The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Parallel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:44

At the LA pen show in February, lost amongst my haul of pens, I acquired a Pilot Parallel. It was Sunday, the last day of the show, and I was slumming. I had already spent a great deal of money so I was just taking in the atmosphere of the general public day and noting the number of dealers who showed up only for Sunday. Amongst them was Ward and Linea of Atelier Gargoyle who were selling the Pilot Parallels. After trying out the pen, I had to have one. Eh. What's one more pen?

Posted Image

Posted Image

What is a Pilot Parallel you ask? Well, it is an inexpensive calligraphy pen that comes in four sizes of italic 'nib'. The 'nib' really is not a nib but rather two parallel plates where the ink flows between the two closely spaced plates. Thus this pen is called the parallel. Ward Dunham of Atelier Gargoyle calls the Pilot Parallel the first innovation in fountain pens in decades. I would have to agree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pen is made from very cheap plastic similar to what one would find of cheap $1 rollerballs. The pen body is extra long and has a brightly colored cap. The color of the cap corresponds to the width of the nib. The Parallel comes in four sizes, 1.5 mm, 2.4 mm, 3.8 mm, and 6.0 mm. The pen barrel unscrews and one finds a Pilot cartridge and normal Pilot feed. The cartridges are the same size as standard Pilot cartrdges but it is not clear whether the ink is the same. The ink of the Parallel is designed to mix freely. One can take one Parallel with one color ink and touch it to the nib plate of another with a different color ink. The resulting writing will have variable shading between the two colors. Very cool. You can do very creative things with this pen. Someone has even written a book on how to use the Pilot Parallel artistically (Linda Broadbent, Parallel Pen Wizardry). The pen comes with two ink cartridges, converter for flushing the pen, and a plastic tool to clean the plates.

Posted Image

Basically the pen handles like an italic dip pen nib but doesn't run out of ink. It is very easy to use. Even a beginner can get very nice line variation. It's almost foolproof. That's all there really is to it. With a bit of practice, it is easy to do italic lettering. The corner of the plate can be used to write like an extra fine nib. You are limited by your imagination on how you use this pen.

This pen is highly revolutionary and a lot of fun to use. It is very inexpensive, going for about $11.50 and a good way to learn italic script. You can just concentrate on the lettering without having to dip into ink. Go and buy one now I say.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Sponsored Content

#2 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:53

Gotta agree! I have 2, 1.5mm and 2.4. I use them to practice Calligraphic scrips and occasionally just doodle! The ink claims to be special. It's cheap enough that buying the carts is no big deal so I don't worry about it!

Yes, get one to try out I got mine for $10 each at a local "Art Store" :thumbup:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#3 markc

markc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:59

I just bought a set from Atelier Gargoyle last weekend at the Book Fair.. They are AMAZING! :)

The 6mm pen puts out a nice thick wet line and at full speed..

I think jetpens sells them for about $11 each.
Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.
-Carl Sagan
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Inky Fingers

Inky Fingers

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:18

Did you know that if your touch the tip with another one filled with a different colour, you can get 2 colours in your writing? Or touch just the edge of the nib and you'll get 2-tone writing? Great fun!

#5 willprice94

willprice94

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:30

Pelikan/Rotring graphos have a line of nibs like this, they date back to 1938 i believe, i would assume they predate this. I use them for calligraphy as well. A damn sight more messy though!

Edited by willprice94, 20 May 2010 - 10:38.

Inked and Using:
Reform 1745 - Noodlers Black
Reform 1745 - Diamine Med. Blue
Reform P120 - Diamine Teal
Lamy Safari - Noodlers Black
Lots of Rotring Art Pens for Calligraphy - Diamine inks

#6 drmom777

drmom777

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:19

I got a couple and use them with noodler's highlighter ink for text highlighting. They work great, and were only $850 on amazon.com, with free shipping because I have amazon prime.

I am using the converter to hold the ink. It works fine, but I wish it held more ink.

#7 79spitfire

79spitfire

• Member - Gold

• 5,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:54

I got a couple and use them with noodler's highlighter ink for text highlighting. They work great, and were only $850 on amazon.com, with free shipping because I have amazon prime.

I am using the converter to hold the ink. It works fine, but I wish it held more ink.

(!) I hope you got free shipping!!

:roflmho:

#8 SueEllen

SueEllen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 13:02

Pilot's Parallel Pen easily allows eye-dropper filling. I fill the barrel with Noodler's Bulletproof Black-- I swear it can write forever on a barrel-full. The cap screws on tight (takes five or so turns to cap the pen) so the ink doesn't dry in the pen.

#9 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 16:19

Interesting review, I have a number of calligraphy pens but this certainly is different, might just get one.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#10 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 17:19

I had some issues using the "converter" - it ended up leaking. Perhaps it got rattled around or something.

The Parallel's cool, though I wouldn't mind one more size under 1.5mm - maybe 1.0 or 1.1mm.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#11 drmom777

drmom777

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 17:35

(!) I hope you got free shipping!!

:roflmho:

Look what happens when you forget a decimal!

#12 lewtwo

lewtwo

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:28

The Parallel's cool, though I wouldn't mind one more size under 1.5mm - maybe 1.0 or 1.1mm.

I read in another post where the an individual was regrinding the 1.5 down to .6~.7 width.
"... The only problem I have with them is that the narrowest nib width -- 1.1mm -- is much too wide for my Practical everyday Italic handwriting (notes, correspondence, memoranda, etc.) and bookhand writing (writing out books by hand) and I therefor have to grind them down to .7/.8mm widths. ..."

http://www.fountainp...otring-art-pen/

#13 79spitfire

79spitfire

• Member - Gold

• 5,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:00

I had some issues using the "converter" - it ended up leaking. Perhaps it got rattled around or something.

The instructions claim the converter is for cleaning only, I'll bet that's why.

Sponsored Content

|