• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnny Appleseed

• OldGriz

• JimStrutton

• Oxonian

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Griz,

The high bidder is from UK, there must be more money about over here than I thought but even at that sort of price its better value than the SE was.

Perhaps the seller saw an exceptioal one go for over a $1000.00 in an auction and is hoping for something about the same and doesn't like taking risks.

This one is unrestored and perhaps not even a runner and not a pristine example, having the almost obligatory dings in the cap, it must be the silly season. :doh:

Any bets on how high this one will go, care to run a book on the winning bid? B)

Watching with interest and disbelief, John

Hmm,

I have had some corespondence with the guy in Preston who is bidding and he seems to know his stuff, so I reckon he is buying that to sell on. As to the reserve? $650 perhaps?

I think that one sold in London for about £1,200 last year at the pen show, but way too much for me.

The pound is still very strong against the $ so that helps us here, but too rich for me. Even though I would love to have an Empire Cap DJ "51" just so I could post a weekly picture of it for Old Griz :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Jim :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Right now with a bit over 1 hour 30 minutes to go, it's at $1,100!!! :doh:

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Wow - and I just picked up one of those at a yard sale for $30.00.

John

(ducking). . .

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

John

(ducking). . .

You do realize that if Jim does not get you I WILL..... <_< <_< <_<

Auction ended at $1600.00

Must be real nice to have that kind of money to spend on a pen....

Well I guess how crazy each of us is could be measured by how many pens we've bought for $1600.

For me it would be 15 or so or maybe a few less, but for others it might be double that, or half that.

I'd agree that there probably wouldn't be too many people for whom the magic number would be single digit.

I can't imagine wanting to spend what it takes to buy a new Ferrari, even if I had the loot (which I don't). Guess it might be the same for the Parker 51.

Tell, me oh gurus of the 51, was this the holy grail pen or something? Or just a nice rare one in great condition?

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

(Johnny Appleseed @ Sep 5 2006, 03:52 PM)

John

(ducking). . . 

You do realize that if Jim does not get you I WILL.....

I knew that would get you. :lol:

Alas, I have not actually been that lucky. :(

But the Mustard DJ 51 Vacumatic with the GF Lined cap that someone gave me is true. ;)

John

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Tell, me oh gurus of the 51, was this the holy grail pen or something? Or just a nice rare one in great condition?

I think the fact that it has a solid 14k gold cap, rather than a 14K gold-filled cap, is what makes it rare and valuable.

John

- Dr Suess

I love "51"s but would not consider paying that much for a pen.

Although ... :blush:

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

The first thought that crossed my mind, since he is in the business, is that he may have had the pen presold at a reasonably higher price from his final bid. (Think in terms of "dot com" money.)

On his web site I find his VAKPEN "51" pens rather attractive, especially his "Texas Pearl Aero Fill #1."

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

Well I guess how crazy each of us is could be measured by how many pens we've bought for $1600.

Most of my friends, family, acquaintances, etc. would put the "crazy" pen price at $16 and not $1600.

My most expensive pen was $325. I thought that was pretty crazy at the time...

Most of my friends, family, acquaintances, etc. would put the "crazy" pen price at $16 and not $1600.

My most expensive pen was $325. I thought that was pretty crazy at the time...

Good to see such bidder in the seller/shop views. Show my wife and she claimed that it is crazy price But Now she know how hard my collections come about and the value.......... Still I would give a miss for that, Reason being No money...... :doh:

$1600 :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What am I missing? :unsure:

No sorry folks even if I could afford it I would not pay that much for a pen, my limit is around the £150/$250 mark and I would have to be pushed to really spend that much.

OK so this just proves that I am not a collector, just a humble user me :blush: :blush:

Looking at my desk today just proves it, three pens, Two "51"s one from parts on fleabay that cost around £20 including having Kevin fix up the cap. The other was part of a fleabay bundle that cost me £37. Finally I am still using the 65 Flighter I got a while back for £21.78.

So this probably proves that I am a cheapskate :blush: :blush:

Hey they all work so do I care? :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Jim :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Hi Jim

All I can say is as long as you enjoy your pens whether its 3 or 300 and is happy with what you have then thats all that matter.

Respect to all