How much should I expect to pay for a 51

spacin

Hello,

I am wondering how much is a fair price for a 51 in good working condition.

Nothing of collectors quality, but a good working pen

Thanks

Jason

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oxonian

• wtp

• RyanL27

• spacin

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jason,

I just send you a PM with some info.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

I am also interested in this question.

I don't really care how it looks (unless it's "Hello Kitty" pink), but

it should feel well put together, and write well.

Over the years I have found lots of 51's at flea markets and antique stores for $10-$25. It's buyer beware, but if I buy an aero filler they usually write well once they get a water rinse, nothing more. If you buy one from a repair person all certified ready to go I'd expect to pay $40 for a basic writer, and of course the sky's the limit if you want aluminum jewels, mustard yellow with empire caps etc etc.

I did a study of 319 "51"s on eBay last year. The minimum price that a pen sold for was $9.99 and the maximum was $710. The median price was $50 for a standard sized, aerometric with a fine or medium nib and a Lusteralloy cap.

Note: These were all complete pens with no damage beyond very minor cap dings.

The factors that added greatly to the price were

Demonstrator (add $320.63 to the base price)

Unusual nibs (add $74.25)

Double Jewels (add $103)

First year (add $89.96)

Rare color (add $74.50)

Rare caps also add to the price but I didn't get enough in my sample to estimate how they affect the price.

I hope this helps a little.

Ben

Edited by Benjamin McFerret

Hello Wtp

If you find a 'Hello Kitty' or pepto-bismol pink 51 for the price of an ordinary run of the mill one grab it, I've only ever seen one compared to half a dozen mustard/empire ones, the pink might not be so sought after as the mustard ones but I have an idea that it is a lot less common.

As far as I know it was an Argentinan product, the only example I have seen was in Pen Haven in Kensington, Maryland earlier this year, there was no price on it but Burt Heisermann, the owner was open to offers. :D

Cheers, John

If you find a 'Hello Kitty' or pepto-bismol pink 51 for the price of an ordinary run of the mill one grab it ....

Acknowledged. I was imagining one that was decorated, post-production, by the previous owner.

Wtp,

Something along the lines of an impromptu hippy attempt at Maki-e of flowers and stars done with nail varnish perhaps, as seen in !970's local flea market, the cap had started life as stainless steel had been coated in translucent orange and purple bands. I bought it for £1.50 ($3.00) the whole thing just needed putting out of its misery. :(

I still have the lovely broad oblique nib that was in it in one of my pens :D, the rest of it went to that place that mistreated pens end their life, the trash can.

Cheers, John

My thoughts are that in the past 12-15 months the price of a decent "51" has increased. Last year I would have expected to get a good "51" Aero user, black with a Lustraloy cap, for around £20, bit more for other colours, GF caps etc. Today however, the price is going to be closer to £30 and a LOT more for any special.

"51" Vacs are rare in the UK, they were only made in Newhaven for a very short time and as such get quite a premium. A "51" Vac with an English GF Cap and a big fat Newhaven nib is quite desireable. An unrestored Vac will cost about $50 on eBay from the US, with extras for Silver, GF and special caps and colours. A restored user is going to be about $75-$90ish. 85% will have a fine or maybe an XF nib, expect to pay a premium for Medium and a lot more for any Broad, Stub or Italic. (As an aside I swap the US Fine nibs for UK Mediums/Broads as they are more common here, whereas the fines are rarer)

Thanks to Ben for his analysis, but it omits one important factor, the Grizze! :sick:

A Grizze is the ability to find something rare and desireable, incorrectly described on eBay, and buy it, including getting it shipped, for a bit less than $10. Me bitter? Who? :doh:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!