The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cartier Trinity Bordeaux Red Lacquer Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 19:37

Yep, went to German Ebay, and Cartier, Dunnhill and Dupont, are all being sold by folks who know what they are doing...dealers except for one.

It's not like MB where there are so very many and the bidding starts cheap...and one could always hope everyone who wants a good MB either just got one or ran out of money....where there is hope of getting over...nope...Sold by dealers are Cartier, Dunnhill and Dupont....no wonder I never think of them.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

#22 Lava Fountain

Lava Fountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Location:I Have Become Comfortably NUMB : | on The BLACK Drop ~!~

Posted 06 June 2010 - 20:23

Yep, went to German Ebay, and Cartier, Dunnhill and Dupont, are all being sold by folks who know what they are doing...dealers except for one.

It's not like MB where there are so very many and the bidding starts cheap...and one could always hope everyone who wants a good MB either just got one or ran out of money....where there is hope of getting over...nope...Sold by dealers are Cartier, Dunnhill and Dupont....no wonder I never think of them.

Afternoon BoBo,

Thx for your input/feedback on these Fountains.

I would suggest that if you can get any of the above Fountains A Dunhill, ST Dupont or the Cartier in a model that really appeals to you do so as was mentioned earlier they might not be your everyday pen to use but they just might you never know and also/esp make a Great addition to your collection if not just for the Beauty factor in all areas of their makeup. My preference so far is Dupont, Dunhill, & then Cartier.

I have one Dunhill and 3 Duponts and would like to get the Catier I mentioned one of these days when I can spare the ever dwindling supply of $ I never seem to have enough of. Till then I will use my many others & wait to pounce when the time & $ is right.

Good Luck, & let me know if you do drop the penny on one or more of them :gaah:

Where in Germany are you by the way?

Cheers.

#23 humblescribbler

humblescribbler

and Zen there were none

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2010 - 20:53

The Gent with the Cartier pen didn't say what he did about the pen that don't write like he'd like it too.
He has good pens, why didn't he send it back to get it made so it writes better, or take a bit of miro-mesh too it, or a brass shim to open up the nibs or something.

Is the pen poorly balanced to his hand?
Is it a nail?

Many get "good" pens that they send off to a nib master.

No mystery here! I purchased the Cartier (and many of my other pens) from dealers or Ebay before I even knew FPN existed, or nibmeisters, adjustments, micromesh, etc. Quite the sheltered existence! I figured you got what you bought. I've learned an incredible amount since discovering this forum. Posted Image

The Cartier has always been smooth, hasn't squeaked in the past year, and I merely use it as a broad nib rather than expecting a medium line. As previously indicated, the balance is great without posting, so I don't post it. And the 18k nib is not a nail, just less flex than all but my Aurora F nib and Sailor (I think old style 1911?) 21k nib. So it hasn't occured to me to send it anywhere. Posted Image

I just consider all this as part of this pen's personality. All my pens are different and I can readily pick them out of a blind lineup by writing with them. (That's actually fun, try it sometime!) Call me naive. But I'm happy with it. Maybe if it was real trouble, I'd act. Posted Image

Michael

#24 flashvictor

flashvictor

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 00:36

My wife gave me this pen for christmas several years ago. It is a beautiful pen. The out of box nib wasn't super smooth. I sent it to Greg Minuskin for a regrind. It writes great now but while I use it some it is not an everyday user. I also find it heavy. Since the lacquer attracted you, I much prefer Nakaya pens.

#25 Lava Fountain

Lava Fountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:40

My wife gave me this pen for christmas several years ago. It is a beautiful pen. The out of box nib wasn't super smooth. I sent it to Greg Minuskin for a regrind. It writes great now but while I use it some it is not an everyday user. I also find it heavy. Since the lacquer attracted you, I much prefer Nakaya pens.

FV,

Thx for your reply. I will keep it in mind about the nib if it gives me grief or cause for pause, as i will give it some extended use before I get to that point I think.

I will give the Nakay a look see, thx for the heads up on it.

Cheers.

#26 N_Architect

N_Architect

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:00

The Trinity fp in red lacquer is a very nice pen indeed, distinctive and elegant. I have the same in bp and it is lovely. Back then (two yrs ago) I was buying rollers, bps and very few fps. Now I have completely switched to fps, writing with them is a pleasure.

Currently they have released it in rose gold, was looking at one in one of the Cartier boutiques y'day (S'pore) but the red lacquer is so much better to me personally.

Cartier pens are hard to find after a few years, even the non-limited edition ones (e.g. Diabolo blue lacquer fp). I have come across models that I decided not to buy, only to not being able to find them anywhere in Asia or Europe few years later.

Edited by N_Architect, 17 June 2010 - 04:01.

#27 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,388 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:02

Ok......I got a Cheap Cheap solid made HuaHong that balances well, posted. It too has that solid metal section.
I post all but my Lamy Persona; also a metal section. If a pen is heavy I use fore finger up.

