The First New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Doug C

In PM, Doug promised me a Nakaya. I hope he wasn't kidding.

He was kidding. Actually, he said "in spirit," which is a kind of kidding. But it's a nice thought. Speaking of which, I just received a notice that my Nakaya Negoro has shipped! *Faints*

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• Doug C

• Deirdre

• ethernautrix

NSFW = not safe for work.

Yay on ethernautrix's Nakaya shipping!

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

In PM, Doug promised me a Nakaya. I hope he wasn't kidding.

He was kidding. Actually, he said "in spirit," which is a kind of kidding. But it's a nice thought. Speaking of which, I just received a notice that my Nakaya Negoro has shipped! *Faints*

Oh my!! THat's a beautiful pen you're about to receive!!! Hopefully you'll post pictures :)

I have to apologize for former comments.

Over the years, I have been acclimated to the SF pen club as being the end all and be all of clubs (probably rightly so, if for no other reason than they have Kevin Cheng, the foremost distributor of Danitrio pens, and someone we all love and respect).

My intent was to poke a little fun at the other clubs around the country, but apparently it fell flat; to the extent that it might have insulted two of the hallmarks of the FPN community: Deirdre and Ethernautrix.

My expectation was that they might make a few little jokes about the size of our club, but I might have been wrong.

They are great people, receptive to my mistake, but still I feel compelled to apologise to them lest others think they took this seriously.

The NM club is growing by leaps and bounds, and I know that all of the others in the FPN community are excited to see this happen.

We will continue to grow, hopefully with the full support of the FPN community.

Doug.

the Danitrio Fellowship

The NM club is growing by leaps and bounds, and I know that all of the others in the FPN community are excited to see this happen.

Glad to hear that, and no worries. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

My expectation was that they might make a few little jokes about the size of our club, but I might have been wrong.

It's not the size of your club, but how you use it!

(only slightly) Seriously... this has been the most welcoming group of people I've met in a long time... if your group continues to do that as well, you'll succeed, regardless of numbers! Remember that a core need of people is to feel like they belong to a community/affinity group... you're already doing that! At the risk of sounding very California... let it grow organically as it will...

"Do not wish for everything to be done according to your determination, but wish that it is how it should be, and in this way, you will attain peace with everyone. And believe that everything that happens to us, even the most insignificant, occurs through Providence. Then you will be able to endure everything that comes upon you without any agitation."

- Dorotheus of Gaza

Wow... hurt myself on that one...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Doug.

Doug,

You have Ralph "Parker 51" Prather. For a vintage 51 hack like me that sounds like enough for a club.

It is hard to top the pen sisters though.

Todd (still working on the NSFW stuff. Not Safe for Work but why?)

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

It's never the size of your club; it's all about showing up.

Pen Posse has been as small as one person showing up (yes, it still counts) and as large as... I don't know, Roger's Penopoly party or the LA Pen Show. It's always changing, and it's always fun. I'm sure that it's the same across the board, no matter where Pen People show up to share this hobby: New Mexico, Florida, Minneapolis, Southern California (where there's an actual pen club that's been meeting for years in addition to the LA Legion that started up a year or so ago), and other places.

As for Pen Posse, if it wasn't fun, you know, we wouldn't do it.

Also, the more fun we have, the more Pen Posses we call. That's pretty much Pen Posse explained.

etherX in To Miasto

Thanks to Mike S, who started the club, we have gone from 4 in the first meeting to I believe something like 13 members by the second meeting (not all were present), with more interested parties.

As long as people don't get tired of driving to Santa Fe or Albuquerque, I think it will continue to flourish.

And I agree about the comments regarding Ralph's pens. Pictures truly don't do them justice.

the Danitrio Fellowship

the club is pretty awesome, and the members are just great, great people. not only does ralph make wonderful pens, but he's super nice!

can't wait to see everyone at the September meeting!

on a different note, EMM (another NM member) and I visited about 10 antique stores last week looking for fountain pens by UNM (or that general area). Awful prices on the pens!!

E.g., "Paker "45" Mint Condition," which, of course, had a broken nib and small crack in the barrel....going for around $75...

sorry for the tangent, but the antique shopping was awful. ok i'm fine now :)

Well let me take the horns by the bull here and say that the September meeting was GREAT! Kudos to Mike for making it happen!

We had, I think 10 members come... Mike began by talking about a variety of topics and then gave us all copies of Pen Magazines that had been donated...

We talked about how to recruit more members. One person said there was someone in Phoenix that might make the trip. Of course if YOU lived

in 108 degree weather you too might like to come to cooool santa fe, the site of the September meeting...

I might point out that SF and LA don't mean the same thing to you costal people as they do to us. That's Santa Fe and Los Alamos...

Anyway we all then played show and tell and got out all our pens and papers and inks... . Ralph brought a gorgeous overlay he'd recently acquired.

