Omas Amerigo Vespucci

enricof

I recently got a gorgeous A.V.

Unfortunately, I noticed the cap was a bit too tight and therefore hard to screw/unscrew.

After a few days, it became tighter and tighter, until I was not able to unscrew it (I had to wear rubber gloves and a dangerously firm grip to do it, with the risk of tearing the clip away if hand slipped).

Last week I wrote to Omas for help and, being in Bologna weekly for business reasons, asked if a personal visit was possible.

They answered positively and, "by chance", I decided this Monday, early morning, was a good time to go visit a customer in via del Fonditore (yes, right in front of... ;) ).

A very kind technician took the pen and asked if I could wait a few minutes.

Yes, I could...

Ten minutes later, he came back and told me:

"The cap WAS deformed and I TRIED reworking it internally"

(Here I got a bit anxious...)

"I was near to finish when the cap BROKE in two" :(

(Here I felt a bit weak in the knees...)

"So I changed it with a NOS one we still had in stock"

(Here I felt much better, if a little worried about the cost).

When I asked "Good, how much..." he answered:

"I broke it, so it's free of charge". :) :) :)

I think you need not more details about my feelings. Kudos to Omas!

Guess I'll have to buy more.

Tech details, if anybody happens to have the same pen:

* The cap is made with an inner resin cap with a very thin foil of briarwood wrapped on it. It is not a solid block of wood, turned to shape.

* On my cap, the wood detached from the inner cap and deformed it (I got the impression the issue was not unheard-of, at least for early pens like mine). The new cap is perfect.

* At Omas, they still have only a couple of spare caps (after twenty years...).

* He declared the A.V. is a great pen and that it can used without particular problems, but recommended to flush it often (monthly) and to operate the piston knob with particular care because the mechanism is a bit less robust than other Omas pens (to keep it very lightweight) and THEY HAVE NO MORE SPARE PARTS for it.

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enricof

• Tinjapan

• OMASsimo

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

THEY HAVE NO MORE SPARE PARTS for it.

Actually with your broken pen, they have some spare parts now. :lol: Seriously, congratulations on getting the pen "fixed".

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

THEY HAVE NO MORE SPARE PARTS for it.

Actually with your broken pen, they have some spare parts now. :lol: Seriously, congratulations on getting the pen "fixed".

Please don't tease me (e soprattutto non "chiamare rogna"). rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Now I have a brand new cap (but it is vintage as the pen, even color is exactly the same), but the original body is still the same (and the piston is smooth as silk :) ).

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

...being in Bologna weekly for business reasons, asked if a personal visit was possible.

Unfortunately, not an option for those of us stuck in the US.

Congrats for a great end to the story,

gary

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I recently got a gorgeous A.V.Unfortunately, I noticed the cap was a bit too tight and therefore hard to screw/unscrew. After a few days, it became tighter and tighter, until I was not able to unscrew it (I had to wear rubber gloves and a dangerously firm grip to do it, with the risk of tearing the clip away if hand slipped). Last week I wrote to Omas for help and, being in Bologna weekly for business reasons, asked if a personal visit was possible. They answered positively and, "by chance", I decided this Monday, early morning, was a good time to go visit a customer in via del Fonditore (yes, right in front of... wink.gif ). A very kind technician took the pen and asked if I could wait a few minutes. Yes, I could...Ten minutes later, he came back and told me:"The cap WAS deformed and I TRIED reworking it internally"(Here I got a bit anxious...)"I was near to finish when the cap BROKE in two" :sad:(Here I felt a bit weak in the knees...)"So I changed it with a NOS one we still had in stock"(Here I felt much better, if a little worried about the cost). When I asked "Good, how much..." he answered:"I broke it, so it's free of charge". :smile: :smile: :smile:I think you need not more details about my feelings. Kudos to Omas!Guess I'll have to buy more.Tech details, if anybody happens to have the same pen:* The cap is made with an inner resin cap with a very thin foil of briarwood wrapped on it. It is not a solid block of wood, turned to shape. * On my cap, the wood detached from the inner cap and deformed it (I got the impression the issue was not unheard-of, at least for early pens like mine). The new cap is perfect. * At Omas, they still have only a couple of spare caps (after twenty years...). * He declared the A.V. is a great pen and that it can used without particular problems, but recommended to flush it often (monthly) and to operate the piston knob with particular care because the mechanism is a bit less robust than other Omas pens (to keep it very lightweight) and THEY HAVE NO MORE SPARE PARTS for it.

May I ask in which year your pen was produced?

Thanks,

Todd

Year 1990

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

Grazie mille for sharing your story. I can imagine the emotional roller coaster you experienced! I'm glad for the happy ending. But I was most flabbergasted by the fact that OMAS still seems to operate service, I read they were liquidated. Is there hope for a resurrection?

Grazie mille for sharing your story. I can imagine the emotional roller coaster you experienced! I'm glad for the happy ending. But I was most flabbergasted by the fact that OMAS still seems to operate service, I read they were liquidated. Is there hope for a resurrection?

This is an old thread from 2010