For that pen I use forefinger on top, and it then writes well. Pinching the metal was a slippery feel, fore finger up, takes away that problem.

The HuaHong was part of four pens including a Pelikan 140 OB, I got in a flea market trade for a Franklin Mint Robert E. Lee pocket knife as, ok I don't have a Chinese pen. The other two were DDR or East German pens.

It's just good enough not to go to the flea market.

Posting fore finger up also makes heavy pens feel lighter, your balance point is different.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 17 June 2010 - 10:04.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#28 Lava Fountain

Lava Fountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:33

:yikes: I DID IT !!!

The GORGEOUS Cartier Trinity Bordeaux Red Lacquer Pen is In The House :clap1:

I guess patience does pay off or @ least putting off till tomorrow what you can't or shouldn't do today, like being stupid enough to pay full price for something when you want it so badly but know better!

This Grogeous Fountain in question we have have been discussing was just on sale locally for a Great $ I couldn't refuse, so after all that teeth gnashing :gaah: I ended up getting it when i actually hadn't planned to @ least not for the price & as soon as I did.
It will arrive this coming week & I will buff it up & get it out into the Sun [Hopefully It WILL Be Sunny :bonk:]

As with many pens @ these Jewellery stores Gift shops etc as I have recently found when picking up a few of my other Great Bargains [Duponts] these usually come standard withy a Med nib, so no choice but I can live with that to get it/them for the prices I am able to.

Ok, I'm fine now. I am really hoping to get some consistant days with sunshine nice weather so I can try & hopefully can snap a few good pics.
I know I keep saying that but the with all that I have been doing the few available days/times I've had the weather has been so crapy I haven't even felt like attempting to try & caprture anything close to calling it an adequate photo :bonk:

So there it is, the Candy Apple Red Lacquer Fountain is My Precious :drool: :puddle:

Cheers

#29 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,388 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:12

Afternoon BoBo,

I would suggest that if you can get any of the above Fountains A Dunhill, ST Dupont or the Cartier in a model that really appeals to you do so as was mentioned earlier they might not be your everyday pen to use but they just might you never know and also/esp make a Great addition to your collection if not just for the Beauty factor in all areas of their makeup. My preference so far is Dupont, Dunhill, & then Cartier.

I have one Dunhill and 3 Duponts and would like to get the Catier I mentioned one of these days when I can spare the ever dwindling supply of $ I never seem to have enough of. Till then I will use my many others & wait to pounce when the time & $ is right.

Cheers.

Yesterday I went to the Flea Market in Heidleberg....The man wanted € 35, and took my €28, for a S.T. Dupont Chinese Lacquer Maroon, black brush and gold dust 18 K Dupont. :cloud9:
I was sure it was a very nice looking Fake or I'd bought the lighter (€20) too.

I saw S.T. Duponts going for € 300-500 on German Ebay and more in other pen sale coms.

That Hauhong just got put into the flea market cup. I have a better maroon pen. :roflmho:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 20 June 2010 - 07:17.

#30 Lava Fountain

Lava Fountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:18

Afternoon BoBo,

Cheers.

Yesterday I went to the Flea Market....The man wanted € 35, and took my €28, for a S.T. Dupont Chinese Lacquer Maroon, black brush and gold dust 18 K Dupont.
I was sure it was a very nice looking Fake or I'd bought the lighter (€20) too.

I saw S.T. Duponts going for € 300-500 on German Ebay and more in other pen sale coms.

Hey BoBo,

Sounds great hope you got exactly what you wanted/expected & you can share it with us.

Cheers.

#31 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,388 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:37

As soon as I clean off my desk, I'll make some pictures. First I have to go to a French food market they are having twenty miles away from Heidelberg.

I'm too lazy to drive a couple of hours to go to France.
Once a year in Heidelberg, they have Italian markets too. How ever there is a pure Italian store in town.

Some times we go to a (Turkish) French Pastry baker, who learned in France. It is good I have to go into town to visit her shop. The French make wonderful pastries. Have great meats, and so on.

One hour away is the Worlds Champion chocolate maker in a small town. Luckily, he can't raise his prices, because he has to keep his regular customers. He's got some of the weirdest jams and preserves too; all great.

We tend to drive for great food.

#32 Lava Fountain

Lava Fountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 20:31

As soon as I clean off my desk, I'll make some pictures. First I have to go to a French food market they are having twenty miles away from Heidelberg.

I'm too lazy to drive a couple of hours to go to France.
Once a year in Heidelberg, they have Italian markets too. How ever there is a pure Italian store in town.

Some times we go to a (Turkish) French Pastry baker, who learned in France. It is good I have to go into town to visit her shop. The French make wonderful pastries. Have great meats, and so on.

One hour away is the Worlds Champion chocolate maker in a small town. Luckily, he can't raise his prices, because he has to keep his regular customers. He's got some of the weirdest jams and preserves too; all great.

