Sailor 1911 Realo, Naginata Cross Concord Emperor Nib

Kessel

http://storage.gaieios.com/kessel/images/realo%20may%202010/4.jpg

What a mouthful of a name.

I know you're all aficionados, so I'll spare you the lengthy ramble. John Mottishaw's site offers the Sailor speciality nibs on the 1911 model. Curious, I called to ask if they would bolt a speciality nib to a 1911 Realo, since I prefer piston-fill to c/c. The short answer was, "Hmm. We could almost certainly do that."

One week later, and here we are. This is a Sailor 1911 Realo, fitted with a Naginata Cross Concord Emperor nib, 21k. Reviews of this nib are few and far between, and, as far as I can tell, nobody has been idiotic enough to bolt the nib to a Realo. It's me; I'm the lunatic.

Previous reviews of the Realo itself can be found here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127139

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133008

And here, a past review of the CCE nib:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/59038-sailor-1911-l-with-a-cross-concord-emperor/

With that, let's get down to brass tacks.

http://storage.gaieios.com/kessel/images/realo%20may%202010/3.jpg

I'll gloss over the pen itself, since that has been amply covered in previous reviews. The 1911 Realo is a black pen, all acrylic and resin as far as I know, with gold trim. There is a small and very functional clear ink window just beneath the cap line that is visible even when the pen is capped. A band, marked "Sailor Japan Founded 1911" runs around the base of the cap. The pen itself is a torpedo: a classic design, with the only unique feature being the ink window. The fit and finish is good, and the pen itself isn't heavy - in fact, I find it rather light even when fully inked. Hand feel is excellent and the material is not slippery.

The Realo is a piston-filler. John Mottishaw's site lists the capacity as 1.5 cc.

Now: the nib.

http://storage.gaieios.com/kessel/images/realo%20may%202010/5.jpg

The Cross Concord Emperor is a speciality nib available from Sailor's Naginata line. Each part of the name designates a particular component of the nib:

Cross: There is a cross-slit in the tip.

Concord: The tip points slightly downward - imagine the Concorde plane's nose.

Emperor: Overfeed system on the top, consisting of a gold bar that lets ink well up above the nib. Results in instant, on-demand inkflow.

A closer picture of the nib can be found here:

http://www.nibs.com/SailorSpecialtyNibs.htm

Scroll down the page for the picture of the Cross Concord, then mentally add the Emperor bar above it.

Written right-side up, the nib gives a fine line perfectly suited to everyday writing. The nib itself is stiff, as expected of such a complex and built-up nib. A good amount of feedback and a rich flow reward the writer's careful hand.

Turned upside down, however, the nib shows its special flavour. It creates a broad stroke perfect for signatures, or wherever a solid, emphatic line is required. Higher angles create less broad strokes; holding the pen at a lower angle creates ridiculously juicy, rewarding strokes that will please the most picky of broad-nib writers.

Writing sample:

http://storage.gaieios.com/kessel/images/realo%20may%202010/writing.jpg

I have samples of the nib making even broader, juicier strokes than the sample I scanned. If you like broad writing, you will not be disappointed.

So what do I think? Well, I adore the nib.

It's a nib that grants the writer so many options, and fits so many different writing situations. It has the build quality that Sailor nibs are known for, it's utterly unique and even fountain pen aficionados like us sit up and take notice when a mutated nib like this pops out of someone's pen case.

Essentially, it's ugly as sin and I love it to death. I believe you will, too. Many thanks to John and the rest at Nibs.com for making this one possible!

Edited by Kessel

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kessel

• mongrelnomad

• Cyclopentadiene

• seasterl

A unique customization! I enjoyed the review and hope to read of more customizations: They add interest for the collector. Regards, Andy

I've been considering one of Sailor's specialty nibs, at least until I took note of the cost and the decided I could buy a couple extra nibs for the cost of this one. Of course, it would be nice to have three nibs in one as long as each feature is a welcomed and useful feature for the user.

