Cheap Italic Pen Recommendation?

stevepoppers

Pelikan script, or, if you want to try something different, pilot parallel.

I carry one of each with me all the time. I end up using them mainly to explain the different variants of nibs to the fountain-pen curious, however.

Currently using: pelikan 320 + sheaffer balance

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• TangleCrafts

• Anes

• stevepoppers

"Has anybody tried Parker Vector with italic nib?"

- Yes; it has a good variation of line width and is smooth to write with. It's not quite as fine as the Pluminix but has more definition than the Lamy 1.1i. Of all the italic nibs I have tried so far, this one works the most naturally with my handwriting. Unfortunately, the pen is just too small (for me) to write comfortably with it for extended periods. :(

I do like the Pelikan Script, too. The 1mm nib is actually broader than the Lamy 1.1i, and has good definition. I would say the Lamy is best for those with smaller handwriting (and the Pluminix best for those with tiny hands!).

"I am surprised nobody has mentioned yet is the Pilot Parallel pen (available in 1.5, 2.4, 3.8 & 6.0)."

I looked into it when I started investigating italic nibs, and I think it is supposed to be a very good writer (and the colour-blending aspect attracted me, too :) ). The only reason I didn't (yet) succumb is because the finest nib is 1.5, which I imagined would be too broad for everyday handwriting. Given my other experiments, and discovering the vast differences between 'fine' in all the different brands, it is probably worth trying out, though. Does anybody know how it compares to the Pelikan Script 1.5? I have one of these currently uninked, so if someone can tell me if it is broader, narrower or quite similar to the Pelikan 1.5, it would give me a better idea of what to expect...

Edited by TangleCrafts

...I have inky little fingers...

Thought I would do a quick nib comparison sampler (please excuse my lack of italic penmanship skills; I just like using the italic nibs to add a bit of character to my normal handwriting rather than trying to do anything fancy):

http://tanglecrafts.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/italic-nib-samples.jpg

For reference, samples are written in a Muji notebook (55% recycled paper) which did not show any bleed through.  The inks shown from top to bottom are: Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Imperial Purple again, Herbin Poussiere de Lune (far darker than usual in this pen), Diamine Damson, Private Reserve Ebony Blue, and my own Inky Little Olive blend.

(Off topic, note the dramatic difference in colour between the two Imperial Purple samples.  I have the same ink in two more (different) pens and in each one, the colour comes out distinctly different again.  This is an ink that does tricks!  I think the Lamy sample above is closest to how I expected the colour to behave, but it doesn't come close to that in my other pens.  Weird.)

...I have inky little fingers...

Has anybody tried Parker Vector with italic nib?

My partner, who does a bit of elementary calligraphy, loves the Vector's fine italic nib! I got the Vector calligraphy set several years ago and the fine nib was immediately "borrowed" and never came back. I tried it and it wrote as well as any italic nib I've every used. And to my surprise, it started up immediately after not being used for two weeks. I don't like the way the Vector feels in my hand. It's too thin. But I have to admit that fine italic nib wrote very well. (The pen is not mine anymore though. :rolleyes:)

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Pengrump

Question for Lamy 1.1 users: what ink you are using with this pen? I don't see good line variation with Lamy Black ink.

Question for Lamy 1.1 users: what ink you are using with this pen? I don't see good line variation with Lamy Black ink.

Hi,

I use pretty much whatever ink I choose. I do not have any Black FP ink. From my experience, the nib performance is not all that much different with different inks.

IMHO, the Lamy 1.1 is interesting but disingenuous : the line width it generates is not 1.1, but more like 0.7mm - not a trivial difference. For the most part, any reasonably well-behaved FP ink on writing paper will show line-width variation with the 1.1 nib, but the shape of the nib, Cursive Italic / Stub, is not all that well executed.

Also, my experience is that the feed on the Safari cannot keep pace with the demands of the numbered nibs. Consequently, when writing at pace, the density from start to finish moves from dark to pale; so using pale inks are out of the question. So I use the 1.1 for short notes, of say 1 page or less.

Here's a sample from the 1.1; and a sample from a 'true' Crisp Italic nib:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN322.jpg

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I don't have a 1.5 pilot parallel, nor any kind of decent italic handwriting (this is just my normal handwriting), but here's a comparison of the pelikan and pilot sizes I have.

This paper had no bleed through at all, it's the paper I usually use for calligraphy, leaves sharp edges, no feathering, etc.

It is written with waterman black ink.

http://i50.tinypic.com/ojl5bp.jpg

Sorry for the beginning of the 3.8 line, I was just dipping these pens and some residual ink was causing problems.

Currently using: pelikan 320 + sheaffer balance

im sorry to thread jack, while we are discussing italic nibs...

