The First New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

Doug C

For those of you that still refuse to believe that New Mexico is actually in the USA, here is photographic proof: A Village Inn, holding precious cargo; all of the members of the New Mexico Pen Collector's club (....er, all four of us).

Actually Mike Smukula had the idea to start up a chapter here, and although this was the first one and there are quite a few pen enthusiasts in the state so it will doubless grow, there are logistical issues with getting everyone together (not sure but I seem to remember that NM is the fifth largest state in terms of land mass). For some, it might be a little too far to travel for a little conversation and oogling.

No matter. It was decided that while this meeting was held in Albuquerque, at least some of the the meetings will be in Santa Fe.

Mike did a bang up job getting the first event going, with one exception; he forgot to bring any pens (actually he did bring a Sheaffer Selangor, as did I, but he brought it just to write with-imagine that). Mike did promise to not leave out that crucial element at the next meeting.

Jim Hughes brought an assortment of vintage (Jim is my enabler and has me looking for a Sheaffer Tuckie now) as well as some of his modern pens (the smallest Joe Cali I have seen, an Edison, and so on).

I also brought an assortment of mostly modern, with some vintage thrown in.

Ralph Prather brought a selection of his custom made Parker 51's, which just knocked me out. I have to confess that I was not aware of his reputation, but these are bar none, the most beautiful Parkers I have ever seen. I immediately got on his website after the meeting and started purusing the selection, trying to decide what will undoubtedly be my next pen. The photos on his site really dont do justice to the pens.

His attention to detail is astounding. Most of the pens were Vacumatics, and at least in some of the pens, the mechanics are custom made (i.e. the plungers are machined metal).

The finishes on the bodies ranged from acrylic to ebonite to titanium. There are custom touches throughout the range, from specially made double jewels, to opals placed as cabochons on the end of the plungers. Just amazing work.

It is not quantity but quality that counts (or I've been told; its both for me), so even though it was a small group, we had a great time, and expect the next one to be a much larger event ......5, 6, Who knows????????????

First photo L to R:

Jim Hughes, Mike Smukula

Second photo:

Ralph Prather, Doug C

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/PenClubMay20104.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/PenClubMay20101.jpg

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• Doug C

• Deirdre

• ethernautrix

When are you going to have another meeting im from El Paso and I am only 5 hours away from ABQ.

"Ride, shoot straight, speak the truth"

When are you going to have another meeting im from El Paso and I am only 5 hours away from ABQ.

I'll defer to Mike since he started this, but we basically agreed to start with once every two months.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Ok keep me posted my email is lvasquez150@hotmail.com let me know the next date so i can plan my mountain bike trip up in Taos around the meeting.

"Ride, shoot straight, speak the truth"

Hi, I'm Mike...I'll e-mail you some info... but unless the members disagree it looks like the next meeting may be on July 24th, @ 2:00 in Albuquerque

NO nasty comments from Deirdre, Ethernauthrix, ????

Nothing???? at all???

I'm disappointed.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NO nasty comments from Deirdre, Ethernauthrix, ????

Nothing???? at all???

I'm disappointed.

Someone just pointed this thread out to me, and I'm flabbergasted. Do I have a reputation for leaving nasty comments, Doug?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

lawl

This isn't 4chan.

Yeah, WTH?

Thanks for the heads up :)

Edited by jniforat

lawl

This isn't 4chan.

I collect abbreviations (ICA)

I have not seen these.

lawl = ?

4chan = ?

TX

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

lawl

This isn't 4chan.

lul, I'm utterly surprised that one of you guys would know 4chan XD

lmao however is just internet slang, not restricted to any one site.

New Mexico Pen Collector's Club / InkDrop Member since 8/23/2010

lawl

This isn't 4chan.

I collect abbreviations (ICA)

I have not seen these.

lawl = ?

4chan = ?

TX

lawl is used by 4chan (which is a site, you don't want to go there unless you're REALLY ready for NSFW) folks as amusement when someone emotionally reacts to something. In other words, jniforat was amused that I took offense to what Doug C posted. Doug C clarified in PM that he intended what he said in jest.

And yes, I'm a member of a group that sprung out of 4chan, but I'll leave it to your imagination which and why. :)

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

oh i just random use "lawl" it means Laughing A Whole Lot, it's exactly the same as "lol" laugh out loud.

i never knew of ICA.

(actually, i got "lawl" from EMM...ha)

Edited by jniforat

oh yeah i was just joking around also, no harm done. or, at least, i thought everyone was just joking around? :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by jniforat