Nakaya Aka-Tamenuri (Cigar-Long)

SamCapote

I got my luscious and first Nakaya pen back today from Nibs.com. I had originally ordered the Aka-Tamenuri (reddish-red) in the shorter 'portable' size, and did not realize the beautiful Urushi laquer finish would be marred/scratched over time if I posted the cap. Unposted, it was just too small to feel right in my hand. Since Nibs.com was allowing me to return it (within a couple days of receipt) for the long cigar model, I figured I might as well bight the bullet and get the two tone and the resting 'pillow' as well. These nibs run a bit smaller (comparison chart on nibs.com website), so I got this in Broad, and it writes just like most of my medium nibs.

This now feels and looks perfect to me. The reddish-red Urushi finish is just impossible to adequately describe, other than to say that photos do not do it justice. It writes like it is floating on a cloud, and feels 'right as rain' in my hand. Now that I have this two color nib, I have to admit it was more than worth the upgrade price. Also, the pillow to rest it is essential. The last think you want to have happen is this go rolling off your desk and end up with a crack.

To me this is a perfect pen. I couldn't think of a more perfect match for this pen color than using Binder's Burgundy--a match made in heaven. It has a refillable gold plated converter that holds about 0.5cc ink.

When I got this, I had my trusty sidekick, Geoffrey take the lead, as these thumbnails show.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak2s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak3s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak4s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak5s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak6s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak7s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak7bs.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak8s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak9s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/pens/Nak/Nak1s.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• RitaCarbon

• AltecGreen

• JBat

Gorgeous!

EDIT: I've never seen pics of the converter mechanism. Is it the standard Platinum one? 0.5cc just seems so small for such a large pen.

Edited by sjs

Steve

Nice review, and gorgeous pen. Congratulations!

... did not realize the beautiful Urushi laquer finish would be marred/scratched over time if I posted the cap. Unposted, it was just too small to feel right in my hand.

I've had a very different experience with my urushi Nakaya's, which have been bullet-proof after hundreds of postings. However, a key difference may be that I waited about 6 months before starting to post with them, allowing a lot of time for the lacquer to cure. Like you, I was worried about marring the finish and so I reluctantly assigned my Portable and Piccolo to case-queen duty, using only the Decapod. But then after about 6 months I decided to get rid of every pen I wasn't using regularly. When it came time to sell off the Nakayas I just couldn't do it and decided to start using them, finish scratches be damned. To my great and pleasant surprise, both finishes have remained flawless for better than half a year! Bottom line, don't discount exploring the other pens of the Nakaya line out of fear that you can't post them.

-Paul

Gorgeous!

EDIT: I've never seen pics of the converter mechanism. Is it the standard Platinum one? 0.5cc just seems so small for such a large pen.

Yes, it is the standard Platinum converter. I think it is close to most of the Lamy & Waterman type converters.

I've had a very different experience with my urushi Nakaya's, which have been bullet-proof after hundreds of postings. However, a key difference may be that I waited about 6 months before starting to post with them, allowing a lot of time for the lacquer to cure. Like you, I was worried about marring the finish and so I reluctantly assigned my Portable and Piccolo to case-queen duty, using only the Decapod. But then after about 6 months I decided to get rid of every pen I wasn't using regularly. When it came time to sell off the Nakayas I just couldn't do it and decided to start using them, finish scratches be damned. To my great and pleasant surprise, both finishes have remained flawless for better than half a year! Bottom line, don't discount exploring the other pens of the Nakaya line out of fear that you can't post them.

-Paul

Good to know. I'm still in the "Nakaya Virgin" phase.

Looks great, and the comparison shots are very informative. That long section looks really comfortable.

I have the same pen and it is great, congrats and thanks for the review.

Regarding the durability of the lacquer urushi is very tough. It is used on cookware and on the scabbards of Japanese swords. Curiously the finish only improves with time as the color changes as layers are exposed due to age, exposure to light, handling etc. 5ndeed, in Japan worn lacquer exposing several layers is considered very attractive. Urushi is sap from a tree, Toxicodendron vernicifluum and as the name implies it is very toxic and cannot be imported into the USA. Thus, my Nakaya pen and my Japanese sword's scabbard have real urushi lacquer but the sword I'm having made here will not. I wonder if the imitation lacquer will be as durable or as beautiful.

... did not realize the beautiful Urushi laquer finish would be marred/scratched over time if I posted the cap. Unposted, it was just too small to feel right in my hand.

-Paul

Congratulations, SamCapote!

My Desk Pen aka tamenuri is a bit longer than your Long Cigar and looks like a baton. Or... a magic wand!

You're right about the color, how difficult it is to describe. I've been using mine everyday, I'm convinced I can see burnishing already. I joke that in about a year, it'll be pink.

