Montblanc POA - Elizabeth I

Maine Vintner

I'm pleasantly surprised that someone reviewed a POA! Reviews of these pens are far and few between.

Thanks for the great review!

Thank you for reading my review. I am happy to do a few more. I think good guy has set the standard for MB LE reviews, IMHO.

...John

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maine Vintner

• Blade Runner

• googoo

• Thornton

Nice review. I just bought this pen today. being a bmw and mercedes family, i'm fine with the s-class reference ;o) This is a hefty, solidly built pen feeling. I'm glad I didn't see the 888 series, which I'd really like to see. I'm not sure if I could have pulled myself to buy the 888 version if I saw it...then again, I wasn't in the market to buy another pen and buying this one was an impulse purchase. My Poe FP and BP have been my favorites ( I think i prefer the BP as it feels more solid than the Poe FP) until now I think. I haven't dipped the elizabeth yet since i just bought it 10 minutes ago. still thinking about it...my precious.

i've been lusting after the prince regent and semiramas for a long time, but haven't been able to get myself to buy either.

Thank you very much for the review. I too am a collector of POA and WE Montblancs buying those that appeal to me. It has to look good before I even consider it! I have seen the pen in person but not held nor written with it and I am of the opinion your review was very fair and balanced.

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you that a pen first has to appeal to the user (like they say with food, "you eat first with your eyes"). Then the weight and feel take on a priority role for me. Finally, I have to enjoy writing with it. A pen that passes all three tests becomes an A-list pen in my book, for me pens like Hemingway, Schiller, and Wolfe make the list. Poe would be on that list when I own one.

...John

couldn't agree more. the ornamentation caught my eye, not too ornate and flashy like some of the other POA's, then i felt the heft and it felt good in the hand.

Nice review. I just bought this pen today. being a bmw and mercedes family, i'm fine with the s-class reference ;o) This is a hefty, solidly built pen feeling. I'm glad I didn't see the 888 series, which I'd really like to see. I'm not sure if I could have pulled myself to buy the 888 version if I saw it...then again, I wasn't in the market to buy another pen and buying this one was an impulse purchase. My Poe FP and BP have been my favorites ( I think i prefer the BP as it feels more solid than the Poe FP) until now I think. I haven't dipped the elizabeth yet since i just bought it 10 minutes ago. still thinking about it...my precious.

i've been lusting after the prince regent and semiramas for a long time, but haven't been able to get myself to buy either.

To be honest, I think the regular edition is much nicer than the 888 edition. The red finish on the 888 seems to clash with the rose gold and is unpleasant to my eye. The regular edition is more refined and quiet in its elegance. Just my two cents though.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

I really really love this pen! must have one =)

you can never get it wrong, because you can never get it done!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to the review I went out to get this pen. Great indeed to have and add to my collection. Must say the weight of handling it along with the writing just adds to the magnificence of the edition. To be honest and basically to my opinion I feel that it's much nicer than the 888 edition.

Beautiful pen! Absolutely beautiful!

Now, If I could find a review of the Pope Julius III pen!

trpofapprobal.png

Beautiful pen and review! :notworthy1:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Nice review and interesting pen, design seems appropriate.

I don't think she ever used a fountain pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a lovely pen, it looks like an Elizabethan gown!

Thank you for the in-depth review.

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

• 2 years later...

Having seen a great number of posts on the Montblanc forum about this pen with very polarized opinions, I felt compelled to write my first review here on FPN. So, here goes: I own a number of MB WEs and POAs, including the likes of Hemingway, Schiller, Dickens, Tate, Francois, and Oppenheim. I reference these to demonstrate the range of LEs in my collection in order to provide comparison/contrast for my new leading lady. She arrived via the Montblanc boutique in late April and I arranged her coronation (I.e., I picked her up) during my most recent visit into town.

Appearance & Design (1-10) - This is a "regal" pen in every sense of the word. Out of the box, one is first captivated by the grandeur of this pen. There is significant scroll work on the cap, center band, and end unit of the pen. This is complemented by a series of 5 dimpled rings, reminiscent of jewels in a crown, spaced along the length of the pen. "Video et Taceo" is inscribed around the center band. Situated above the otherwise simple clip is a raised seal in the form of a flower blossom. I will need to do my homework here but this is the first time that I recall seeing a raised design element above the clip.

The black lacquer body is beautiful in its own right, but almost understated by comparison to the brightwork. The clip is set off by a green stone overlaying a cross. A large Montblanc snow cap adorns the flat top. I do not find the pen to be ostentatious or overdone; rather it reflects the royalty of Elizabeth I rather precisely. The basic design of this pen is similar to Francois (which I rate a 5 on the Appearance scale). Overall this is a thing of beauty with all design elements working in harmony - I score it a 7 of 10 (personally I prefer simpler designs like Schiller or Hemingway).

