26 replies to this topic

#21 ttakacs

ttakacs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 14:03

Time to snap up the remaining stocks of this ink, yes?

#22 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,596 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 14:50

Time to snap up the remaining stocks of this ink, yes?

Hi,

Well, as much as I really really like this ink, I haven't gone nuts to create a hoard. I use quite a few other BlBk inks, so a two-bottle cache seems enough to help me deal with the withdrawal process, and still have some on hand for those times when only Blue Night will do.

Also, I like to think that Cd'A will eventually introduce another BlBk ink into their product line under a different name. So perhaps what we're seeing is a clear-out of Blue Night to make room for its successor, but that is pure speculation.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#23 brownargus

brownargus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 21:53

I got a free bottle of the Blue Night packaged with my new Leman pen. I have to say it is my least favourite ink - it is neither blue nor black, just an insipid grey. Wish I could swap it for some Blue Sky which is very good - a really nice solid blue.
Favourite ten pens in my collection (in alpha order):
Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Cross Century Medallist II F; Kaweco Dia 2 M; Parker 51 Aerometric M; Parker Sonnet Black Laque F, Parker Duofold Senior F; Large Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium F; Waterman Carene Essential Gold 14Kt F

#24 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,596 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 22:37

I got a free bottle of the Blue Night packaged with my new Leman pen. I have to say it is my least favourite ink - it is neither blue nor black, just an insipid grey. Wish I could swap it for some Blue Sky which is very good - a really nice solid blue.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this ink - especially as there was a problem.

Some years ago a bad batch did enter the market, as mentioned above Post № 7

As ever, in the event of getting bad ink, I suggest contacting the Vendor & ink Co., to make them aware of the situation, seek compensation / replacement, and offer to send a sample to the ink Co. for analysis.

I too like Cd'A Sky Blue well enough, but it was so close to Sheaffer Skrip Blue and plain ol' Cd'A 'Blue', that Sky Blue wasn't replaced once that bottle ran dry.

Bye,
S1

____
See also:
  • Comparison - Cd'A 'Blue Sky' :: Sheaffer Skrip 'Blue'
    • http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/162417-comparison-caran-d-ache-blue-sky-sheaffer-skrip-blue/
  • Comparison - Cd'A 'Blue Sky' :: 'Blue'
    • http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/162857-comparison-caran-d-ache-blue-sky-caran-d-ache-blue/

#25 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,596 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 16:46

U P D A T E

It seems that Caran d'Ache does indeed plan to release a new set of inks to replace their 'Colors of the Earth' series.

New Ink Series

Bye,
S1

#26 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• 9,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 19:52

Thanks for the review. Again, a good indication -- IMO -- that CdA manages to offer a colour which is very subtle. As I see it, it is not simply any ol' blue-grey, not a grey-blue, not even a sky-blue or a blue-sky....
Too bad they're going to discontinue it. But I think that a lot of us will in the meantime still find a few spare tires (in your neck o' da woods 'tyre').

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#27 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:54

The newer of the two bottles seems more my direction.

The first sample shown seemed to me to be an ink struggling to become blue and not quite getting over a blue/graying hurdle, and the second was a blue.

Does any one know is this going to be a permanent change in tone or a grab bag between the two?

Just saw the news....discontinued.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 26 February 2013 - 17:32.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.