Edison Pearl - 0.5mm cursive italic Bulb FIller

tanalasta

First Impressions (9)

Edison Pens and Brian have had consistently positive reviews on the forums of late. And for very good reason. An extensive range of custom made pens are available on his website, with a choice of almost any material or colour from ebonite, resin to celluloid.

Eventually, it came down to a decision between the Pearl and the Morgan. After extensively reading the reviews on FPN, the Edison webpage and Flikr albums, I decided upon the Pearl which was inspired by the Nakaya piccolo shaped models.

I decided upon rhodium trim as it looks less ostentatious clipped to a work shirt. And although I initially had my eye on the breathtakingly gorgeous brown tortoiseshell, in the end the more modern green mottled celluloid from American Art Plastics was more for me.

I also managed to watch this pen being made via Ustream and discuss with Brian things as he went along. There are pictures which I posted here: http://www.fountainp...born-a-preview/

Appearance (9)

Brian said the material has to be seen to be appreciated and he was right.

An almost dark black celluloid with very subtle varieagated green swirls and a sprinkling of silver powder. Add to that a polished ink barrel and gold duotone nib and we have a classy unique pen.

Sleek yet modern. The photos speak for themselves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/wr-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/wr4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/wr5-1.jpg

Design/Size/Weight (9)

The measurements for the Pearl are available on the Edison website. It is a full sized pen.

Although my favourite writer is an Aurora Optima, I love the heft and length of the MontBlanc LeGrand 146.

So I decided that I would write with this pen unposted and wanted a length barrel to nib tip of approximately 13cm. Brian is able to accomodate requests in terms of pen length, posted or unposted as well as whether you want a straight or narrow section. He also gave me feedback as to whether a request was appropriate. The one caveat is that the Pearl does not post securely and there is only so much one can taper the blind end without altering the sleek lines of the pen. I would recommend not posting the pen to avoid placing unnecessary stress to the cap.

It is a light pen, made of a celluloid body and cap with a acrylic transparent barrel which allows for the colour of my favourite Iroshizuku ink to really shine through.

More on the bulb filler later, but the ink capacity is huge. I would estimate 2mL. And yes, it did fill (upside down) using a Visconti Travel Inkpot, though it felt a bit funny milking the rubber bulb with ink in it!

Nib (7.5)

I know Brian has written an article on steel vs gold nibs. Seeing I was already paying for a top tier pen, I thought I would want a gold nib in a pen of this calibre.

I took one of his last two duotoned 18k nibs and asked for it to be reground to a cursive italic 0.5mm. Smooth yet with a bit of tooth typical of a cursive italic. Brian sent me a writing sample photo before shipping the pen which says all you need to know about the nib. You can ask for anything you want for, although customisation is a little extra and the CI cost me an extra $45US on top of the gold nib.

The nib is quite stiff, with just a hint of tooth but otherwise quite smooth with nice line variation. The feed was ever so slightly misaligned but did not affect the moderate flow (as requested) at all nor the nib function and as such, no complaints. It writes broader than my Sailor 'fine' and about equivalent to an Aurora fine or Western XF.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/writing_sample_2.jpg

Filling System (9)

I went for the bulb filler for the capacious ink capacity and the option of a translucent barrel which adds a pragmatic uniqueness to the pen. This was 100US extra and Brian can do single, double ink windows or the translucent barrel or no ink window at all.

There is a youtube video of the bulb filler on the Edison webpage.

You simply dunk the nib into the ink. One could think Iroshizuku ink bottles were designed for the Edison. Press the bulb, wait for ink to fill and then repeat until full. It is slower than a piston but fun to watch and works well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/wr3-1.jpg

Cost and Value (8)

For the cost of the pen, you get personalised service and a top tier customised pen to your liking. The options do add significantly to the cost but you do get whatever you like. Celluloid, the gold nib, custom grinding and bulb filler all add up to the total. It is an individualised decision but for me, worth it. The only caveat is you do not get to hold and feel the pen prior to purchase, especially if you live on the other side of the globe. His service is impeccable and he offers to rebuff the pen at any stage in the future should you scratch it.

There is an option for extra nibs as they are interchageable. The steel nibs are only 12USD, gold about 100USD.