As for the durability of the urushi... a couple of days after I received the pen, I was lying prone in bed, writing in my journal. My hair was hanging in my face, so I flipped it out of the way with the hand holding the Desk Pen, and the Desk Pen went flying through the air... landing on the hardwood floor three feet away.

I.

Was.

Horrified.

First, I thought the nib was smashed to smithereens.

But the pen didn't land on the nib. There wasn't even ink splatter.

Next, I examined the finish.

Not even a scratch. No sign of the crash landing.

I can't even... words... fail me... the relief... ack.

So, yeah, urushi is very durable, and I'm very happy the pen didn't land on its nib.

Enjoy your Long Cigar in good health, SamCapote!

Lisa

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I'm shocked that flying header into the wood floor didn't crack it, and what a miracle it didn't land on the nib. Great to know once I start to get broken in with 'my precious' that I might be able to post it.

Isn't that Binder's Burgundy just the perfect ink for this reddish red? I can't get over it.

Beautiful pen, I have my first Nakaya on order at the moment, same finish aka tamenuri, I decided to get a Picollo this time. Cant wait to get it but have about another seven weeks to go.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Sam!!!!!!!

What an amazing story of Geoffrey-sama!

I totally love your cute hero!!!!!!!!!!!

And that samurai sword is just perfect with the burgundy ink. Excellent choice!

Man, you have started a comics production here.

Absolutely brilliant review!

It's interesting that I have all the pens that you have on your photo, except the Nakaya. Shall I get one?hmm1.gif I'd fill it up with MB Season's Greetings bloody ink, just for the symbolism.

Sam!!!!!!!

What an amazing story of Geoffrey-sama!

I totally love your cute hero!!!!!!!!!!!

And that samurai sword is just perfect with the burgundy ink. Excellent choice!

Man, you have started a comics production here.

Absolutely brilliant review!

It's interesting that I have all the pens that you have on your photo, except the Nakaya. Shall I get one?hmm1.gif I'd fill it up with MB Season's Greetings bloody ink, just for the symbolism.

We need a weekly comics, "The Adventures of Geoffrey-Sama, Samurai".

Yes Rita, you do need a Nakaya.

I can't wait till next week to see the new Nakaya Maki-e pens and the new urushi colors.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

We need a weekly comics, "The Adventures of Geoffrey-Sama, Samurai".

Yes Rita, you do need a Nakaya.

I can't wait till next week to see the new Nakaya Maki-e pens and the new urushi colors.

Heeeeeeeere we go!

Sam: COMICS WEEKLY, COMICS WEEKLY!!!!!

BTW, Ricky, where're you going to see them Nakayas next week?

There's a maki-e pen fair at the Ito-ya store in Ginza. Nakaya as well as the other big Japanese companies are displaying new maki-e pens. They are unveiling the new shi-sin (four gods/guardians) maki-e pen as well as several new urushi colors. Unfortunately, no time to fly to Tokyo.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

There's a maki-e pen fair at the Ito-ya store in Ginza. Nakaya as well as the other big Japanese companies are displaying new maki-e pens. They are unveiling the new shi-sin (four gods/guardians) maki-e pen as well as several new urushi colors. Unfortunately, no time to fly to Tokyo.

You so lucky, me so jelous. I have two words for you, lucky man:

PICTURES PLEASE!

When you return.

Awesome! That is one beautiful pen. I've been eyeballing the Decapod version of that very pen for a while now, and your review might have just put me over the edge. Something about that red color just sings to me. :puddle:

John

Fountain pen lover

I just love the Nakaya's!

Spokane is a quark bit easier to deal with when I am using one of my Nakayas, especially the Aka Tamenuri Decapod. If these pens can do this for me in spokane, I don't think they will do you any less, probably better. Do your self a favor, get one quick!

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Love the giraffe.

Beautiful review. And here I was thinking my next c/c pen would be a Dupont with chinese lacquer, along comes your review.

Hmm... Dupont and Chinese Lacquer vs Nakaya and urushi...

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Love the giraffe.

Beautiful review. And here I was thinking my next c/c pen would be a Dupont with chinese lacquer, along comes your review.

Hmm... Dupont and Chinese Lacquer vs Nakaya and urushi...

I was using it for about 4 hours today, with Geoffrey's permission. His quid pro quo was a worthy bargain.

You know you have something special when you are beginning to wonder if it possesses special properties of magical enchantment. I just know I want to reach for it, and rather than being bored by it's elegant simplicity, it has an effect of being like a perfect Zen garden, or Bonsai tree. I never imagined owning a pen without a clip. Using the perfectly matched pillow contributes to it being a ceremonial experience.

Congrat! Amazing "katana" ( 刀 ) pen! Its nib looks like more a medium than a broad, doesn't it?

Enjoy!

Fabricio