Very Heretical Question About Lamy Safari

OMASmaniac

I fond of my Nexx too, even though it isn't my best writer. Like TangleCrafts, it's the pen I toss into a bag to take somewhere. It's not fussy, I can ignore it for weeks and it will start up just fine. I will probably get another one or two, they're handy for filling with inks that I only use occasionally.

looking for a pen with maki-e dancing wombats

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OMASmaniac

• Silvermink

• LuckyDog10

• limesally

I have a couple of Salamis that I use with 1.1i and 1.5i nibs, and great fun they are. There is a certain brash up-your-nose aura to them, particularly the mellow yellow one, that says I am that I am and to hell with your bling. In meetings, too, it passes the time to compose scurrilous couplets in 1.5i calligraphy.

That said, if anyone would care to swap their MB Le Grand for my brash yellow aura, please PM me. :)

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

safari's look good. some of their nibs are great. i love the balance, even posted. very durable plastic, not cheap at all. very affordable...

... but when it comes to the section grip... i just drop it. man, i just can't pass that one. :angry:

The Safari has style it is just a germanic style rather than an Italian style. It is Bauhaus rather than Art Nouveau.

:thumbup:

Form follows function. That's why I like the Bauhaus in general.

Anyway, the Lamy Safari/Vista/Al Star is my knock around pen that goes into my bag or pants pockets without a second thought. Sturdy and easy to replace if necessary. I love the 1.1 nibs that make this BP-substitute a nicer writer.

And I like to use a Lamy (= schoolpen in everybodys perception) if I don't want my writing instrument to attract attention - that is my usual vintage Pelikan 400 would look out of place or pretentious.

Yes, the Parker 51 is a low profile pen too and for sure the nicer writer. But I hate the idea of loosing or damaging a P51! That's why the Lamy goes into my pants pockets ;)

I'd match my HuaHong vs any fountain pen in the world for being solid.

I didn't go out to get it, but it was there as I was making a WA swap of a Pelikan 50's Pel-140, a couple of German DDR pens, and some Huahongs....this one was burgundy lacquer.for a Franklin Mint Robert E. Lee mint Pocket knife.

It's not a starter pen though; in pure noobies, wouldn't know brown paper bags.

It needed a whole lot of brown paper bag. I still haven't gotten any micro-mesh.

But after that, it write ok, as good as an Esterbrook, it it too has a rolled steel tip, it balance's well; for me posted better than a Townsend. As long as it don't get too cold...well no a days no one writes when it's that cold as is.

It is the single pen to take around the world, with your Buck Model 124 "General".

A Real shove it in your pocket, and follow Indy Jones, or fall down mountains.

The minus point is it's strength, the section is steel, so you got to learn to write fore finger up.......but it's indestructible.

No, I do not have any Safaris, A couple of Artus, and a Black Titanium Persona....which is the second take it around the world pen.....same thing, metal section; indestructible. But it's not quite a school or pocket mountain bike pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In advance...sorry if I hurt feelings here...but...

About 2 weeks ago when I was pen hunting I saw the Lamy Safari for the nth time to decide whether I should purchase it. There was a white,grey red etc. Examined them from every angle - tried to get excited.

One thing about me is that the prospect of buying a FP greatly excites me...tried as much as I could - but I just couldn't get my self to buy the LS...it just couldn't get me going...heart racing...guess its Mojo wasn't working on me...

I didn't even get the guy to ink it for a quick trial.

And this was after having examined the LS many,many times before - each time hoping to buy it !

Not sure why but I think because I feel it simply lacks a personality...a definite character...

I'd better run before the shotguns are trained on me !

Rgds,

HG

In advance...sorry if I hurt feelings here...but...

About 2 weeks ago when I was pen hunting I saw the Lamy Safari for the nth time to decide whether I should purchase it. There was a white,grey red etc. Examined them from every angle - tried to get excited.