Brian did include a note to ask for anything he could improve upon and feedback. I would suggest polishing the inner rim of th cap and blind end to improve the overall finish. A spring loaded clip may be nice. But most of all, I would suggest in the bulb filler to polish the inside of the actual ink chamber similar to the Visconti Opera Master Demo. My ink chamber is quite roughly finished and there is a scratch that shows, even with some ink in the pen. However, I do like my new Edison enough not to want to return the pen by any means.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/wr2-1.jpg

Conclusion (9)

A beautiful bulb filler, custom made to my preferences. Modern celluloid and hand finished. A daily user for me and recommended for anybody else.

I have mine very happily inked with Iroshizuku ku-jaku and in my pocket. And mmm... I still occasionally sniff the celluloid. It's a wonderful pen. cloud9.gif

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MidnightBlue

• gmberg

• tanalasta

• ailleurs

I've got the AAP Purple Web version of this material... it is wonderful. Near impossible to photograph without professional equipment, but wonderful.

Great review. I hope you enjoy the pen!

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Excellent review and pictures, thanks, I love these Edison reviews and can't get enough of them. I think I'm closer to actually getting one of these soon.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Excellent review and pictures, thanks, I love these Edison reviews and can't get enough of them. I think I'm closer to actually getting one of these soon.

Ed, give in to that temptation! I met Brian and his wife at the Chicago pen show last weekend, and they were lovely to talk to. Both were extremely patient with my questions and graciously indulged my need to try every possible pen and nib combo they had on hand (at least it seemed like I tried all of them). The pens are so lovely, and they write well from what I saw. I can honestly say I'm like a little kid counting the days until Christmas right now, wondering how many more days before my Edison shows up. :embarrassed_smile:

read, write, grade essays, repeat

Updated with photos

Here are some photos I have taken of the Pearl. Beautiful pen and the celluloid looks and smells wonderful.

With the advice of Brian, I also polished the inside chamber with a cotton bud (the pen is quite easily unscrewed for cleaning) and the interior blemishes are less noticeable. May have a go with some micromesh attached to a cotton bud at some point.

It's a wonderful writer and I'm highly satisfied.

Filled with Iroshizuku ku-jaku.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/Outdoor_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/Outdoor2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/outdoor_3.jpg

And a size comparison with the Homo Sapiens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/indoor_4.jpg

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

That is one gorgeous pen! :drool: It's even prettier than it originally looked.

Do you have a writing sample with the ku-jaku?

It is an absolutely beautiful pen. :puddle: I think I'm getting won over to the idea of a bulb filler...

<font size="1">Inked: Pelikan 400nn, Pilot VP, Pelikan M400, Pelikan M200, Pelikan 400, Pelikan M101n, Esterbrook SJ<br> | <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/27410410@N05/>Flickr</a> <br></font>

I'm drooling! :drool: Nice review!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

As requested - updated with writing samples -

On paper, the colours are slightly deeper and the Iroshizuku slightly darker with a hint of green than it appears on my Dell e6400 LED monitor. Scanned on a Canon LIDE90. Apologies for quality of my handwriting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Tanalasta/Fountain%20Pens/Writing_Sample_Comparison.jpg

Edited by tanalasta

Thanks for the writing sample. This is the second CI nib I can remember seeing from Edison Pens. I may end up having to order a second nib for mine once it gets here. Lovely handwriting as well, tanalasta!

I have the exact design as yours in "aqua" (greenish) hard rubber, and I love the heft and the nib.

The only downside of a bulb filler with a large capacity is that is is susceptible to flooding the feed when traveling by air.

Gerry

What!!!!!?????????...Flying with fountain pens........not a bad name for a band????!!!!!!

Though if flying with bulb-fillers, it would be one very messy band.

Flying With the Bulb Fillers.........That's a better name ...thanks. ......bands are always messy?!!!!

Thanks

Flying With the Bulb Fillers.........That's a better name ...thanks. ......bands are always messy?!!!!

Thanks

Flying Burrito Brothers Bulb Fillers..

Damn it! I knew that name was too good to have not been used????!!!! How about..............the Beatles.........nah.........not catchy enough

Thanks

I have an extended Pearl bulb filler in orange ebonite without an ink window. The bulb fill option is really nice and I recommend it. To me, it was worth the $100.

Conducting business with Brian is really a joy and that is the most compelling reason to get an Edison. Getting to pick exactly what you want, then interact with the designer/builder is a rare treat in a world dominated by relatively large and impersonal businesses.

Meanwhile, the pen writes exactly as I had asked.