The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

M800 Brown Tortoise Shell

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Bruno_Taut

Bruno_Taut

Searching, searching...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:47

Hi there,

just yesterday I had the opportunity to see --and put my hands on-- a M800 brown tortoise shell.

IMG_0974-VRed.jpg

Now I wonder how that came into existence. PJohnP on this post speaks of it as being commissioned by some Spanish vendors, and other sources speak of 1987 as the release year.

Unfortunately PJohnP does not accept private messages and I cannot contact him.

Could anyone provide more information on the matter? I am particularly interested in knowing the name of any of the vendors behind the initiative.

Cheers,

Iosepus

Edited by Iosepus, 24 May 2010 - 10:24.

Bruno_Taut

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno_Taut or Iosepus

Crónicas Estilográficas: http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 nvbrennan

nvbrennan

That's not me ... that's CVT!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:42

I can't provide more info.. but just the post title made me salivate

#3 mackthepen

mackthepen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:08

That is a beautiful pen - if only Pelikan would issue it again!

Andrew
Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

#4 mcnoodle

mcnoodle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:45

That is a beautiful pen - if only Pelikan would issue it again!

Andrew

+1 :puddle:

#5 yym163

yym163

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 16:32

I will beg them to make it in regular production. :notworthy1:

#6 seasterl

seasterl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 00:39

I'd love to wrap up my collection with a pen like that, esp. since my collection focus is the M800. I don't suppose the owner of that pen would want to auction it off.

#7 PJohnP

PJohnP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:00

Hi,

Actually I do get PMs but not e-mails.

The provenance of the M800 series Tortoises in today's market is better addressed by Rick Propas, who has handled and owns such a delightful FP, along with the matching pencil and ballpoint. Rick has posted photos of his set here, and they're indeed luscious looking pens !!!

If you're looking for the sourcing of the comment on the M800 going to the Spanish export market, see http://www.ruettinge...-souveraen.html (and there's also a tantalising note about the M600 series Tortoise pen - the model that I crave !). I've seen several very well-rounded discussions on the various Tortoise trim lines of pen over the last few years, and it has been speculated that there perhaps some hundreds made of the M800 series Tortoise, but in all truth, I've not seen a definitive inventory discussion, nor an attribution for specific stores in Spain that carried the M800 Tortoise.

What's very clear, however, is that the M800 Tortoise commands a premium price in today's marketplace.

John P.

#8 Bruno_Taut

Bruno_Taut

Searching, searching...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:50

Thanks, John P,

I will continue my search... However, in that link, the information about this pen is even more scarce than what you offer: M800, (barrel) brown striped/tortoise, (cap)dark brown, for the Spanish market only. No mention --at least, I cannot see it-- to Spanish vendors or the like.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Iosepus
Bruno_Taut

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno_Taut or Iosepus

Crónicas Estilográficas: http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/

#9 PJohnP

PJohnP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:07

No mention --at least, I cannot see it-- to Spanish vendors or the like.

There's very little specific information available about where in the Spanish market the pen was made for, who sold by, etc. As I suggested, you might well try sending a message to Rick Propas, who is one of the more knowledgeable people with respect to Pelikans.

John P.

#10 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 14:08

Basically, you folks have pretty much covered the ground with regard to this topic.

Very little is known.

Based only on the slimmest of inferential evidence I do not buy the Spanish market theory, simply because I have also heard stories of these pens having been sold out at discount prices in the company store sometime in the '90s.

My assumption is that the company made some unknown number, they failed to sell and they won't do it again.

But, again, I am working from a purely inferential basis.

For the record, Jürgen Dittmer, the Pelikan archivist, supports the Spanish theory, in person and in the book.

But I just don't buy it and I can't even say why, except that it does not seem logical. If the pens were sold successfully in Spain, and if they now are cult objects, then the company would make more. On the other hand if they took a bath on them (as they have with other tortoise models) then they would not.

No mention --at least, I cannot see it-- to Spanish vendors or the like.

There's very little specific information available about where in the Spanish market the pen was made for, who sold by, etc. As I suggested, you might well try sending a message to Rick Propas, who is one of the more knowledgeable people with respect to Pelikans.

John P.

#11 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,596 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 20:16

Buy now, worry later.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#12 seasterl

seasterl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 23:01

Does Pelikan accept custom orders?

#13 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• 1,893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:53

The response I ALWAYS see on FPN is immediate desire whenever they see a rare appearance of this bird. Everyone seems to want one. I know I do! I wouldn't pay extreme dollars for such a pen but I would shell out full retail.

It's hard to imagine that a 3,000 pen LE tortoise M800 or M1000 run wouldn't sell out in a flash. They might sell that many just making the pen available on the Internet pen boards.

Conway Stewart "get's" the limited edition thing to a fault. They make the fancy, silver, expensive pens but also special color runs of their traditional line. It seems that Pelikan makes the premium priced "fancy" limited editions but rarely does the special colors.

#14 Ausrutscher der Feder

Ausrutscher der Feder

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:53

Nice! I agree, I would buy a new one at full retail.

#15 seasterl

seasterl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:09

Why doesn't FPN approach Pelikan with a request? I'm sure dealers will place big orders, too.

#16 JBat

JBat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 18:10

Why doesn't FPN approach Pelikan with a request? I'm sure dealers will place big orders, too.

Yes, why don't they. Count me in if they do. :thumbup:
John

Fountain pen lover

#17 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• 1,893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 18:27

A year ago there was a thread about a special edition Fountain Pen Network pen. What better pen for this than a Tortoise Shell M800?

#18 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,813 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 20:14

Wow! That's the Peli of my dreams Posted Image I own a M800 Blue Striated, but that is terrific!

#19 Guest_Pjay_*

Guest_Pjay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 23:13

I'd buy a couple of those without blinking...
Yum

#20 Basset

Basset

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 21:55

I'd also snap one up. I do wonder how I would feel about the pen down the road, though. For a couple of years I really coveted the Blue Ocean, then managed to snap one up from Rick Propas. I must admit I haven't used it in perhaps 2 years . . .

Sponsored Content

|