The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Graf Von Faber-castell Guilloche-rhodium

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2010 - 18:06

Faber Castell is a recent entrant into the Indian Stationery market and are primarily popular here for their art and drawing materials. I was really intrigued to learn that this company has a tradition of making the finest in writing implements since 1761!

This particular model under review appeared on the FPN marketplace a few weeks ago. It was very slightly used and offered at a very attractive price. I happened to be trawling the marketplace at that time and needless to say, pounced upon it. Stephy, the person who sold this pen to me, is a real gem. The pen was very carefully packed for its long journey to India from the US. The package arrived here quite fast.

The pen comes in a simple, but quite nice, cardboard folded box.
Posted Image

The inside of the box has a pen carrier with three slots and faux wooden ends:
Posted Image

The pen carrier tray can be removed to reveal the Guarantee booklet nestled underneath:
Posted Image

The pen capped:
Posted Image

Side view of the elegant spring loaded clip:
Posted Image

The pen uncapped, the section is metallic too, Rhodium coated:
Posted Image

The pen fills using a sturdy Faber Castell converter. The converter is international sized, so this pen can fill using small international carts as well, I used Diamine Woodland for the first fill of this pen:
Posted Image

The plating is highly polished, the cap top acts as a concave mirror!:
Posted Image

The logo just above the clip:
Posted Image

The Engravings on the cap lip:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The nib detail, the same logo on the nib, the nib is Rhodium coated 18K solid gold:
Posted Image

The pen wrote well out of the box. However I felt some scratchiness and found that the nib was misaligned. It was an easy fix that was done immediately. I find that I bond more to the pens that I have worked on myself to make them better...

The Plastic feeder, quite efficient so far:
Posted Image

Amazing attention to detail, the knurling pattern is present on both the ends of the pen. The barrel end is convex.
Posted Image

The Guilloche on the Barrel:
Posted Image

Size and heft:

The pen is just 5 1/8 inches capped, however the weight feels substantial. The pen is well balanced when used unposted, it becomes bottom heavy when posted. The pen is 6 1/2 inches posted.

Ergonomics:

The metal section has not bothered me so far, I was afraid it would. I guess the rhodium coating might have something to do with it. The pen happens to be just slightly shorter than 5 inches uncapped, this and the weight of the pen makes it easy for me to use the pen unposted. I usually post my pens.

The pen has a snap cap but I would have preferred a screw on cap.

Writing:

The pen is faithful M width writer. The flow is even. The nib is rigid but it is not a "hard like a nail" nib.

Filling:

C/C international sized. I have pens of several systems and I don't mind the C/C system, it is easy for me while travelling.

Cost:

This model retails for around 250-300USD, I bought it used, so got it for approx. half the price.

Conclusion:

The pen is substantial, well made with good attention to details, the 18K nib is a good writer, the cap and clip is stylish with a retro look. I am happy!

Cheers!
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 eslemexe

eslemexe

Extremely Rare

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 18:21

I saw this pen in offer for $199 in penboutique (not related), I thought in buying it but I read in some comment that isn't a great pen, at least for writing because in the aesthetics is a gorgeous pen. Is that true or you feel the nib good and smooth?

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2010 - 18:26

...but I read in some comment that isn't a great pen, at least for writing because in the aesthetics is a gorgeous pen. Is that true or you feel the nib good and smooth?

I think it will depend on the particular nib that you get. All the nibs that come out of the factory will have some minute differences. Mine needed just tine balancing, it is a flawless writer now. However as it is said around here, YMMV, so if the pen is on sale for a good price at a store near you, I would advise that you go there, try the pen out, write with it for some time and only buy the pen if you feel it is good for you.