Dare I ask - how much?

The pen itself runs 328 from John. The nib is 372. Yes, my wallet is still aching! :)

If that sounds steep, but you still want a customisation of this sort, consider the following options:

- You can buy a Realo (Pro Gear, the new model) from the 'Bay for just 177 (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/Sailor-PRO-GEAR-REALO-Vacuum-FillingSystem-Fountain-Pen-/170492881641?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b22aeae9#ht_2417wt_913 from engeika, a well-known and reputable seller). After that, send it in to John for the nib change. That will save you quite a bit of money, but you will have to wait for John to get around to your pen, which could take a few months.

- You do not have to get the Emperor version of the nib. The Cross Concord nib (no Emperor overfeed) should run around 100 cheaper.

Between these two options, you would save about 250, bringing the pen down to close to 500. That is still expensive, but puts it in the range of people considering pens like the Pilot Custom 845.

I've been considering one of Sailor's specialty nibs, at least until I took note of the cost and the decided I could buy a couple extra nibs for the cost of this one. Of course, it would be nice to have three nibs in one as long as each feature is a welcomed and useful feature for the user.

Yes, that was part of my decision-making process!

I use the pen right-side up to write notes, broad side with high angle for headings, and the really broad stroke for signatures. That's essentially like carrying three pens in one - this pen is so versatile I think it justifies the cost. If you get a pen of this sort it is more or less going to be your flagship pen and your daily writer.

Mainly, I didn't want to buy yet another regular fountain pen with a different body but the same old nib. I figured that if I wanted to add another pen to my list, it had better be a genuinely unique and - most importantly! - very pragmatic choice.

Edited by Kessel

Very very interesting! The Cross Concord (Emperor or not) is a very interesting nib - probably the most interesting in sailor's vast inventory as a daily-user nib.

Question, though: does John sell the nib separately (as you hinted above) as I gathered that it is Sailor policy to only sell their nibs with a pen? I ask because I have a lonely Realo that would love just such a transplant, and because I feel the nib (maybe in a KOP size) would be a very exciting implant on a Bruno Corsini crescent filler...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Very unique pen, very big nib, I wonder if it is designed for writing Japanese or okay for English..

Very very interesting! The Cross Concord (Emperor or not) is a very interesting nib - probably the most interesting in sailor's vast inventory as a daily-user nib.

Question, though: does John sell the nib separately (as you hinted above) as I gathered that it is Sailor policy to only sell their nibs with a pen? I ask because I have a lonely Realo that would love just such a transplant, and because I feel the nib (maybe in a KOP size) would be a very exciting implant on a Bruno Corsini crescent filler...

I'm not sure - you'll have to ask John. I would imagine Sailor wouldn't have a problem with you attaching the nib to one of their pens, but bolting it to a non-Sailor pen is probably a no-no.

Very unique pen, very big nib, I wonder if it is designed for writing Japanese or okay for English..

I write in both languages daily. The nib performs admirably for both.

Dare I ask - how much?

The pen itself runs 328 from John. The nib is 372. Yes, my wallet is still aching! :)

If that sounds steep, but you still want a customisation of this sort, consider the following options:

- You can buy a Realo (Pro Gear, the new model) from the 'Bay for just 177 (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/Sailor-PRO-GEAR-REALO-Vacuum-FillingSystem-Fountain-Pen-/170492881641?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b22aeae9#ht_2417wt_913 from engeika, a well-known and reputable seller). After that, send it in to John for the nib change. That will save you quite a bit of money, but you will have to wait for John to get around to your pen, which could take a few months.

- You do not have to get the Emperor version of the nib. The Cross Concord nib (no Emperor overfeed) should run around 100 cheaper.

Between these two options, you would save about 250, bringing the pen down to close to 500. That is still expensive, but puts it in the range of people considering pens like the Pilot Custom 845.

