The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yaki

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 14:02

Hello,

Today I offer samples of the Pilot iroshizuku yu-yake ink on Rhodia paper.

Posted Image

The main page is broken into four parts, as divided by '_' marks on the left-most edge:
  • Top: Written with a stock Pelikan M200 series g-p steel nib in M width. Row height is 8mm., which is common and suits my normal hand when writing with an M nib.
  • Second from top: Written with a Pelikan M200 series g-p steel nib ground to a 1.0mm width Cursive Italic shape by the Binder outfit. Row height is 8mm.
  • Third from top: Same nib as 'Second from top', but row height increased to 9mm., which I typically use for my wider nibs.
  • Bottom: Same pen and nib as Top, but with the Visconti 'Bordeaux' for relative colour comparison.
As shown, yu-yake does very nicely without rare or exotic implements or materials.

The ink does seem to demand enough 'air to breathe'; and certainly deserves a far better hand than mine.

The ink is really rather wet; and one must be careful not to impose upon the good manners of the ink by mistreating it with overly wet writers and/or 'thirsty' papers.

I wonder if a mono-line nib is the best for this ink : there's so much going on what with the colour and the shading, does the addition of an nonuniform line width become distracting clutter? Hmm. I did show curiosity about a Fine Cursive Italic nib, and haven't even speculated about the use of flex nibs. Oh my!!
Posted Image
The shading is rather interesting. The sample shows that the ink, in my hand, has highly variable and complex shading. While I used a common pen & primary nib for this example, I do prefer a more rigid/stiff nib - which is suitable for the speed at which I write. (For this sample, the Ink Putti were seen to maintain three points of contact on the nib/feed, or hover. All came away with rather idiotic grins, so this yu-yake stuff must be a keeper, yes?)

ByeBye
S1

P.S.
Requisite Swab_Samples

EDIT - Clarity, consistency in errors & grammar. (I'm jet-lagged, so please - cut me a bit of slack - just this once.)

Edited by Sandy1, 24 May 2010 - 16:48.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sponsored Content

#2 sfs6205

sfs6205

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 14:55

Thank you for a very informative review. I am just beginning to use Iroshizuku inks and will ad the Yu-yaki based on your review.
"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

#3 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 15:13

Sandy, I think I agree with you. I've got Yu-Yake in a CI nib right now, but I much prefer it in a round nib. i get much better shading that way.
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#4 Triplet Mom

Triplet Mom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 16:20

Excellent review, Sandy! Love the beautiful shading this ink produces. This is my favorite iroshizuku ink and it is always loaded in my Orange Marble Montegrappa Micra!

Warm regards,
Lynne
The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

Sponsored Content

|