The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Nexx M (anthracite).

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gaffer

Gaffer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 20:11

OK, so third time lucky. As I mentioned in my Safari post, I really didn't get on with the Lamy M nib but seeing as it has so many thumbs up from people, I thought I'd give them another go, but that this time I'd try my preferred option of Fine.

This pen was bought online (Pen Fountain) so it turned out to be the same price as the Safari despite having a rrp of £18-ish.

Appearance & Design - 6/10

Posted Image
First inspection of the packaging was a bit disappointing. Not only was it NOT delivered in a box - not even a blister pack - but the box it came with was squashed flat (maybe to help with packaging?). As a result, don't expect to be able to give this as a gift to anyone. However, the "naked" components were wrapped in bubble-wrap very well and nicely protected. I went for the anthracite rather than the orange one.

Posted Image
The pen itself looks very nice. Clean lines and appears slightly "chunkier" than the Safari. It has a less "industrial" look to me, and it will appeal to those of you who like clean lines and unfussy pens :thumbup:.
You can see the unusual triangular x-section of the barrel in the picture below.

Construction & Quality - 8/10

Posted Image
Fit and finish is again good. The metal (as opposed to the plastic of the Safari) is nice and it's fat enough combined with the weight to give it a "fuller" feeling in the hand. Just like the Safari "The lid closes with a positive click and everything screws together well with a decent finish".
'Robust' is a word I would use to describe it.
The grip is similar to the Safari, but in this case, the grip section is rubberised resulting in an even better grip than you would think. Like the Safari, it allows for one 'style' of grip, but the feel is a BIG step up from plain plastic and makes it feel very nice to write with.

Size & Weight - 5/10

Posted Image
This pen is heavier than the Safari -- 13g unposted (Safari was 10) and 21g posted (Safari was 17). However, it's still a bit too light for me for writing, but I don't too much because it's light enough to carry around at work without problems (I already have enough things dangling around my neck without adding heavy pens to it).
Size wise it's 13.7cm with cap on, 15.8cm posted and 12.8cm unposted, making it similar to the Safari. However, it has an unusual lid design that "pokes out" beyond the cap end and I've included this in the size.

Nib & Performance - 5/10

Posted Image
Another area where the packaging left a lot to be desired imo. The spare nib was simply taped to a bit of card. Thankfully, they'd wrapped it in bubble-wrap too.
This nib is a complete revelation as c.f. the Medium Lamy I had before. It's sooooooo much nicer to write. Yes, OK, still noticeably scratchy and nowhere near as smooth as my E-Motion, but it gives a consistent line thickness and doesn't skip :D.

Posted Image
Like the M, the nib creep is pretty evident, but it hasn't caused me any issues so far. The nib is fairly inflexible and overall OK to write with (so gets a plumb average score).

Filling System & Maintenance - 8/10

Posted Image
I went for the Z24 convertor as I didn't want to be filling up cartridges with syringes. As you can see from the photo, it's a snug fit, made 'snugger' by the 2 small nipples on the side that clip into the plastic surround.
The Z24 takes 0.8mls of ink, which should be plenty for a few days at work.

Cost & Value - 9/10

Lamy Nexx M + Spare F Z50 Nib + Z24 convertor = £15 + £4 + £3 = £22

Considering I have bought a pen plus a spare nib plus convertor for about $32, I'm quite happy with the cost. MOST importantly if when I drop it, a new nib only costs $6 or so so I won't have to keep buying new pens all the time ;).
Great VFM and I hope it will last me a long time.

Overall Conclusion - 7/10

I can only repeat what I said for my initial Safari review "A great little pen for very little outlay. I bought it for work and it's so far proved sturdy enough. It's also cheap and popular enough that if I do drop it, replacements will be easy to come by. I recommend it."
:)

Edited by Gaffer, 02 June 2010 - 20:15.

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2010 - 15:02

will the safari cap fit this? the section is the same it looks like...

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 15:07

Different section, I believe. Good review! I like the look of these except for the cap design. A good starter Lamy for those who just can't stomach the look of the Safari-Vista-Al Star series.
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

#4 Gaffer

Gaffer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 16:54

Thanx :)
^^Yep, the barrell and cap are different sizes to the Safari/Al-Star so it won't fit on that.

I must also admit that I think the "wire" cap grip on the Safari looks and feels better to me, but this one is still good enough. I spend a lot of time running around and it never once fell out of my scrubs :thumbup:.
I think in terms of appearance, I prefer the Safari (just ;)) but also prefer the metal of the Nexx.
Ideally, an Al-Star would be right up my street, but I deliberately wanted to spend under £20 for the pen alone (not inc. the convertor and nib) so it just out of my price range for a "work" pen.

Edited by Gaffer, 04 June 2010 - 16:56.

Sponsored Content

|