Romet Asia

Judybug

Romet Asia Fountain Pen

This is my first fountain pen review. I’ve been told that Romet is pronounced “ro-may.” This sounds good to me – that’s how we would say it here in Cajunland.

First Impressions:

I was originally attracted to the color and design of this pen. It comes in four colors: Pomegranate [red], Tangerine [orange], Panda [black & white], and Brown Quartz [brown - mostly]. This is an acrylic resin pen with a beautiful, swirly pattern - or patterns. I suspect that no two are exactly alike.

It came in a presentation box of black leather with white stitching and a clear panel in the hinged lid. The box has a luggage type locking clasp, complete with a key. Along with the pen was a converter, cartridge, and warranty card. The pen is guaranteed “throughout the life of the original owner who purchased the product.” The Romet Service Center address in Florida is given as well as a contact e-mail address.

Appearance & Finish:

This pen has a high gloss finish. Although the color I chose is called Pomegranate, it reminds me of luscious, ripe strawberries. The color ranges from almost pink in places to deep red with black swirls. It’s fun to look at. I’m always seeing new patterns in the design. The section is made of the same resin and design as the barrel. This pen has a chrome clip and a wide decorative chrome band around the base of the cap. The cut out pattern on this chrome band is an Asian design. The pen is well constructed. The resin is evenly glossy - no dull spots. The chrome parts are evenly finished and secure.

Design, Size, & Weight:

This is a large pen. It is cigar shaped - wide in the center and tapering to the rounded ends. The grip is large and comfortable.

Dimensions:

Capped: 6 inches

Uncapped: 5 1/4 inches

Posted: 6 ½ inches

Diameter: 9/16 inch [at widest part of barrel]

Weight [approximate weights on digital kitchen scale]:

Cap: 5/8 oz. or 18 grams

Pen: 3/8+oz. or 14 grams

Capped Pen: 1 1/8 oz. or 34 grams

Since the cap weighs more than the pen, I find it uncomfortable to write with this pen posted. Unposted, it is a light-weight pen, and I find it well balanced. The cap screws on with about 1 ½ turns.

Nib Design & Performance:

The only nib width available in this pen is medium. However, I would describe it as almost fine. It is a large nib, measuring 15/16 inch from the tip of the nib to the section. The size of the nib is in proportion to the rest of the pen. The nib is two tone gold/steel with an iridium tip. It has a slight flex. It is certainly not a rigid nib, but it isn’t highly flexible either. When I first wrote with it, I thought it was slightly toothy. After using it a while, I find it smoother and less toothy; however, I would not describe it as “buttery.” The flow is medium to wet. I’ve done a lot of writing with it, and it has never skipped.

Filling System:

This pen uses standard international cartridges. The converter is the standard size piston converter.

Cost/Value:

I have seen the Romet Asia on several websites for as much as $90.00. I purchased it for $61.99 from isellpens.com. When ordering pens it is always a good idea to find out the seller’s return policy and make certain that they stand behind the pens that they sell. My pen arrived in perfect condition about five days after I placed my order. After using it, I would not be disappointed if I had paid $90.00 for it, but I’m happy that I got it for less.

Conclusion:

I have had this pen about a month and have used it to write 25 full pages in my journal, so it has had a good workout. The nib is just right for me. It does not catch on paper fibers. It’s smooth enough to be enjoyable, but not so buttery smooth that it is hard to control. I am very pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone who likes a large pen. I find the large size to be very comfortable with my slightly arthritic writing hand.

post-34-1157655790_thumb.jpg

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Judybug

• R.ticle One

• wiglaf

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the Romet Asia with some other pens so you can compare size.

From left to right:

Haolilai

Duke Sapphire

Romet Asia

Waterman Phileas

Sheaffer NoNonsense

post-34-1157655974_thumb.jpg

Super review, Judybug!

I love the colour of the Romet you chose. :drool:

Thanks for spotlighting this great-looking pen!

~Maja

P.S. Your journal has some entries that remind me of Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, a novel I much enjoyed reading years ago :)

Wow, great review. What a pretty pen!

What's the ink color? It looks very cool in that close-up.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Thanks, Maja & Sonia Simone.

My notes are indeed on Ivanhoe. Always wanted to read it. Had to be retired to get around to it. :P

The ink is Private Reserve's Orange Crush.

Judybug

So that's how Orange Crush is supposed to look! I hope PR gets that color "fixed" because it sure looks nice! You have nice penmanship too. Your journaling makes me want to read "Ivanhoe." (Sorry...I don't know how to make the title get underlined.) How are you enjoying it? Does it take a lot of concentration to read? (I am surrounded by young distractions...) OOPS! I guess I got WAY off topic for this thread. :blush:

P-zero,

I've finished Ivanhoe and really did enjoy it. I thought it was a little tedious at the beginning - a bit of a slow starter, but maybe that's just me.

Keeping the journal really helped me keep the plot and the characters straight.

I'm glad I discovered this Romet pen. It's the only pen I have that lets me write pages and pages at a time. I still use all my other beloved pens for lists and short notes, but this Romet is so much more compatible with my arthritis problems when I'm doing long writing sessions.

Judybug

P. S. Ah, yes. I remember "young distractions." Bless their little hearts! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! You know, this very pen caught my eye and my hand caught it when I was at the Toronto Pen Show this year. The gentleman behind whichever vendor's table that was selling it was very accomodating, and showed it to me when I asked if he might have something with some flex to the nib, of a larger size body, and for a good price.

I gave it a test run, however, if I correctly recall, the nib seemed to be too toothy for my preference. I just didn't like the performance all that much. The price was very good, but I didn't bite at the time. Perhaps one to reconsider though, for the future.

Maybe the one he had out for demo purposes just was a bit scratchier? I do definately agree that the nib was not truly flexy, and not truly stiff.

I am glad that you are enjoying it so much! :D

R.ticle One

R.ticle One,

My Romet is definitely smoother now than it was when I got it. I've written with it a lot, and the more I use it the better it seems to get - although - as I mentioned in the review, it is not what I'd call "buttery." The hardest part of writing a pen review is describing the nib performance. It's such a personal thing. What one person would describe as "a little toothy," some else might refer to as "scratchy." Right now I would describe my Romet as "barely toothy."

Judybug

R.ticle One,

My Romet is definitely smoother now than it was when I got it. I've written with it a lot, and the more I use it the better it seems to get - although - as I mentioned in the review, it is not what I'd call "buttery." The hardest part of writing a pen review is describing the nib performance. It's such a personal thing. What one person would describe as "a little toothy," some else might refer to as "scratchy." Right now I would describe my Romet as "barely toothy."

Judybug

This is true, that is, the personal description of how a nib performs from one person to the next! Certainly, the nib could feel smoother after considerable writing with it in the same person's hands. A little tooth on the paper can be a nice sensation - when I owned a Faber Castell E-motion FP (which I returned because I just wasn't sure about the chrome section for the grip), I noticed that the SS nib was very unique in it's tooth. It had "bite" but was still smooth and very satisfying to use.

Well, if I come across one of these Romets again, maybe I will give it another try. Keep enjoying it!

R.ticle One

• 1 month later...

Dear Judybug-

Rarely do I find a written description equal to the object of description, but yours fit perfectly- I bought a Romet Asia in brown, yup, mostly brown, because your review was visual and tactile-

Received the pen three months ago and have not been disappointed- well, the chrome "arm band" on the bottom of the cap slid off immediately, but that was it- Love the feel, the weight-

Thanks for taking the time to have produced so honest a review.

Tony

Tony,

I'm glad you found the review to be accurate. It's nice to know another Romet enthusiast. :P BTW, were you able to securely replace the "arm band" after it fell off? :o

You might be interested to know that Romet has two new fountain pens. I believe the "Pisa" is already available. I'm not crazy about it just from an appearance standpoint. But of course that's just personal taste. The "Emperor" is coming out it January and I do like its style - especially the black & white. You can take a look at them at www.romet.us

Judybug

Edited by Judybug

Dear Judybug-

Got the sleeve back on with a slight touch of super glue (I know that should not be done, but it was the only glue I had)- and am actually using the pen much more than I had thought- filled it with Noodler's Saguaro, and I love it.

Thanks once again.

By the way, your description of the nib becoming more friendly is right on target.

Tony