The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Burnham B48, stub nib

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 J-F-O

J-F-O

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2006 - 19:40

Here I am writting my first pen review, a short one. I've been wanting to do this for awhile and since I'm nursing my swollen Achilles Tendon and I can't walk this is a good time to do it. I also included some picture but I haven't learned how to post multiple pictures in one page. The other picures are below. Finally, english is a second language or me so I apologise for the errors is grammar , speling etc.

I recenty purchased a 1950's Burham B48 with a stub nib. cleaned it and changed the ink sac. This company was one of Conway stewarts competitors. It tended to focus on customers who didn't want gold nibs on their pens. Burnham mostly used stell nibs that screwed into the section. This makes changing nibs easy. Their plastics were very colorful and unique. This brand can form the basis for a nice useful collection.

The writing sample shows how the stub nib offers interesting line variations. Its relatively smooth but has no flex. If you look at the nib closely it will become vident that it wil never win a beauty contest. I wonder if customers in those days had the same impression.

Finally, I think that Burham is an under rated brand that would benefit from more interest. In my collection I have a high end Burham with a gold nib and rings. Probably to compete with Swan. Happy pen collecting.

Sponsored Content

#2 J-F-O

J-F-O

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2006 - 19:41

#3 J-F-O

J-F-O

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2006 - 19:42

#4 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2006 - 19:48

Don't sell yourself short! Your English is great, the mini-review well done, and the pen, while the nib may be an ugly-duckling, sure writes nicely.

Thanks for sharing and I hope whatever is bothering your heel heals nicely!

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#5 DRP

DRP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 20:06

GREAT REVIEW! Most informative about a manufacturer I didn't know existed until I read your review.

Please write more reviews!

#6 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2006 - 22:23

Very nice review!

That nib looks almost identical to some Osmiroid nibs I have that fit into Esterbrook sections.

Don
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#7 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:36

I find that pen beautiful, and the way it writes is surely very interesting. It might not win beauty contests, but it is sure to win over most pen lovers!
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#8 akiva

akiva

akiva

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:39

I have just come across this posting and must reply (a bit late!) I have a collection of around 600 burnham pens and mechanical pencils and never cease to wonder at the colours and patterns of these lovely pens. They range from the early red mottled hard rubber through the celluloid era on to the wonderful casein colours. For those interested Alan Charlton has put his work "The Burnhamography" on the net for all to enjoy.
The URL is www.pengrauncher.co.uk
Please enjoy

#9 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 14:02

Thanks for the listing Akiva.

#10 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:01

The Osmiroid nibs and Burnham B48 nibs are interchangeable, and are compatible on Esterbrook Series j pens too!

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

Sponsored Content

|