The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dillo stub

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimCouch

JimCouch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 19:38

OMAS MOMA / Dillo stub a quick review.

I recently sent my beloved OMAS MOMA pen off to Dillon ang to have itís broad nib stubbed and tuned.

The MOMA I picked up on eBay is one of my favorite my favorite pens. I like itís lightweight and itís balance. I was never real happy with the broad nib though. The nib wrote a massivly wide line with no real character. It also had a tendancy to Ďskipí at times on the downstroke. I had been planning to send it off to someone and have the nib tuned to resolve the problem, but did not want to be without my pen for a number of months. I had also decided that this might be a good nib to experiment with as a stub.

Enter Dillo. I saw his add on the FPN marketplace and his pricing looked great, better yet, it appeared that the turnaround time would be MUCH quicker than most of the other nibmeisters out there. I sent an e-mail to confirm the price on what I want done an fired off the pen.

Dillon had told me that it was going to take a little longer to turn around my pen because of a house remodel. He apologized and stated that the pen would be returned to me in early September. (I had sent it to him in early August.) This meant that my pen would be gone for weeks, not months. As it was he under promised and over delivered. I got an e-mail last Monday saying my pen was finished, and I received the pen yesterday - August 30th! Talk about fantastic communication and great service! The pen was well packaged and clean as a whistle. I had very carefully cleaned the pen before sending it off, and it was returned to me even cleaner, if that is possible! This is obviously someone who cares!

So - what about the stub you ask? So far I LOVE it. While it is obvious that it is going to take me a while to adapt to it and get the most out of the stub, it is much more forgiving than I would have expected. It takes me a fair amount of concentration to get the kind of variation one can expect from a stub, but the nib writes well and is smooth, even if I am in a hurry and careless. It now lays down a nice wet line reliably. I am really enjoying the stub and could not be happier with the quality of work! As an added bonus - the price was right, $30.00!

Many thanks to Dillon for his fine work and rapid turnaround!

Jim

9/13/06 writing sample added

Attached Images

• DilloStub0001.jpg

Edited by JimCouch, 14 September 2006 - 05:29.

Jim Couch Portland, OR

Sponsored Content

#2 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:17

I've had Dillo work on 2 nibs for me (so far), and each is fantastic. He has made me italic nibs, which are a bit less forgiving than the stub, or at least that is my understanding. Each of the nibs writes beautifully, has the amount of tooth I requested, and gives great line variation.

Enjoy your new stub, and welcome to this sect of fountain pen addiction.

french

#3 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:55

Congrats on the custom nib - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Dillon has worked on quite a few pens of mine and I am quite satisfied. As a matter of fact, he has quite a few of them now, and I know they're going to come back ready to write miles!!! He has a medium nibbed Duofold Mosaic Centennial of mine now for stubbing.

Hey Jim, how about a writing sample? Show us a picture of the line variation - pen would be nice too!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#4 JimCouch

JimCouch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:31

Hey Jim, how about a writing sample? Show us a picture of the line variation - pen would be nice too!

Here is a writing sample (such as it is!) Pen pictures to follow - but it will be a bit as I have some home projects to get finished first!

Jim

Attached Images

• DilloStub0001.jpg

Jim Couch Portland, OR

#5 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 13:00

Jim, what is the ink you used for this review? It's very nice!!!

Edited by Taki, 14 September 2006 - 13:01.

#6 JimCouch

JimCouch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 17:09

Jim, what is the ink you used for this review? It's very nice!!!

Taki,

The ink is Sailor blue-black, one of my favorite inks! Thanks to M4R1N4 for bringing it to my attention via her fine review: Sailor blue-black review

Edited by JimCouch, 14 September 2006 - 17:09.

Jim Couch Portland, OR

#7 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 17:41

Thanks, Jim. I have Tahitian Pearl and Midnight Blues in mail, but I need to check Sailor, too. I'm in Blue & BlueBlack phase :rolleyes:

#8 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• 2,043 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 17:45

I'm having Dillo stub my $27 pen, I'm very excited about it.
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#9 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2006 - 15:34

Dillo reground my Pelikan M600 medium nib to a cursive italic. It's my favorite writer at the moment! Great job! He also smoothed my extra-fine Balance Feather-touch nib beautifully.

Don
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#10 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• 2,043 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 19:14

Got my Dillo stub in the mail today and I'm loving it! Loaded it with Noodler's Red Black, which is perfect to show the subtle variation. This is my Danitrio "$27," which I liked but didn't love as the medium is just too broad for me. This brings it to perfection.

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this pen.

Thanks Dillo! (Speedy, too.)
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

Sponsored Content

|