rebirth of celluloid at that time. Issues with Italian pens made in some but not all celluloid are fairly well known, and the lore is that the celluloid on the 1935s is Italian in origin. Certain Omas celluloids (1st years of production) for instance suffer shrinkage more than others.

I figured that Rick has had his pen at the outset and no doubt properly stored and cared for, while I got mine off eBay. If a well tended pen shows shrinkage then it's probably the celluloid I assume rightly or wrongly.

The seal was replaced on mine and it fills and works just fine.

• 3 years later...