I'm not good with names but another person had the Pelikan San Francisco... I'd only seen them on line, not in person... Sun and Fog... it was gorgeous.

One person showed us a TSWBI pen and I was so enthralled I raced right home and ordered one and now it's my daily user! Then out came

Seamus's collection of fantastic pencils! We all poured over those... then out came pocket knives, money clips.... Lots of fun...

There was a nice variety (well ok, all guys, unfortunately) from relative newbies to old hands...young and old, expensive pens to inexpensive pens... people who ordered cherry pie to those who ordered bananna cream pie. It takes all kinds, I tell ya.

So darn it all, I 'm expecting company (when am I NOT expecting company?) so will miss the next meeting right here in Santa Fe, I think the 18th of September, time and site TBD and TBA.

And finally, in addition to the TWSBI pen I had to have, after riding to and from albuquerque with Ralph and seeing one of his custom 51's up close... Well I took the Prather Plunge and am a Proud Posessor of a Prather Pen (alliteration always!) . I'd like to show it to you but I am SOOO sorry but it doesn't leave the house. You can send it a postcard if you like...

cheers

skyppere

I'm thinking SF Pen Posse should make a road trip (pilgrimage) to Santa Fe sometime... I've been there... very nice place to just "be"...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I'm thinking SF Pen Posse should make a road trip (pilgrimage) to Santa Fe sometime... I've been there... very nice place to just "be"...

I was just thinking about my first glimpse of Albuquerque and Santa Fe earlier this year... I didn't spend nearly enough time there.

Ricky goes to Los Alamos sometimes.

Not making any plans or anything, but I like the idea.

etherX in To Miasto

Just remember Lisa. I live here.......

the Danitrio Fellowship

Well let me take the horns by the bull here and say that the September meeting was GREAT! Kudos to Mike for making it happen!

We had, I think 10 members come... Mike began by talking about a variety of topics and then gave us all copies of Pen Magazines that had been donated...

We talked about how to recruit more members. One person said there was someone in Phoenix that might make the trip. Of course if YOU lived

in 108 degree weather you too might like to come to cooool santa fe, the site of the September meeting...

I might point out that SF and LA don't mean the same thing to you costal people as they do to us. That's Santa Fe and Los Alamos...

Anyway we all then played show and tell and got out all our pens and papers and inks... . Ralph brought a gorgeous overlay he'd recently acquired.

I'm not good with names but another person had the Pelikan San Francisco... I'd only seen them on line, not in person... Sun and Fog... it was gorgeous.

One person showed us a TSWBI pen and I was so enthralled I raced right home and ordered one and now it's my daily user! Then out came

Seamus's collection of fantastic pencils! We all poured over those... then out came pocket knives, money clips.... Lots of fun...

There was a nice variety (well ok, all guys, unfortunately) from relative newbies to old hands...young and old, expensive pens to inexpensive pens... people who ordered cherry pie to those who ordered bananna cream pie. It takes all kinds, I tell ya.

So darn it all, I 'm expecting company (when am I NOT expecting company?) so will miss the next meeting right here in Santa Fe, I think the 18th of September, time and site TBD and TBA.

And finally, in addition to the TWSBI pen I had to have, after riding to and from albuquerque with Ralph and seeing one of his custom 51's up close... Well I took the Prather Plunge and am a Proud Posessor of a Prather Pen (alliteration always!) . I'd like to show it to you but I am SOOO sorry but it doesn't leave the house. You can send it a postcard if you like...

cheers

skyppere

Skyppere,

I'm the one that brought the TWSBI, and it turns out that at least one other member (Mike S) ordered one as well. They have a vacuum filler coming out, and if you haven't tried their piston filler (for $39 plus shipping) it is a Pelikan 200 killer.

Also, I saw your Prather on another site, and I am envious. I was planning a moratorium for a while, but I may have to rethink that..

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Just remember Lisa. I live here.......

I'm not afraid of you, Doug C.!

Anyway, you have that imaginary Nakaya for me. I'm pretending to map out a fake road trip to get it.

etherX in To Miasto

cheers

skyppere

Skyppere,

I'm the one that brought the TWSBI, and it turns out that at least one other member (Mike S) ordered one as well. They have a vacuum filler coming out, and if you haven't tried their piston filler (for $39 plus shipping) it is a Pelikan 200 killer.

Also, I saw your Prather on another site, and I am envious. I was planning a moratorium for a while, but I may have to rethink that..

===================

I waited all of 2 minutes after I got home to order the TWSBI Piston Filler and it is in my pocket as we speak. I'll be in line for the vacuum filler as well.

Save your nickles for your PPPP (Practically Perfect Prather Pen) and you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment!

skyppere

I was just thinking about my first glimpse of Albuquerque and Santa Fe earlier this year... I didn't spend nearly enough time there.

Ricky goes to Los Alamos sometimes.

Not making any plans or anything, but I like the idea.

=================

SF+SF! Sounds like a plan!

skyppere