Yes, that was part of my decision-making process!

I use the pen right-side up to write notes, broad side with high angle for headings, and the really broad stroke for signatures. That's essentially like carrying three pens in one - this pen is so versatile I think it justifies the cost. If you get a pen of this sort it is more or less going to be your flagship pen and your daily writer.

Mainly, I didn't want to buy yet another regular fountain pen with a different body but the same old nib. I figured that if I wanted to add another pen to my list, it had better be a genuinely unique and - most importantly! - very pragmatic choice.

i doubt that realo will sell for 177, and if it did, then it's an extremely good bargain. a more realistic pricing will be $250.

i had the same idea as yours: the realo body but not the normal 1911 nib. so i had mine changed to the MF togi nib. i should be receiving it soon.

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the very same nib and pen from John about 6 or 7 months ago. As stated it performs great.

I've just purchased the same nib - also from John, to put on my Creatures of the Deep 1911. Looking forward to it!

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the excellent review.

I have been curious about the Sailor specialty nibs, but there are so few reviews out there. It's nice to see the Cross Concord Emperor reviewed.

Does anyone have a Sailor King Eagle nib or know of a review? Having searched FPN, I've only been able to come across reviews of the Cross Concord.

Nibs are the most important part of a pen to me and it's a big gamble to purchase some of these Sailor nibs without knowing what you are getting into considering the considerable cost of gold these days. Mariana at nibs.com quoted the King Eagle at $625.00 USD about a month back. That's just the nib, no pen attached. hmm1.gif

I like the bamboo pens made my Sailor, but it would cost $2,300.00 + USD. The 1911 Realo looks nicer than I anticipated, but I'm still not in love with any of Sailor's pen designs.

Well... great review of a marvelous nib. Please review the King Eagle nib if anyone out there in FPN land has one.

Cheers!

• 11 months later...

Hey Kessel,

Thanks for the review! Could I ask if the fine point in the normal writing position is reasonably smooth (considering its complexity). I was reading an article by Mottishaw on a Sailor Pen clinic recently and it was mentioned that the builder of these nibs made them more towards crispness than smoothness when compared with his fathers works... I can't remember the exact wording. Anyway... I just wanted to make sure that the fine side was smooth?

As for Xuan87's comment about the cost of a Realo, I myself have seen them that cheap. Although it's obviously rather rare.

I have one (Cross Emperor, not Concord) No way to do a review at the moment, but be aware the Realo is a relatively small pen. If you see a review of Stipula's 52 nib, the behavior is very similar. It's a very wet nib that behaves something like a 3B nib turned on its side so the thickness is vertical rather than horizontal. The effects are positional.

I write daily with nibs as large as 3B, but I find myself unable to use this as a daily writer as the necessity for exaggerated strokes to bring out the beautiful effects possible with the nib slows me down to a crawl. If you sketch or do calligraphy, I'd recommend it as you sketch your letters more than write them.

I never flip it over to use the fine side as I loathe F nibs, so it seems okay to me.

I lurked on Engeika's eBay site tossing out wishful bids until I got lucky. A search of completed listings will give you a ballpark.

I have one (Cross Emperor, not Concord) No way to do a review at the moment, but be aware the Realo is a relatively small pen. If you see a review of Stipula's 52 nib, the behavior is very similar. It's a very wet nib that behaves something like a 3B nib turned on its side so the thickness is vertical rather than horizontal. The effects are positional.

I write daily with nibs as large as 3B, but I find myself unable to use this as a daily writer as the necessity for exaggerated strokes to bring out the beautiful effects possible with the nib slows me down to a crawl. If you sketch or do calligraphy, I'd recommend it as you sketch your letters more than write them.

I never flip it over to use the fine side as I loathe F nibs, so it seems okay to me.

I lurked on Engeika's eBay site tossing out wishful bids until I got lucky. A search of completed listings will give you a ballpark.

Thanks for the heads up Ghostplane!