Dillo stub

JimCouch

OMAS MOMA / Dillo stub a quick review.

I recently sent my beloved OMAS MOMA pen off to Dillon ang to have it’s broad nib stubbed and tuned.

The MOMA I picked up on eBay is one of my favorite my favorite pens. I like it’s lightweight and it’s balance. I was never real happy with the broad nib though. The nib wrote a massivly wide line with no real character. It also had a tendancy to ‘skip’ at times on the downstroke. I had been planning to send it off to someone and have the nib tuned to resolve the problem, but did not want to be without my pen for a number of months. I had also decided that this might be a good nib to experiment with as a stub.

Enter Dillo. I saw his add on the FPN marketplace and his pricing looked great, better yet, it appeared that the turnaround time would be MUCH quicker than most of the other nibmeisters out there. I sent an e-mail to confirm the price on what I want done an fired off the pen.

Dillon had told me that it was going to take a little longer to turn around my pen because of a house remodel. He apologized and stated that the pen would be returned to me in early September. (I had sent it to him in early August.) This meant that my pen would be gone for weeks, not months. As it was he under promised and over delivered. I got an e-mail last Monday saying my pen was finished, and I received the pen yesterday - August 30th! Talk about fantastic communication and great service! The pen was well packaged and clean as a whistle. I had very carefully cleaned the pen before sending it off, and it was returned to me even cleaner, if that is possible! This is obviously someone who cares!

So - what about the stub you ask? So far I LOVE it. While it is obvious that it is going to take me a while to adapt to it and get the most out of the stub, it is much more forgiving than I would have expected. It takes me a fair amount of concentration to get the kind of variation one can expect from a stub, but the nib writes well and is smooth, even if I am in a hurry and careless. It now lays down a nice wet line reliably. I am really enjoying the stub and could not be happier with the quality of work! As an added bonus - the price was right, $30.00!

Many thanks to Dillon for his fine work and rapid turnaround!

Jim

9/13/06 writing sample added

post-34-1158211781_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimCouch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimCouch

• Taki

• sonia_simone

• French

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had Dillo work on 2 nibs for me (so far), and each is fantastic. He has made me italic nibs, which are a bit less forgiving than the stub, or at least that is my understanding. Each of the nibs writes beautifully, has the amount of tooth I requested, and gives great line variation.

Enjoy your new stub, and welcome to this sect of fountain pen addiction.

french

Congrats on the custom nib - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Dillon has worked on quite a few pens of mine and I am quite satisfied. As a matter of fact, he has quite a few of them now, and I know they're going to come back ready to write miles!!! He has a medium nibbed Duofold Mosaic Centennial of mine now for stubbing.

Hey Jim, how about a writing sample? Show us a picture of the line variation - pen would be nice too!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Jim, how about a writing sample? Show us a picture of the line variation - pen would be nice too!

Here is a writing sample (such as it is!) Pen pictures to follow - but it will be a bit as I have some home projects to get finished first!

Jim

post-34-1158211898_thumb.jpg

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Jim, what is the ink you used for this review? It's very nice!!!

Taki,

The ink is Sailor blue-black, one of my favorite inks! Thanks to M4R1N4 for bringing it to my attention via her fine review: Sailor blue-black review

Edited by JimCouch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

I'm having Dillo stub my $27 pen, I'm very excited about it.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Dillo reground my Pelikan M600 medium nib to a cursive italic. It's my favorite writer at the moment! Great job! He also smoothed my extra-fine Balance Feather-touch nib beautifully.

Don

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Got my Dillo stub in the mail today and I'm loving it! Loaded it with Noodler's Red Black, which is perfect to show the subtle variation. This is my Danitrio "$27," which I liked but didn't love as the medium is just too broad for me. This brings it to perfection.

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this pen.

Thanks Dillo! (Speedy, too.)

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick