• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• troglokev

• Ed333

• El Mocho

• carroll

Nice review, lovely photo and very nice writing!

Thank you for posting this.

Carl

Edited by carlc

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Wow, I didn't realize how gorgeous those striated Sheaffers were until I saw your up close picture. I may just have to get me one of those. . .

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

Great review and photographs, thanks, a fine looking pen.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

lovely review!

I love sections that match the barrel. I wish all pens had that, I don't care about staining.

how does it match? i see brown on the barrel, but not on the section.

could it be that someone tried and used a close, but not exact, striated section?

very nice pen and nice writing :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sigh! Love the Triumph style nibs, and really like matching the pen to the ink.

lovely review!

I love sections that match the barrel. I wish all pens had that, I don't care about staining.

how does it match? i see brown on the barrel, but not on the section.

could it be that someone tried and used a close, but not exact, striated section?

I think the brown on the barrel is actually ambering. I have a few striated Vac-Fil Sheaffers and they have barrels with clear striations running the lengths of the barrel so you can see the ink level exactly. The sections are opaque, probably made from the same plastic the Non-Vac-Fil striated ones use.

(There must have been some of this plastic lying around in the factory, too. I have a lever-filled Crest with a section that unscrews. It has striations on the section, but they are only visible when you have the thing unscrewed and the sac off.)

Nice pen, Troglokev. Your new photos answered a question of mine. I have a Sovereign II that's very close to this one, but the it has the thin "wire" cap band.

Edited by El Mocho

Congrats!!! I've bought 2 Sheaffers from Gerry and his FPs are wonderful! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I just acquired one like this, said to be a Valiant II. The cap band is identical to yours, wide with two narrow double incised rings, one at each end, but mine has a black forend/grip piece, not a continuation of the green striation like yours. I notice a white dot on the butt end of the pen, in addition to the white dot just above the clip, and I do not know if this has any model or dating significance.

What would the date of manufacture range be for a pen like this?

I am really enjoying using mine.

thanks, Ed

Hi Ed333. I'll let others speak to the issue of dating as it relates to the coloration of the gripping section, as I don't remember the nitty gritty.

However, I'll add here what I did on the other thread: The second dot on the blind cap shouldn't be there. It wasn't with the cap when the pen was originally manufactured. Sheaffer didn't produce any pens (this era or otherwise) with more than 1 white dot.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Hi Ed333. <snip>... The second dot on the blind cap shouldn't be there. It wasn't with the cap when the pen was originally manufactured. Sheaffer didn't produce any pens (this era or otherwise) with more than 1 white dot.

Best Regards, greg

I don't care.... :) It looks good, feels good, and writes great. Further, as a two dot Marine Green striated Valiant II, it may well be unique, at least for now.... :)

Seriously, having started out with a year by year 30s-40s Parker collection, branching out to some unmentionable higher end experiments, being waylaid by a few Skylines, Moores and others of that ilk, I keep coming back to my Sheaffers. I just think they cannot be beat for consistent good writing qualities and (so far) dependability. I think they are great values.

It's interesting how an old thread can be of use, which isn't the case in other forums. It's a very interesting design, although in my eyes it goes like this: hate how that nib looks, love the section, like the barrel... What's wrong with that clip?? But to each our own. It's like four designers made it... Or one with very different personalities.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

What a stunner.. I love the pen..

The review.. Short and simple..

I wish I could lay my hands on one of these someday

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter