Since My Cross Solo Arrived...

FP_Lover

It has literally not been out of my hand. :-) I think this is the best writing pen I've ever used.

Period - no qualifications or caveats. Just the flat out best. I'm stunned at how smooth it is and I love the fact that the body is light even with the cap posted. It's just unbeatable. I strongly recommend this to anyone who wants to convert a new FP user over to the cause.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arvadajames

• FP_Lover

• RLTodd

• solaris

I just received mine in the mail this evening. Did yours come with a converter? Mine didn't and I would like to get one if they make one that will fit.

I have been writing with mine for about an hour this morning. It is really smooth. I think it is the smoothest FP I own regardless of price. Pretty impressive for a $15 pen, but I shouldn't be surprised, I always enjoyed Cross pens before I got into FP.

I just received mine in the mail this evening. Did yours come with a converter? Mine didn't and I would like to get one if they make one that will fit.

Contact A.T. Cross, they have an email point at their web site.

http://www.cross.com/

My Solo came new with a converter and it looks to me to be exactly the same as the one they use in the Townsend. You should confirm this with A.T. Cross.

I see they list them for $4 USD on their company store.

YMMV

Who is selling the Solo now? Most pen stores don't seem to carry it.

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Who is selling the Solo now? Most pen stores don't seem to carry it.

John

I'm guessing but I think this is the situation:

A.T. Cross discontinued the pen sometime ago. However, it seems there were large stocks delivered to the custom pen imprinting industry. This in addition to unsold stocks has kept new pens available here and there.

I think the ones without the converter are comming out of the imprinting industry. It seems Cross over estimated the number of companies who wanted to have their name imprinted on them for advertising purposes.

(FWIW, I would be very happy with a Cross Solo with a SPAM or Yugo imprint on it.)

YMMV

Some of the Solo BPs on ebay are customized or have a theme - Atlanta Olympics, Cat Lover, sunflowers etc. None of the FPs do. But the fact that they were from the imprinting industry would explain why the colors are so odd... To be memorable advertising items, I think.

I have two Solos. Unbelievable writers. They put to bed several of my (more expensive) pens, including all the modern Parkers I have.

But the converter thing is a mistery for me. I tried the Solos with two different push-in converters (the green one) and I have occasional leak of ink. I then tried to snap a screw-in type (pale blue converter), and it doesn't fin the section. I saw on Cross site that there is a yellow converter, also screw-in, but for the picture it seems to me that is almost the same I have in blue.

I went to a reputable pen shop here in Paris to ask, and they insisted in the push-in converter... I sent several emails to Cross USA and France, but no answer...

I don't know, but my Solos are the only pens I use with (Cross) cartridges.

Just superb pens.

You can thank Namiki for that nice cross solo nib! If you get a chance, try a Namiki Bamboo. The nib is even better than the Solo nib, and that is saying a lot. The Solo surely is one amazing pen. Even the XF is totally smooth. j

Boy I'll agree with that comment on the xf! I've been using my dark green Solo for a couple of weeks now and am amazed at the writing quality and build quality. BTW, mine came with a Cross-branded converter.

Boy I'll agree with that comment on the xf! I've been using my dark green Solo for a couple of weeks now and am amazed at the writing quality and build quality. BTW, mine came with a Cross-branded converter.

Could you look on pendemonium's site and tell me if your converter is either one of the ones they sale?

http://www.pendemonium.com/

A.T. Cross Ink Converters

CRO-8030 Cross converter, screw in style for Century II and ATX $4

CRO-8930 Cross converter, push in style for Townsend $4

Thanks,

James

A very good source on this forum, a person who works with Cross, sent me an email to confirm that the Solo uses the push-in style converter (the green one).

So, maybe the leak I had was due to a faulty converter.

Time to buy another green Cross converter...!!!!!

A very good source on this forum, a person who works with Cross, sent me an email to confirm that the Solo uses the push-in style converter (the green one).

So, maybe the leak I had was due to a faulty converter.

Time to buy another green Cross converter...!!!!!

I just got the green push in converter and yes it does fit and does work perfectly. I am really enjoying this pen, now even more since I don't have to use cartridges. :)