Parker 51 vs Parker 61

goodguy

61s in my experience are pretty robust. It's the 21 that is the problem child in the Parker family.

I love the 61s in my collection - not as many as my 51s, because I don't come across them that often. Did Parker make many fewer 61s than 51s, or - another thought - do people like the 61 colours better than they do the 51s, and so hang on to them? A mystery. But they are nice pens.

I wonder though whether Parker jumped the shark with the 61. The capillary filler that seemed useful, and actually isn't, at least if you want to flush the pen and use another ink. (And leaving an open pot of ink lying around for the filler to soak has always seemed to me potentially much, much, much messier than just squeeze-filling an aerometric, though maybe that's because I have cats.) The cute arrow that almost always wants to fall off.

Still, I love my 61s. Glad I have both 51 and 61 in the collection.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• MancFrank

• lyonlover

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been lucky enough to acquire a number of "51"s and 61s. The "51"s are essentially bullet-proof and I have found a couple that are ready to write after months of disuse. But I find I'm using the 61s almost exclusively. It might be their good looks (I am a shallow person) or it might be that their nibs are a nickel's worth smoother, but I find I are drawn to them more than the good old reliable "51".

I, too, use a Parker 61 almost daily - and more often than any other pen, even my all-around favourite, a Parker 51.

I use the Parker 61 more often partly because it's so damned handsome (black body; gold cap; little arrow), partly because it's particularly smooth, and partly because if I don't use it almost every day, it dries up :)

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

I, too, use a Parker 61 almost daily - and more often than any other pen, even my all-around favourite, a Parker 51.

I use the Parker 61 more often partly because it's so damned handsome (black body; gold cap; little arrow), partly because it's particularly smooth, and partly because if I don't use it almost every day, it dries up :)

Don't you think it is both amazing and frustrating that pens, that stay moist for one person indefinitely, dry up in a day for others? I have experienced this with different pens of different makes, and I don't get it. Like you though, I learn how a pen behaves, and if I want to continue to use it I do what it takes to keep it writing. I have a black 61 with rolled gold cap, and the medium nib seems to go a couple of days without drying up. Production variances, I suppose.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have several 61s both capilliary as well aerometric and all are good writers. But I, somehow, couldn't accept the idea of the 61 as an equally good pen as the 51. The arrow falling off and disappearing all of a sudden, the hood starting developing cracks and deforming. These are the things that put me off.

Notwithstanding, the 61 is a beautiful pen as well a very smooth writer. I really like the sleek and stylish design of the 61.

Khan M. Ilyas

I think the plastic possibly cracking is the only show stopper with the 61. I appreciate the arrow as my eye sight dims and it helps me center the nib to write. I admit that with 51s, in the night hours when I write down a medication taken and the time, I sometimes had to roll a 51 around to find the right centering for the nib. They are both great, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 2 weeks later...

My latest acquisition. A Parker 61. The 61 is, in my opinion, the nicest looking and most ergonomic of pens.

post-120354-0-97876800-1476553233_thumb.jpg

My latest acquisition. A Parker 61. The 61 is, in my opinion, the nicest looking and most ergonomic of pens.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Congrats. The 61s are beautiful pens. I like the later English C/C ones better. Though I have both the capliary as well the C/C versions.

Khan M. Ilyas

Not caring for double jewel pens, I prefer the 51 aero. There is the issue of cracks in. 61 plastic. My one 61 must be at least forty years out of the factory. The 61 is an interesting curiousity, and every Parker collection should have one.

The 61 is an interesting curiousity, and every Parker collection should have one.

Yeah. So I thought. But, one became two, two then became three, and so forth with no end in sight.

I do not see this as a problem... Unless you're about to buy my metal jeweled burgundy custom c/c pen.

Regards

Richard.

...or my metal jeweled insignia c/c pen (and Ballpoint set).

Edited to add the last three words within paranthesis.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Yeah. So I thought. But, one became two, two then became three, and so forth with no end in sight.

As said above, this is not a problem! I like the English c/c P-61 medium. They would have been built about 1968-early '70s, so the nibs are more likely to be juicy and almost-like-new than a P-51 nib. I have a 61 Flighter and a 61 "rolled gold" always at-hand, along with several P-51s. Nothing else feels right...maybe I've got to many FP's??

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

richard and mitto, I know where you guys live. What cannot be bought could be stolen.

You wanna go the wrong route to reach the right place? Nigh impossible.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have a UK 81m capillary, rolled gold cap, black body, wet medium nib. I use it every day to check if it has dried up yet. It hasn't dried up yet. Sometimes I jot something with it. When I want to really write something, I use a 51. They are what I like. Ah, but who doesn't like endless and pointless controversy? It's a matter of opinion, and 61s in my possession will not multiply. I am still tempted to make another Kullock 51, though. Pieces are at hand. If I were of the opinion that the 61 were a pen I liked to write with, I would have changed its plastic for aftermarket. No importa.

I unscrewed the 61 capillary section and screwed it into a 51 demi barrel. I never thought that would work. I should have tried it years ago. It screws in, and the cap closes well. It looks rather long. It's the same 61 otherwise, so the amusement will fade.

The best thing about the 61 is the arrow that tells me how to orient the nib when writing.

I have read on this forum that the nibs on the P61 are smoother than other Parkers. Is this an accepted fact ? And why so ?

From my experience, especially using fine nib's, all the P61's I have used have had very smooth nibs.

I have found that nibs on UK made Parker 51 and 61 seem smoother. Many of the well used 51s are very smooth. I don't think the 61s have an automatic advantage. If you think the 61s are better, though, then use the 61. I think the 51 and 61 in all versions are together the best of pens, and I think there is no point or advantage accruing to you of dividing them into some partisan conflict. Rather, stand them together against other pens.