I just got my lamy 1.5 pen, and i dont know if its my imagination, but it seems to be very scratchy...

can anyone chime in on this?

I been searching but too many threads pop up and i just get so tired of reading everything trying to find the answer...

is it normal for italic nibs from lamy to feel a little scratchy?

i cant tell if its out of alignment or not, but it seems to be pretty straight... and i am a fountain pen newbie, this would be my second fountain pen, the first... is gone somewhere... no idea where it went but it was a scratching nightmare from pilot...

the thing is i can get it to write smooth based on pressure, how i hold it (not sure if its straight or not, but in a certain way it is very minimal, just slight roughness...

I am also using the blue that came with the pen, i got a converter for the lamy blue black, but decided that i should try on the blue first to see how i like it...

I like the pen but its just not as smooth as i'd imagine a fountain pen to be (smoother than ball point pens??)

im sorry if i dont have a good description, i just dont know how to describe it well... and sorry to thread jack, but i just figure we are talking about nibs here, and i dont have to create a new thread...

QC on Lamy nibs seem spotty.

I had a Safari M a while back but the nib was scratchy and the flow stingy.

I just bought a Safari 1.1 and it's smooth and buttery with the blue cart that came with it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My Lamy Joy 1.5 is nice. I bought it because my English made Osmiroid 65 set was missing the BB.

I have an old Sheaffer three nib set too. It's broad is @ the same size as the, Lamy 1.5. It's medium is wider than the Osmiroid broad.

The English 65/75 Osmiroid nib and pen set was bought because the nibs also fits Esterbrooks...the Chinese Osmiroid don't.

Check English Ebay....but they may now be scarce, I've had no reason to look for the set, but couldn't lay my hands on a single missing BB nib, before buying the Lamy Joy.

For months I say I'm going to do finish learning the alphabet, for months I turn on the computer first....no discipline, me. :headsmack: Still at P.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

i guess i just gotta get use to writing with a slight scratch for now... i cant afford a upgrade or replacement :( I was hoping this pen would be perfect.

its a lamy orange safari! :)

i already removed the tip to check for alignment to the best of my abilities and all that good stuff... maybe ill switch to 1.1 nib so i can write smaller.

Hi,

I use pretty much whatever ink I choose. I do not have any Black FP ink. From my experience, the nib performance is not all that much different with different inks.

IMHO, the Lamy 1.1 is interesting but disingenuous : the line width it generates is not 1.1, but more like 0.7mm - not a trivial difference. For the most part, any reasonably well-behaved FP ink on writing paper will show line-width variation with the 1.1 nib, but the shape of the nib, Cursive Italic / Stub, is not all that well executed.

Also, my experience is that the feed on the Safari cannot keep pace with the demands of the numbered nibs. Consequently, when writing at pace, the density from start to finish moves from dark to pale; so using pale inks are out of the question. So I use the 1.1 for short notes, of say 1 page or less.

Bye,

S1

I have the same feeling with L1.1 and I prefer my Pilot 78G B. But 1.5mm is another story: very nice variation!

Thank you very much for your answer, Sandy!

im sorry to thread jack, while we are discussing italic nibs...

I just got my lamy 1.5 pen, and i dont know if its my imagination, but it seems to be very scratchy...

can anyone chime in on this?

I been searching but too many threads pop up and i just get so tired of reading everything trying to find the answer...

is it normal for italic nibs from lamy to feel a little scratchy?

i cant tell if its out of alignment or not, but it seems to be pretty straight... and i am a fountain pen newbie, this would be my second fountain pen, the first... is gone somewhere... no idea where it went but it was a scratching nightmare from pilot...

the thing is i can get it to write smooth based on pressure, how i hold it (not sure if its straight or not, but in a certain way it is very minimal, just slight roughness...

I am also using the blue that came with the pen, i got a converter for the lamy blue black, but decided that i should try on the blue first to see how i like it...

I like the pen but its just not as smooth as i'd imagine a fountain pen to be (smoother than ball point pens??)

im sorry if i dont have a good description, i just dont know how to describe it well... and sorry to thread jack, but i just figure we are talking about nibs here, and i dont have to create a new thread...

Apart from the fact that you might have been unlucky with a bad nib, you must keep in mind that Lamy Safari italic nibs are crisp italic, very squared tipped, so you must hold the nib at the right angle to avoid the sharp corners to scratch the paper. Italic nibs do not suit everyone's writing and you might need to practice different ways to hold the pen. Usual medium, fine, and broad nibs are usually round tipped and much more forgiving about writing angles. My 10 years daughter likes to play with these italic nibs but she has to pay lots of attention to her writing so the flow is smooth.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah