The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Securing Parker Clip Screws And Jewels....

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 DavidCampen

DavidCampen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 00:03

The absolute best way to remove and install most jewels in Parker Vacumatics and 51's is actually very simple.  Get a hot glue gun and put a generous drop on it.  After it hardens, you can turn the glue blob and the jewel comes out easily.  Peel off when done.  I've done this tons of times with no ill effects to jewels.  Anything stubborn just requires a 5 minute soak in water before turning.  To date, I've never had it not work.  Hope this helps someone, since it beats all other methods I've tried by a long shot.  

I am thinking of trying using sealing wax to hold a Parker 75 tassie so that I can unscrew it. I have gotten some off using a rubber band etc. for gripping but some tassies are more resistant to unscrewing.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Sponsored Content

#22 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:25

Use a rosin based sealant.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#23 TimelessVintagePens

TimelessVintagePens

Mint

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 18:53

Would there be anything wrong with using a good, non-abrasive eraser to unscrew the jewel?

61rxQmu-BaL._SL1308_.jpg

I can stop any time.

-Me

#24 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 22:02

If its sticky enough, it might work.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

|