One thing about me is that the prospect of buying a FP greatly excites me...tried as much as I could - but I just couldn't get my self to buy the LS...it just couldn't get me going...heart racing...guess its Mojo wasn't working on me...

I didn't even get the guy to ink it for a quick trial.

And this was after having examined the LS many,many times before - each time hoping to buy it !

Not sure why but I think because I feel it simply lacks a personality...a definite character...

I'd better run before the shotguns are trained on me !

I see where you're going with this. The beauty of this pen is that it's nothing special -- it just works. It's not good, but it's not bad either.

My friend has a Parker that was cheaper, except I highly doubt that it's authentic.

I bought my other friend a LS because he was impressed with mine. He really likes it.

Both of them are total novices. The guy with the Parker gets more problems with his pen than the guy with the Safari, including a leaky piston filler.

My mom got mad because she spent $30 for a pen without a gold nib, which supposedly could be found in China for less than 100 yen there.

I bought mine for Jetpens -- and also I got a M nib for it because F nibs were too fine. They give a consistent flow assuming that I don't tilt it wonky.

To make a long story short,

If you want a reliable, modular pen, then you can't go wrong with the Safari. The beauty of it is not having anything special. It's the perfect pen to take aroudn without having it stolen -- people don't think that it's worth squat.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

It is a robust, well made pen and can take abuse. i have just two. the first one in Blue was a gift, the second in Red I bought!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Wow, that's what I call a successful thread! :)

Thank you everybody for your answers, lots of interesting experiences out there!

Just one thing: I wouldn't call a Safari a "Bauhaus" pen. Other Lamys are much more "bauhaus"... the safari is to some extent not very comfortable: the grip section is annoying, and when you post it, the cap becomes cumbersome. As far as my experience is concerned, the clip is olso anti-functional: it bends the paper because of its strange form... mellow.gif

However, I agree it's a good cheapie, it simply doesn't create me any enthusiasm.

I've bought a Lamy Nexx yesterday, and it's much better than the safari! :) (and that's a "Bauhaus" pen, with a more comfortable grip section and a strange but functional clip ! Unfortunately, there aren't many colours of that pen!

I'd match my HuaHong vs any fountain pen in the world for being solid, and cheap. :thumbup:

I didn't go out to get it, but it was there as I was making a WA swap of a Pelikan 50's Pel-140, a couple of German DDR pens, and a Huahongs....this one was burgundy lacquer.for a Franklin Mint Robert E. Lee mint Pocket knife.

It's not a starter pen though; in pure noobies, wouldn't know brown paper bags.

It needed a whole lot of brown paper bag. I still haven't gotten any micro-mesh.

But after that, it write ok, as good as an Esterbrook, it it too has a rolled steel tip, it balance's well; for me posted better than a Townsend. As long as it don't get too cold...well no a days no one writes when it's that cold as is.

It is the single pen to take around the world, with your Buck Model 124 "General".

A Real shove it in your pocket, and follow Indy Jones, or fall down mountains.

The minus point is it's strength, the section is steel, so you got to learn to write fore finger up.......but it's indestructible.

No, I do not have any Safaris, A couple of Artus, and a Black Titanium Persona....which is the second take it around the world pen.....same thing, metal section; indestructible. But it's not quite a school or pocket mountain bike pen. Unless you have a Porsche mountain bike. :P

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Just one thing: I wouldn't call a Safari a "Bauhaus" pen. Other Lamys are much more "bauhaus"... the safari is to some extent not very comfortable: the grip section is annoying, and when you post it, the cap becomes cumbersome. As far as my experience is concerned, the clip is olso anti-functional: it bends the paper because of its strange form...

Lamy apparently would call the Safari a "Bauhaus" design. Here's what they say about themselves here:

Our products are self-contained and succinct. By tradition they embody the Bauhaus principle of functional design: ‘form follows function’. This approach makes Lamy products unmistakable style icons and the name Lamy a quintessential brand.

Doug

Wow, that's what I call a successful thread! :)

Thank you everybody for your answers, lots of interesting experiences out there!

