FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Bic Select Xpen
Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:05
1. Appearance & Design (9) - I love the look of the pen, its very futuristic, although I love the classic "cigar look" pens this is a beautiful exception, its a good companion for my Safaris. The body is Aluminium and the grip is kind of rubber, it's very comfortable and good "touch sensation".
2. Construction & Quality (8) - I make some "hard" test and this pen is very strength, some falls, scratches and nothing, is pure hardness and durability, if we talk about the body and inkless. I loosen two inches and this happen.
Maybe this test shouldn't be doing so frequently
3. Weight & Dimensions (2) - Although is a very light pen one of my complains is the size. 13.3 cm posted, 11.6 unposted and 12.6 cm caped. It is just to small, maybe is because my big hands I don't feel it right, maybe if you have a "normal size" hands it would be perfect for you. In a good reference, the Xpen posted is more or less the same size of the Safari unposted.
4. Nib & Performance (2) - It's a very very very wet nib, it use too much ink, seriously too much. In my copy paper brand X I never had problems of bleed through with any ink or pen but this combination of Herbin and Bic nib was a disaster. In Rhodia paper works fine, but still use too much ink, is not a good college partner, at least with bottled ink not. The hilarious thing is the Bic logo in the nib, I don't know why but I like it.
5. Filling System & Maintenance (7) - C/C or standard International cartridges. It came with a Short Cartridge but i didn't taste it, I use a Pelikan converter and started to taste it with J. Herbin Vert Reseda. I can't talk about others types of filling system because all my pens are C/C (sad isn't?). The good thing is I can brought short international cartridges here in Mexico, the Lamy, Sheaffer and Pilot ones are very hard to find, at least in my city.
6. Cost & Value (8) - Well, this pen cost normally $96.00MXN is more or less $7.50US but I buy this in offer for $60.00MXN like $4.80US. This pen worth the money I pay for it, maybe in a real price its going be a little deception because is NOT a good pen, even so still being a really cheap pen.
7. Conclusion (6) - I'm thinking in keeping this pen but only for black cartridges, I don't have any black bottled ink and sometimes I need it for documents or works and I wanted a excuse for buy a Herbin cartridges package. This pen didn't meet my expectations; I'm kind of disappointed with Bic I thought a brand like this should make a good quality pen. But what can I ask for $7.50 right?
Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:28
Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F,
Posted 03 May 2010 - 13:26
Posted 03 May 2010 - 19:13
Where did you buy this pen? Is it still in production?
I but this one in Office Depot, and yes, Bic page show it's still available.
Posted 03 May 2010 - 19:57
IIRC, I paid about $70.00MXN for mine, back in December 2008.
Vancouver Pen Club
OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple
Posted 04 May 2010 - 20:53
Also known as a Stypen, and found branded as such here in the US.
The Stypen I have has a snap on cap, but a retractable section that screws in/out of the body.