Italic Handwriting Competition

James Pickering

thank you James---pen used 1947 Parker 51,fine to medium nib--ink used Private Reserve Tanzanite--paper used by Cambridge :)

Edited by yiterp

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp

brave,courageous and bold

long live his fame & long live his glory

and long may his story be told

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James Pickering

• wimg

• sonia_simone

• Stumpy

a sample

post-12-1157747754.jpg

Is this posting just a sample of your handwriting, Kurt, or is this your submission in the contest?

If it is meant as a submission, could you please re-scan it as the letterforms are displaying too small for me to evaluate their quality and construction in the present scan. Be sure to detail (make/manufacturer) the fountain pen, ink and paper you used as part of your submission as I illustrated in my exemplar.

Sent to me by yiterp -- scanned and posted as his submission per his request.

JP

http://jp29.org/cal333.jpg

You will have to re-do your submission, sorry -- the rules specify it must be rendered in black ink. Also, be sure to detail (make/manufacturer) the fountain pen, ink and paper you used as part of your submission as I illustrated in my exemplar.

James,

So glad to see you posting again :)

My scribble would never make it so I won't insult you  :doh:  Just glad you are around again.

Keep it up with the flat cap and Whippet  :ltcapd:

Jim  (Softie Southerner)  :bunny1:

Thanks for the salutation, Jim. If you love cricket please visit my web pages A Great Decade of Cricket 1938-1948

Also accessible via My Historical Web Pages (References & Resources) section of my Home page.

James

Edited by James Pickering

Stumpy's entry:

Ovid.pdf

Edited by Stumpy

GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,

My staff of faith to walk upon,

My scrip of joy, immortal diet,

My bottle of salvation,

My gown of glory, hope's true gage;

And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

Attempted to include scanned entry as .jpg.

Edited by Stumpy

My bottle of salvation,

Thanks very much, James.

My bottle of salvation,

Ummm... would it be possible to create a submission in another (suitably dark) color, and then scan it/ color correct it as black and white? I ask because I don't own black ink, but do have some blue-blacks, and really want to get in on this, just as soon as school lets up a little.

Edited by Hobo Bob

......... would it be possible to create a submission in another (suitably dark) color, and then scan it/ color correct it as black and white?  I ask because I don't own black ink, but do have some blue-blacks ..........

I just want all the submission writing to appear in black so there will be no suspicion of color preference influencing my selection -- of course, investing in a bottle of black ink in order to win a never opened first edition $100 book seems to me to be eminently worthwhile.

Is this posting just a sample of your handwriting, Kurt, or is this your submission in the contest?

If it is meant as a submission, could you please re-scan it as the letterforms are displaying too small for me to evaluate their quality and construction in the present scan. Be sure to detail (make/manufacturer) the fountain pen, ink and paper you used as part of your submission as I illustrated in my exemplar.

how about this one?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...=post&id=147980

K

Alright, Kurt.

* * * COMPETITION UPDATE * * *

If you submit more than one entry, I will only judge the last one submitted by 15 October 2006 that conforms to the Competition Rules.

Reiteration of the Competition Rules:

1. Renditions must be in the poster's own hand, scanned and displayed on this Board in this thread (see below).

2. I will host and post renditions for those who do not have access to a Web host -- send me an e-mail with the scan attached (max size: 640 pixels wide -- see additional posting by Wim).

3. A fountain pen (no dip pens or reservoired quills/cane pens), black ink, and paper must be used (detailed as part of the submitted rendition).

4. Plain or base-lined paper must be used -- no graph or letter body guide paper allowed.

5. Rendition must be full page (or thereabouts) -- it is easy to render a few lines of writing -- much more difficult to render a page.

6. All renditions for consideration must be submitted by 15 October 2006 -- I will announce the winners here shortly after that date.

7. Winners will have to provide me with their shipping addresses via private e-mail.

Remember, my judging of the submissions will be based on those that ..........

"best exemplify beautiful and elegant Italic handwriting and the spirit of its execution. I am not interested in display calligraphy .......... but rather handwriting that can be used in everyday pursuits such as correspondence, journaling, notes and personal cards, etc. -- and so precise layout and decoration is not a consideration. I have no concern for cross-outs, corrections or insertions -- for they are inherent in practical handwriting -- as long as they are tastefully executed. Therefor you don't have to worry about post-mortem mistakes you discover in a rendition that you are sure you could never duplicate. Use your own style of Italic"

James

Darn, all this talk of italic writing has made me buy a Black Lamy Studio with a 1.1mm stub nib on impulse yesterday (with Lamy black catridges). Just happened to be walking back to work, passed a pen shop. One credit card transaction later and within half an hour I've got a new work journal pen.

Image attached. The text above - my previous work journal pen - is a 1920s-30s Waterman Ideal 52 BHCR filled with Waterman Blue Black.

Guess I'm going to have to get my act together, get into the spirit of things, and enter the competition. Not to win, just to get the 'master' to cast his eye over my script.

Thanks for running this James. You're a star.

- Mark

EDIT: BTW this isn't the entry below!

Edited by london

Sent to me by yiterp -- scanned and posted as his submission per his request.

JP

http://jp29.org/cal333.jpg

You will have to re-do your submission, sorry -- the rules specify it must be rendered in black ink. Also, be sure to detail (make/manufacturer) the fountain pen, ink and paper you used as part of your submission as I illustrated in my exemplar.

I just did a quick colour switch for him on Photoshop...is this allowed by the rules?

post-12-1159523193_thumb.jpg

I just did a quick colour switch for him on Photoshop...is this allowed by the rules?

Well your intention is most noble and appreciated, kissing. But, despite your best efforts, the quality of the appearance of the writing is degraded in my eyes.

To me, it would make more sense for yiterp to simply re-write the submission using black ink as specified in the rules -- that is what I would do if I really wanted to win the competition.

Mark, hope you're enjoying the new find!

I have my entry written out, now to find a scanner in our new offices . . .

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I have mine done too....but I left it at home where the scanner is missing a usb cable...so will have to wait.

Maybe I will redo it again by then...

indecisive

Denise

james, what a wonderful idea! ann finley apprised me of the existence of this contest, as i do not traverse the gamut of available boards often, and stick to one or two due to constraints of time. i prepared my exemplar (under the influence of winking owl merlot, which i daresay did not compromise the effort!) and shall scan it in on monday. i remain true to life, and illustrate the difficulties of using practical italic writing in equations and scientific work---hope it does not fall too far off the target. anyhow, if so i can always resubmit another by the due date that is more conventional. i wanted to illustrate all the angles of using practical italic writing in daily work and my work is mostly equations! and one of these days, i mean to scan my ampersand page, with all the variations of the ampersands i have improvised on, the most intriguing 27th letter of the alphabet. :D

speaking of which, i mean also to scan in exemplars of writing in sanskrit font---nathan had me translate for him a bunch of phrases from english to chaste (or scholarly) hindi, to which i applied to my mother, a hindi MA, who gladly was able to comply---the final calligraphy was mine, and hope nathan found it of some use. i have still not heard an acknowledgement from him, and when i do, off go a dozen pens for a superstub or music nib retip :P