Best,
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:38

Thanks for sharing a detailed review and great photos of a beautiful acquisition!
ron

#5 ANDY101

ANDY101

"I'm writing with a feather...brilliant!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2010 - 19:02

Dear Hari
Now that is a beautiful pen!
Thanks for sharing.
Andy

#6 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2010 - 19:18

Very cool. Faber-Castell makes some nice stuff; I'm considering picking up an Ondoro or a Graf Intuition one of these days.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#7 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 22:26

Got one in Cognac. Classy, tough, beautiful nib and a snap cap which I prefer. Beautiful packaging..............I like that company.
Thanks

#8 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2010 - 14:25

Thanks for sharing a detailed review and great photos of a beautiful acquisition!
ron

Dear Hari
Now that is a beautiful pen!
Thanks for sharing.
Andy

Thank you Ron and Andy, I had to write a review of this pen, this pen is full of details.

Very cool. Faber-Castell makes some nice stuff; I'm considering picking up an Ondoro or a Graf Intuition one of these days.

I just had a look at the Intuition, it is very neautiful and it seems it will have a superb grip. The Ondoro seems to be the other side of the spectrum with its steel nib and short grip but a nice faceted cap.

Got one in Cognac. Classy, tough, beautiful nib and a snap cap which I prefer. Beautiful packaging..............I like that company.
Thanks

I am just beginning to appreciate this company. Thanks!

#9 Montblue

Montblue

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 19:10

I prefer this one -Horse hair.jpg available at our blog
Visit our shop at our blog for limited pens and deals such as free engraving
http://montblancconn...r.blogspot.com/

#10 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 23:07

Faber-Castell bought up Osmia, for the Osmia nibs and name. Unfortunately, eventually closed down Osmia and their fine Supra nib.
You can find Osmia pens with Osmia diamond on top and Farber Castell in small letters, Osmia-Farber-Castell with the Osmia diamond, and My Osmia-Farber-Castell, they had stopped using the Osmia diamond....rats.
A Great Osmia steel Supra semi-flex nib though. Supra nibs also came in gold.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#11 bluemoon

bluemoon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:22

Great review, and as usual great photos Hari. And a real nice pen indeed. I saw a variation of this in Berlin, but the price was not very attractive :crybaby: (Euro was very strong then). Maybe I will get one of them in future. Thanks for the nice review.

"This is my prayer to thee, my lord---strike,
strike at the root of penury in my heart.
Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows.
Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.
Give me the strength never to disown the poor
or bend my knees before insolent might.
Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles.
And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love. "

Rabindranath Tagore.

#12 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:29

Graf von Faber Castell has been one of those brands I've long admired but never touched,
mainly due to the high pricing. I was really interested in the Intuition at one time, but then
decided on a Sailor. The appearance of your pen shows me that there is high attention to
detail. However, I still wonder whether the make of the Intuition, mainly the resin (aka plastic)
body, would hold up as well as yours, in metal. This holds me back.

#13 ericthered2004

ericthered2004

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:14

Great review and a lovely pen, but sadly over my $100 limit. Congrats, though, on your new acquisition.

regards
eric
The flowers celebrated their sweetness
With just our noses
(ericthered junior)

#14 htdearden

htdearden

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2011 - 17:48

One nice feature of GvFC is the cap clip which his hinged and will slip into a pocket WITHOUT any need to lift the clip with a thumbnail. Perfect for those that keep pens in a jacket pocket during the working day...

#15 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:44

Another nice feature: a nylon sleeve into which the cap goes to post. No wear. Thanks

#16 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 18:58

very nice review and pics!
thanks
Cogito ergo sum

#17 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:35

Faber Castell is a recent entrant into the Indian Stationery market and are primarily popular here for their art and drawing materials. I was really intrigued to learn that this company has a tradition of making the finest in writing implements since 1761!..

Cheers!
Hari

On the design side, I feel it's again superlative, starting from cap to barrel end. Nice review again, Hari!

Is the pen a bit on the slim side ?

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

#18 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:05

Is the pen a bit on the slim side ?

Thanks! no, not a slim pen.

Sponsored Content

|