Replaceable Sheaffer Nibs?

Black Sparrow

Hey, I'm looking at getting a Sheaffer pen, but I'm not seeing anywhere I can get different nibs for them. Can I get separate nibs apart from the pens? I have a friend that has a Sheaffer, but doesn't have the nib they want on it. I'm looking for a fine flexy nib for nice wide down strokes, and fine lines. Thanks for any help!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Sparrow

• ANM

• bogiesan

• watch_art

you'd probably have to get a 'parts' pen, rob the nib and put it in your fav pen yourself. you know, take out the feed and stab it back into your other section and all that. tons o fun.

Sheaffer nibs aren't interchangeable in the way Esterbrooks are. While Sheaffer flexible nibs do exist, they are the exception to the rule. You'd be much more likely to find a vintage pen with a flexible nib in an Eversharp or Waterman. Even then it isn't guaranteed that the pen you pick will have one. Anyone who has a flexible Sheaffer and knows what it is, is going to ask a premium for it.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Hi,

I can only think of two Sheaffer pens that come close:

1. The 'No Nonsense', which allows the user to replace the section (nib+feed) without special tools / techniques. I've only seem F & M uni-line nibs; and the F, M & B calligraphy nibs. Perhaps XF & B uni-line nibs are also available, but I haven't seen them.
  2. The 'Prelude', also allows the user to swap-out the section. I have F, M, B & Stub nibs. Not sure if XF nibs are available.

I've always been a fan of the Sheaffer nibs, from their sub-$5 cartridge pens to their luxe models - old and new.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sandy1 is absolutely correct. I completely forgot about No Nonsense and Calligraphy pens from Sheaffer and alse their Cartridge or School Pens have interchangeable nibs too.

I'm not sure what 'kind' of Sheaffer it is...It's just one of the cheap calligraphy pens you get in a $20 kit. It has an F nib if that makes any difference.

I've been looking on the Sheaffer web site at the Agio fountain pen. Can you write with that getting the wide down strokes and thin lines that I'm looking for? Or do I have to get a 'calligraphy' pen for that? Would I be able to change (or order) specific fine (flexy?) nibs? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just new to the world of pens :P I'd just really like to get a nice pen to write my cursive with a finer look than your average ball point gives me! Thanks for all your help!

I'm not sure what 'kind' of Sheaffer it is...It's just one of the cheap calligraphy pens you get in a $20 kit. It has an F nib if that makes any difference. I've been looking on the Sheaffer web site at the Agio fountain pen. Can you write with that getting the wide down strokes and thin lines that I'm looking for? Or do I have to get a 'calligraphy' pen for that? Would I be able to change (or order) specific fine (flexy?) nibs? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just new to the world of pens :P I'd just really like to get a nice pen to write my cursive with a finer look than your average ball point gives me! Thanks for all your help!

The Agio qualifies as an entry level fountain pen designed for everyday writing, not decorative script or calligraphy.

Look around for older Sheaffers like the No Nonsense series that have italic and broad italic nibs. There is also a Sheaffer two-line italic or "music" nib that I've never used myself. The two No Nonsense italic nibs I have are far superior to the medium and broad nibs currently supplied with calligraphy sets from Sheaffer. If you get an italic nibbed pen or two, be sure to stock up on cartridges; you'll burn through them. These things lay down a serious volume of ink. Also download some PDFs of calligraphy practice sheets or buy a couple of tablets at an art supply shop.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/forsale3/NN_black_musicnib4.jpg

You might find No Nonsense italic nibs in "new old stock" (NOS) from Teri at Peyton Street Antiques. You will find Teri's posts in the For Sale forum, you can buy with confidence, the shop is highly regarded around here.

http://stores.ebay.com/Peyton-Street-Antiques

david boise ID

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Thanks for the advise! I might want to do some calligraphy later on, but right now, I'm just looking to make my everyday writing look a little classier. I use Spencerian cursive for my letter writing etc., and am hoping to make it look a little more scripty. Maybe just an italic nib would do that...I'm not sure. I guess thats what I'm asking....what's a good pen to make my every day writing more than just straight lines? I definitely like a fine nib for whatever I do. Thanks again!

Oh, I just looked up the No Nonsense series...that's the one my friend has. It has the italic F (fine?) nib. After writing w/ it, I'd like something a little finer.

Ok, after doing some more research, how does the Lamy Joy, or Lamy Safari work with a fine nib compared to the Sheaffer No Nonsense? I'd love to just be able to try each of these on paper and see the difference my self, but that's just not possible :( I would like to go for the look of a nice fountain pen with the writing of a calligraphy pen...too much to ask?

this is all personal, but i really like the lamy better than the sheaffer NN, but not by much. they're both really nice pens. the sheaffers are very wet from my own experience, and very smooth. great pens. i'd go for the older ones though if you can find them, they don't feel as cheap. the rubber grips on the sections slip around and can wear off after lots of use. they make the pen feel cheaper. and the caps on the older ones are screw on instead of snap on, but sometimes i prefer snap on... like i said, it's all personal.

and another thing to consider, the section on the lamy is shaped weird, but the nibs are super easy to change out.

Thanks for the advise! I might want to do some calligraphy later on, but right now, I'm just looking to make my everyday writing look a little classier. I use Spencerian cursive for my letter writing etc., and am hoping to make it look a little more scripty. Maybe just an italic nib would do that...I'm not sure. I guess thats what I'm asking....what's a good pen to make my every day writing more than just straight lines? I definitely like a fine nib for whatever I do. Thanks again!

