Greetings from Scotland!

CelticBhoy

Hi there,

I've just discovered this forum and thought it would make sense to join in and make a contribution, instead of just being an onlooker.

I've used fountain pens consistently for around 20 hears or so and I'm regarded as a bit of an odd ball around the office for refusing to use ballpoints. My first pen was a Parker Vectra which was followed later with a bright red Lamy Safari. My first "expensive" pen was an emerald green Parker 75 Custom, which I purchased in Edinburgh at the Jenners sale. Over the years I have chopped and changed my pens by buying and selling on Ebay and Zoss. I currently own a Waterman Pileas (f), Pelikan M805 (om) - this my best pen ever! and I have owned an MB 149! However I returned to my love of Lamy pens and took the plunge and bought a Lamy 2000, which arrived yesterday. I must admit I'm very impressed.

My wife says that I'm addicted to buying bottles of ink - I have drawers full of ink at home and at the office. My favourite inks are Aurora Black, PR DC Supershow Blue (which I reckon is close enough to my all-time favourite Penman Saphire) and PR Sherwood Green.

Anyway I think that's enough of an introduction

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Graham :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CelticBhoy

• DilettanteG

• mfwebb

• pigpogm

Welcome to FPN, Graham. I work with a little Scots woman and I tease her all the time by calling her Irish. We really get along fine. Welcome.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Hi Graham,

Welcome! This is the right place for an ink addict, I believe.

Ringtop (Vida)

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."

-- Jane Austen, letter from December 24 1798

Hi Graham,

Welcome to FPN. You have a nice collection of pens. I have a Waterman Phileas (M) which I love to write with. My addiction however lies in vintage pens mainly the Parker 51 and Esterbrooks. :)9

I also have an ink addiction and have many bottles in my office. A great way to try new inks is to do the ink exchange here on FPN. It's pinned in the Inky Thoughts forum.

My husband and I have visited Scotland once and loved it. We hope to visit again in a couple of years.

I hope you glean new information, thoughts and ideas by being part of FPN.

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

Welcome, Graham, from a UK member in Lincoln.

I have a Pelikan 800 with B nib which is my all time favourite. I also have 2 Pelikan 200's.

I have had a 40 year passion with Parker and have a Parker Duofold (1996) and a Golden Arrow from the 80's. I also have 2 Vectors and 2 Reflexs. All my other Parkers have either been lost, thrown away or, more recently, sold on e-bay.

My 2 remaining quality Parkers have been "retired" from daily use since I discovered the Chinese "cheap and cheerful" Duke range of pens. The 3 Dukes I have are far smoother writers than any Parker I have ever owned, including the Duofold.

All the best.

Malcolm Webb, Lincoln UK

When somebody asks me what Rotary is all about

I tell them it's all about Fun, Fellowship & Caring Service.

Welcome, Graham, from another 'CelticBhoy' :P I also have a wife who thinks that I'm addicted to buying ink.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Hi Graham,

Welcome to FPN. You have a nice collection of pens. I have a Waterman Phileas (M) which I love to write with. My addiction however lies in vintage pens mainly the Parker 51 and Esterbrooks. :)9

I also have an ink addiction and have many bottles in my office. A great way to try new inks is to do the ink exchange here on FPN. It's pinned in the Inky Thoughts forum.

My husband and I have visited Scotland once and loved it. We hope to visit again in a couple of years.

I hope you glean new information, thoughts and ideas by being part of FPN.

Thanks for the welcome Rosie, I've often thought of trying a Parker 51 - they have a formidable reputation. How do they comapare with the smoothness of the modern pens?

Graham,

Hi & welcome :)

As for the "51" - nothing compares to them - simple as that :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

hi,

you will have to excuse ruaidhri, he is an addict. parker 51s have led him down the road to pen perdition. BEWARE :ph34r:

frankly i like pens--all kinds--i am an accumulator :drool: :)9

this can lead to bankruptcy. :bonk:

but i'm happy!! :D

btw what is in cans of guinness that makes a banging sound when the empty cans are shaken? :blink:

have fun here! :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Edited by aunt rebecca

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

btw what is in cans of guinness that makes a banging sound when the empty cans are shaken?

It's a plastic insert that a small amount of liquid makes its way into inside the can. It has a tiny hole (or several of them) that the liquid squirts out of when the pressure is taken away, and forms a head. That way, you can still get a head on a drink served from a can.

I do hope you weren't asking a Scotsman about Guinness, though?

Welcome, Graham, from a UK member in Lincoln.

Hi, mfwebb, from Bingham, not far the other side of Newark from you ;)

Michael Randall :: PigPog - Cult Pens (UK)

hi,

you will have to excuse ruaidhri, he is an addict. parker 51s have led him down the road to pen perdition. BEWARE :ph34r:

frankly i like pens--all kinds--i am an accumulator :drool: :)9

this can lead to bankruptcy. :bonk:

but i'm happy!! :D

btw what is in cans of guinness that makes a banging sound when the empty cans are shaken? :blink:

have fun here! :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Well observed Pigpogm! However I'm a Scotsman who is second generation Irish - so I love the "Dark Stuff! By the way, I believe the technical term for the rattley, plastic bit is a widget B)

LOL

Graham

Whatever happened to Gillespie's? That was the only Scottish stout I found, and it was very nice. Not sure how the 'real' stuff compared with real Guinness and Murphy's, but it did particularly well in cans, then vanished.

Michael Randall :: PigPog - Cult Pens (UK)

Whatever happened to Gillespie's? That was the only Scottish stout I found, and it was very nice. Not sure how the 'real' stuff compared with real Guinness and Murphy's, but it did particularly well in cans, then vanished.

Scottish & Newcastle stopped producing Gillespies Malt Stout after joining the Beamish & Crawford. The company stout is now Beamish Red. IMHO Gillespies was a superior stout; less carachter than Guinness maybe, but some easier to drink.

Hello Graham and welcome aboard!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Welcome from a fellow ink addict. Not that I want to be an enabler, but can you get Noodlers or Private Reserve in Scotland?

Where abouts do you live? I spent a month on the cliché whirlwind tour there back in 2000. Edinburgh has got to be one of the most beautiful cities on the planet. Plus, there was the added benefit that everyone could pronounce my maiden name and, for one of the few times in my life, I didn't have to wear sunscreen everywhere I went.

Obviously, it's time for another visit. :D

Cheers,

Kate