We tend to drive for great food.

Hey BoBo,

I don't know what the hell this has to do with the Cartier Tinity Red Lac :yikes: :gaah: :ltcapd: but Man you are making me hungry :drool: :puddle: , great shopping list, I envy you & your wonderful choice of real food. :notworthy1:

I imagine you can also see/find many great choices & chances @ some wonderful Fountains as well :)
Congrats on your many wonderful options in life over there :clap1:

Looking forward to your photos.

Cheers

#33 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,388 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 21:04

There just happened to be a flea market there...and that guy who still has that Dupont lighter was not there :crybaby: .....Rats.

Not a fountain pen to be seen, no even a you can't pay me to take it.

I had again great luck and did get two more fine marble Ink wells. :drool: My red, gold and black Dupont is now looking sharp laying on the pen holder of a black/brown striped ink well..

The food was the excuse why I could not get pictures of my Dirt Cheap ($35) Dupont posted.

The flea market being "far away", I didn't know about it until we got there.
We did find a cherry pitter, so I now have home made sweet cherry preserves.
You don't want to know how labor intensive it is to pit cherries that some one gives you with a knife. Being Sunday in Germany the stores are closed.

I have orders to eat up the home made jams from last year. I've fallen behind the eating curve...it's that or go out and buy more preserve jars.

So I have to get up every morning and walk five minutes to the bakery and get a brochen ( hard crusted breakfast bun). I need the exercise.

I always stumble over the edge of the box, :yikes: but if one follows my twisted thread of semi-logic to the end; there is always a U turn at the end after taking the scenic route. :blink:

See there is a pen here somewhere. A Ripe cherry Chinese black brushed and gold speckled Dupont.
Some one had mentioned the Cartier, Dunhill and Dupont...and there I'd thought I'd never own any one of them.
Pheasant , Venison, Kangaroo sausage, too...old cheese, good red wine, good bread...and a soccer game too.
So the pictures were delayed.
Photo's are in another thread, about Cheap Flea Market Duponts.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 20 June 2010 - 21:23.

#34 Lava Fountain

Lava Fountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:30

:yikes:

Gorgeous, IT Arrived This AM & I picked it up this Aft!!! :notworthy1:

WOW :clap1:

& My New MB Marlene Dietrich Fountain, equally Lovely & Elegant !!! :notworthy1: :clap1:

#35 viclip

viclip

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2010 - 18:14

I've never handled a Cartier, but I wouldn't mind a Pasha with the printed circuit pattern.

Guess I could've peered at 'em in Charals today - I think they carry Cartier.

I picked up a Cartier Pasha "Printed Circuit" fountain pen with the medium nib a few months ago from FPH while on sale in their Super Special section. I didn't get around to inking it till this past week. It's a stunner, drawing many compliments from my colleagues at the office.

It's the smoothest writer that I've ever had the pleasure of using. Efficient too, by which I mean that it puts enough ink to paper to make a great line without over-doing it; despite going through about 50 signatures on Thursday & Friday, the converter is still a good two-thirds full (my sig is enormous, thus I'm pleasantly surprised).

This is a substantial pen. It's plated in palladium, but obviously the body is solid metal, I presume brass. It is similar in heft to writing with a solid sterling Conway Stewart. I've thus not been posting the Cartier (nor do I post my CS's).

I don't know whether Cartier makes &/or tunes their own nibs/feeds. I am in any event quite happy with the excellence of the writing experience, having been a bit apprehensive due to the old (& perhaps tired) saw against buying pens from a jeweller. This FP deserves to be surrounded by its matching mates in ballpoint & in rollerball.

#36 bobslider

bobslider

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 23:33

Evening All,

Curious in this Fountain & wonder if any of you own or used this Gorgeous Cartier Fountain? ... as I'm thinking of getting it just for the look & finish. :wub: Love the Ruby Red, Sweet :rolleyes:

http://www.pensinasi...in_pen_310.html

This Ruby Red Lacquer finish on it is Stunning, Gorgeous, quality of Lacquer finish reminds me of this ST Dupont I have.
http://www.pensinasi...n_pen_4455.html

Thx for any input :)

Cheers :bunny01:

Hi, I came across this while looking up a pen I found in my grandfather's things - it had been sitting at the bottom of a drawer for a year or so, and I was rather stunned to find out it was worth so much. I'm an illustrator, so I've tried using it as both a writing implement and a inking tool. It feels quite solid and heavy in the hand, which I like. It's most definitely built to last. I also like the converter that allows the use different colors of ink. The stroke seems extremely broad to me, matching and exceeding my .9 width pens. Personally as an artist I would prefer more of a variation of line width, and I find it difficult to write in such a thick line - I get the feeling that this is more for signing documents than any kind of extended writing sessions. Personally I would never purchase an item like this. I'm thinking of selling this shiny pen off and buying a namiki falcon - I've heard great things about that pen.

Sponsored Content

|