Best Ballpoint

What are some of the best ballpoint pen?

In catagories of:

1. Smoothness

2. Ink capacity

3. Reliability

4. Appearence

5. Overall

Edited by RedTape

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• Kugelschreiber

• 51ISH

• Noto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would argue any pen that takes pilot g2 refills, perhaps a waterman hemisphere?

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

As a Child of the '50's-'60's, it was of course with out any doubt, a Cross, in Black and Gold. :notworthy1: That was the most expensive highest statused US made BP, going for @ ten real silver dollars.

Rich kids or Adults with a bit of cash had them....Poor kids said one day....I almost bought one @1970, but got mugged by a Silver Parker 75 set.

Humm...one day. :eureka:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Got to have something to hand to folks instead of your good FP. Hell I still got some nice Jotters/Flighters and and the Silver Parker 75, and a nice Parker mat blue metal BP and MP. Don't remember the name, but we've had them some 25 years.

Found a MB in my writing instruments too, to my surprise.

From before I got bitten by that rabid Esterbrook.

After all some times a hamburger is nice instead of Prime Rib all the time.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What are some of the best ballpoint pen?

In catagories of:

1. Smoothness

2. Ink capacity

3. Reliability

4. Appearence

5. Overall

Categories 1 & 3: the late Papermates filled with metal Lubriglide refills.

Category 2: Parker or its imitations

Category 4: Sheaffer Targa

Category 5: the late Papermate Profile

Just my own opinion, may or may not concur with others.

After "finding" FPs again, I find I can't go back to a ball point, as it requires too much pressure. Any non FP writing I do (or for "have you got a pen?" moments), I find that a Parker Gel insert is the one I go for.

Smooth and easy flowing, but any gel would be okay. Probably the best thing to happen to BP shells, so you don't have to use what now feels like old technology in comparison to the easy flow of FPs.

I think I've tried everything on the shelf at Staples (besides the fancy stuff that's locked up). So as far as stuff that you can find commonly, I really liked Pilot Precise V5/V7's. For a more dry and waterproof writer, the very-new Sharpie Pen is pretty good.

|| Lamy Safari (F) || Parker 51 (M) || J. Herbin Violette Pensee || Rhodia No. 12 ||

I've been an avid BP user for many years and find that this type is mroe economical than other. I think it's because they don't put as much water in as over brands so I think British Petroleum is the way to go.

the kilometrico is fantastic

In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality,

while the living person is dependent and has no individuality

Isn't that kinda like asking about the best second rate product? :embarrassed_smile:

Honestly, I have to agree with this sentiment.

But if I was to recommend a BP pen, it would be the Parker Jotter. I had one, once, and I liked it very much.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Just get a Jetstream. They write smoother than an FP and they're cheap, too.

Just get a Jetstream. They write smoother than an FP and they're cheap, too.

Jetsteam pens are pretty nice, though I think they still struggle where some FPs struggle, like on parts of post-it notes, etc. I don't really consider it a standard, write-on-anything bp.

Inked:

Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson);

Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki);

Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

Isn't that kinda like asking about the best second rate product? :embarrassed_smile:

Uggh, even if one thinks they're "second rate", one can still rank the available "second rate" products. A category of items one considers "second rate" doesn't preclude the ability to rank.

I like the refills made by Aurora, Cross, Parker, Pelikan and Visconti. Which ball point pen in particular to put them in? Just like a FP from a particular manufacturer, find one that suits your tastes in terms of clicking v. twist, weight, balance, size, aesthetics, etc. or some combination thereof.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

My favorite ballpoint is the Uni-Ball Power Tank. it's smooth writing and can write on anything, in cold, upside down, etc... (all the same claims as a Fisher space pen essentially) The ink is also darker and more tenacious than most BP ink. This is the pen I have to use on the labels at work because they will not accept Fountain pen ink.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Definitely not Cross. The new ones manufactured in China are the pits. They skip, don't

start immediately etc. All in all garbage !

Definitely not Cross. The new ones manufactured in China are the pits. They skip, don't

start immediately etc. All in all garbage !

Really, didn't know about that. Thanks. I think the last one I used was a couple of decades ago, LOL. :D

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Anyone ever use a Skilcraft/Industries for the Blind "US Government" ballpoint? I mean, outside of a government institution. I read an article that their ratio of quality to cost-to-buy is so good, the Gov't isn't seeking to get rid of them any time soon. I want to check one out to see how well they write.

|| Lamy Safari (F) || Parker 51 (M) || J. Herbin Violette Pensee || Rhodia No. 12 ||

Anyone ever use a Skilcraft/Industries for the Blind "US Government" ballpoint? I mean, outside of a government institution.

I've worked for a few US government labs, and the Skilcraft ballpoints (and later rollerballs) were indeed much better than I might have expected. I've never seen them outside a government office, though. Next chance I get, I'll, er, "stock up".