Construction & Quality (1-10) - This is a heavy pen with solid build quality - think Mercedes S Class heft and solidity. The lacquer is flawless and the engraving on the pen barrel and bib are precise. As with all MB LEs, threads, clip, snow cap are all well engineered and provide the user with a sense of confidence. The piston action is smooth and predictable. Score this a 10 as there is nothing amiss on the quality front.

Weight & Dimensions (1-10) - As I noted above, this pen is heavy, with most of the weight located in the cap. Given the cap's weight I would not post the cap, even if you could. Interestingly, the cap does not post on this pen. You could force it (which I would not advise for aesthetic reasons) but the barrel appears to reject the cap, pushing back against its advance and repeatedly dislodging it with a loud "plop". In the hand it feels like Francois or Dickens. I score Elizabeth a 4 in this category as I like my writing partners a little more on the lithe side of the spectrum.

Nib & Performance (1-10) - No surprises here, classic MB POA nib. The broad 18k gold nib is wet and smooth, laying down a thick, consistent line that would make Beth proud. Befitting of this pen, I loaded her with MB black. For those who know and love MB nibs, you will not be disappointed - she gets a 10. I especially appreciated the fact that the dates of Elizabeth's 40 year reign are engraved on the nib along with the image of her crown.

Filling System & Maintenance (1-10) - Classic reliable MB POA piston filler. As noted in the quality section, smooth and precise with an easy loading action. I found this pen to fill swiftly and completely right out of the box and, although there is no ink window, I was able to confirm that the ink chamber fills nearly to capacity (Note: I have experienced some pens out of the box that seemed to fill to half or 2/3 capacity before "breaking in"). I prefer piston fillers that hold copious amounts of ink (as this one does) with windows (which it lacks) so my overall score here is 8.

Cost & Value (1-10) - Elizabeth I is a MB POA so we know it is overpriced (if you are not a MB fan) or a "must have" (if you are a collector - you know who you are). With that said, value is subjective. For me, this is a very well done, attractive pen that will see little use (too heavy) but I will be proud to show-off on occasion. Of the 6 POAs I own, I would rank Elizabeth mid-pack behind Julius, Tate, and Marquise de Pompadour and ahead of Max and Francois. Score it a 6.

Conclusion - Like all pens in general, and MB LEs in particular, whether you like this pen or not is a matter of personal taste. For me, I think the pen is strikingly beautiful with well thought out design elements that reflect the larger than life regal presence that was Queen Elizabeth I. Those who fear the pen is over-the-top from photos may be pleasantly surprised in person. All of the trim work and engraving are masterfully done and integrated into the whole. The pen is "large and in charge", preferred by some but not my cup of tea. I find most of the POAs to be too heavy and the metal barrels do not sit comfortably in my hand. While I appreciate Elizabeth from a design and consistency perspective, I do not see myself writing with her, which is a big part of my attraction to pens. Calculating my scores above, Elizabeth scores 45 of a possible 60, which factors out to an 7.5. My user score would be a 6.

I hope this review was helpful. Please feel free to post me with any follow up questions, feedback, or conflicting points of view. Thanks for reading.

...John

Hello Maine Vintner,

Thank you for this elaborate review. As you know the pics could have been better.

I only wish that I saw and read your review earlier. I read some reviews by other members about other limited edition items. I had the impression that Eli I got very little appreciation.

As I was interested in this FP, I considered purchasing it. And so I ordered it two days ago.

Now if I had known that the handholding is not terrific and you cannot post the cap, I might not have purchased it. It'll arrive in a few days time. I'm looking forward to handholding and writing with it myself. I hope my experience with it will differ from yours. I shall write a review with pics, perhaps you'll be interested in it.

You have a very respectful collection of MB's limited edition models. While reading your review I thought what are his thoughts about the J.P. Morgan, but then I read that you do not really like FPs with a metal barrel.

I'm looking forward, hopefully in the far future, to the PoA Queen Elizabeth II FP.

Thanks again.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 5 years later...

Nib & Performance (1-10) - No surprises here, classic MB POA nib. The broad 18k gold nib is wet and smooth, laying down a thick, consistent line that would make Beth proud. Befitting of this pen, I loaded her with MB black. For those who know and love MB nibs, you will not be disappointed - she gets a 10. I especially appreciated the fact that the dates of Elizabeth's 40 year reign are engraved on the nib along with the image of her crown.

~ Maine Vintner:

I've re-read this review several times, as this PoA interests me.

It's especially interesting that the dates of her reign are engraved on the nib.

That's a nice touch which I wouldn't have known were it not for this review.

A B nib, no less...that's truly nice.

Thank you for having prepared and posted this eight years ago.

Such clearly presented information retains its value over time.

Tom K.