Just one thing: I wouldn't call a Safari a "Bauhaus" pen. Other Lamys are much more "bauhaus"... the safari is to some extent not very comfortable: the grip section is annoying, and when you post it, the cap becomes cumbersome. As far as my experience is concerned, the clip is olso anti-functional: it bends the paper because of its strange form... mellow.gif

However, I agree it's a good cheapie, it simply doesn't create me any enthusiasm.

I've bought a Lamy Nexx yesterday, and it's much better than the safari! :) (and that's a "Bauhaus" pen, with a more comfortable grip section and a strange but functional clip ! Unfortunately, there aren't many colours of that pen!

I like the grip section because there is no fiddling. I don't think about maybe trying it at a different angle or if I hold it off. Holding is a wholly personal thing, which is why people should try a pen before buying, like shoes, if it not comfortable it is not for you. As for the clip messing up paper...I need a clip to keep it in my clothes not to hold on to paper and I am pretty sure that is what they had in mind. I totally agree about the posting issue, so I just don't post but I personally have only found one pen that is good posted.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

I'm not fond of the bright colours of the Safaris, but I've got 2 charcoal matte black Safaris and think they look great. They don't seem clunky to me at all.

I've also got a raspberry Al-star, which is about as bright as I'd like to go. The smokey grey, transparent section of the Al-star mitigates the colour somewhat, and makes it look more understated.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

The Safari/Vista/AlStar (I consider them all "Safari") have a minimalist, clean, industrial style. That's not a lack of style that *is* their style. Whether you like it or not is a different question.

I find the nibs *do* have a character. Yes they're rigid, but the F and EF nibs I have are not bland round balls (as I've encountered on some higher end pens) but rather seem to have enough shape to give the directional feedback I like from my fountain pen nibs.

I would be perfectly happy to pick up a low-end Aurora if I could find one!

But that's another thing about the Safari, it's easy to find - not just in brick and mortar stores, but in any of the on-line stores that I frequent (and I only frequent the ones with reasonable shipping to Canada). It's easy to throw in the cart with other items.

Which stores do you find have the best shipping to Canada (Southern ONT, if you want to be specific)? I've bought from Fountain Pen Hospital, and shipping was <$25. Is that usually under or over?

And I'll add about the Safari, it stands out from other people's collections. Enthusiasts are likely to have one handy, non-enthusiast will see that and think "Hey, that looks neat!" and look for it, easily connecting the style with name. More so than other great beginner pens that look like black sticks.

Which stores do you find have the best shipping to Canada (Southern ONT, if you want to be specific)? I've bought from Fountain Pen Hospital, and shipping was <$25. Is that usually under or over?

Sent you a PM.

I got my Al-Star (as a gift actually) as a cheap way to see if I like writing with an EF nib all day at work. Thought it better than spending the $$$ for a nicer pen and not really liking the nib size.

Apostasy: I like the plastic of the Safari better than the plastic in the plastic Namiki Falcon. The Safari's plastic has a much warmer feel and didn't feel as cheap (to me). I dig the groovy colors in the Safari, too. The colors available from many of the competition at that price point are dreary. There's usually a Safari inked round these parts. Oh, and I actually like the Safari grip :o

Edited by Trebster

I can't explain it -- I do not have one, nor I have I ever tried one. I don't like the look of them (yes, I know this shallow)

I don't think it's shallow at all. Fountain pens are an aesthetic experience, too, so you may as well write with something you like the look of.

Thanks, Silvermink!

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Although this topic has been beaten to death (price, durability, blah blah), I would like to point out that their repair policy is pretty helpful. Mine pretty much sucked out of the box (!) so I sent it in and a little over a week later it came back perfect. I know it's shameful to sell a broken product, but at least they fixed it quick and only for the cost of shipping. I usually only expect that with more expensive items.

But, it really is just a knock-around pen for me. My handwriting is noticeably worse with a Safari, but it's probably just the grip.

Edited by TSWard