Oh, I thought you had the calligraphy pen set because that's what you wanted to do.

See the forum folder on penmanship and search for some terms. We've been over the "how to improve one's handwriting" topic many times around here. There are a few good books and many hours of practice ahead of you. Period.

Finding the right pen (weight of the barrel, closure system, nib, grip, material and finish) is totally personal. And expensive. Unless you are blessed with a well-stocked pen shop in your town, you can only hope to find friends and ask how they like their pens. Don't ask to use their writing instruments; if they offer, fine.

Writing with a fountain pen, by itself, is meaningless--but way cool. To improve or enhance your hand, you've got to unlearn your hand, learn how to write with your arm, and unlearn what the nuns inflicted upon you.

david boise ID

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I'm not sure what 'kind' of Sheaffer it is...It's just one of the cheap calligraphy pens you get in a $20 kit. It has an F nib if that makes any difference. I've been looking on the Sheaffer web site at the Agio fountain pen. Can you write with that getting the wide down strokes and thin lines that I'm looking for? Or do I have to get a 'calligraphy' pen for that? Would I be able to change (or order) specific fine (flexy?) nibs? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm just new to the world of pens :P I'd just really like to get a nice pen to write my cursive with a finer look than your average ball point gives me! Thanks for all your help!

The Agio qualifies as an entry level fountain pen designed for everyday writing, not decorative script or calligraphy.

Look around for older Sheaffers like the No Nonsense series that have italic and broad italic nibs. There is also a Sheaffer two-line italic or "music" nib that I've never used myself. The two No Nonsense italic nibs I have are far superior to the medium and broad nibs currently supplied with calligraphy sets from Sheaffer. If you get an italic nibbed pen or two, be sure to stock up on cartridges; you'll burn through them. These things lay down a serious volume of ink. Also download some PDFs of calligraphy practice sheets or buy a couple of tablets at an art supply shop.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/forsale3/NN_black_musicnib4.jpg

You might find No Nonsense italic nibs in "new old stock" (NOS) from Teri at Peyton Street Antiques. You will find Teri's posts in the For Sale forum, you can buy with confidence, the shop is highly regarded around here.

http://stores.ebay.com/Peyton-Street-Antiques

david boise ID

That isn't a music nib. It is called a shadow nib. I makes letters with a "shadow" line beside it.

Go here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/155763-cursive-italic-wow-vs-uni-line-ho-hum/

and scroll down to An Irish Blessing to see what kind of line it makes

Edited by ANM

Hi,

1. The 'No Nonsense', which allows the user to replace the section (nib+feed) without special tools / techniques. I've only seem F & M uni-line nibs; and the F, M & B calligraphy nibs. Perhaps XF & B uni-line nibs are also available, but I haven't seen them.
  2. The 'Prelude', also allows the user to swap-out the section. I have F, M, B & Stub nibs. Not sure if XF nibs are available.

I've always been a fan of the Sheaffer nibs, from their sub-$5 cartridge pens to their luxe models - old and new.

Bye,

S1

I'd say the Snorkel at least comes close. I'm able to swap out nib units on mine. Of course, they are all F or M, so there's not much point...

Sheaffer nibs aren't interchangeable in the way Esterbrooks are. While Sheaffer flexible nibs do exist, they are the exception to the rule. You'd be much more likely to find a vintage pen with a flexible nib in an Eversharp or Waterman. Even then it isn't guaranteed that the pen you pick will have one. Anyone who has a flexible Sheaffer and knows what it is, is going to ask a premium for it.

And don't forget the vintage Fineline series - they have interchangeable nibs very much like the Esterbrook - I have a few NOS Fineline nibs.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Ok, after doing some more research, how does the Lamy Joy, or Lamy Safari work with a fine nib compared to the Sheaffer No Nonsense? I'd love to just be able to try each of these on paper and see the difference my self, but that's just not possible :( I would like to go for the look of a nice fountain pen with the writing of a calligraphy pen...too much to ask?

For what you've described, the Lamy Safari or Al-Star with the narrowest of the italic nibs might be a good choice for you. If you want to play a bit before spending that much, hit a Target store and grab a Pilot Plumix for about $7.00 and you'll have a very smooth italic pen to practice with. The nib is ostensibly a medium, but being Japanese is narrower than an American or European medium. Note that Target doesn't carry cartridges for the pen, but you can order them several places on-line, or refill the one that it comes with with bottled ink.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• 4 years later...

Hi,

• The 'No Nonsense', which allows the user to replace the section (nib+feed) without special tools / techniques. I've only seem F & M uni-line nibs; and the F, M & B calligraphy nibs. Perhaps XF & B uni-line nibs are also available, but I haven't seen them.
  • The 'Prelude', also allows the user to swap-out the section. I have F, M, B & Stub nibs. Not sure if XF nibs are available.

Bye,

S1

Hey, brilliant, S1. Any idea where (in the States for the moment, so there, if possible) one can score some reasonably-priced swap-out Prelude sections in fine & stub (italic 1.1 or finer, if that's an option)?

Mange takk,

-INK

• 2 years later...

any advice please on nibs (Broad, not necessarily Sheaffer's or whole feed/section) that can replace a Sheaffer Prelude's?

thank you

The nicest Sheaffer italic I have is in a Sheaffer Cadet pen, which does have interchangeable nibs like Esterbrooks. The S1 stub is a cursive italic, and I like it better than the italic nibs in my No Nonsense pens. Pen Shop of Memphis.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.