Registration on the Fountain Pen Network
Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.
Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Bic Select Xpen
Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:05
1. Appearance & Design (9) - I love the look of the pen, its very futuristic, although I love the classic "cigar look" pens this is a beautiful exception, its a good companion for my Safaris. The body is Aluminium and the grip is kind of rubber, it's very comfortable and good "touch sensation".
2. Construction & Quality (8) - I make some "hard" test and this pen is very strength, some falls, scratches and nothing, is pure hardness and durability, if we talk about the body and inkless. I loosen two inches and this happen.
Maybe this test shouldn't be doing so frequently
3. Weight & Dimensions (2) - Although is a very light pen one of my complains is the size. 13.3 cm posted, 11.6 unposted and 12.6 cm caped. It is just to small, maybe is because my big hands I don't feel it right, maybe if you have a "normal size" hands it would be perfect for you. In a good reference, the Xpen posted is more or less the same size of the Safari unposted.
4. Nib & Performance (2) - It's a very very very wet nib, it use too much ink, seriously too much. In my copy paper brand X I never had problems of bleed through with any ink or pen but this combination of Herbin and Bic nib was a disaster. In Rhodia paper works fine, but still use too much ink, is not a good college partner, at least with bottled ink not. The hilarious thing is the Bic logo in the nib, I don't know why but I like it.
5. Filling System & Maintenance (7) - C/C or standard International cartridges. It came with a Short Cartridge but i didn't taste it, I use a Pelikan converter and started to taste it with J. Herbin Vert Reseda. I can't talk about others types of filling system because all my pens are C/C (sad isn't?). The good thing is I can brought short international cartridges here in Mexico, the Lamy, Sheaffer and Pilot ones are very hard to find, at least in my city.
6. Cost & Value (8) - Well, this pen cost normally $96.00MXN is more or less $7.50US but I buy this in offer for $60.00MXN like $4.80US. This pen worth the money I pay for it, maybe in a real price its going be a little deception because is NOT a good pen, even so still being a really cheap pen.
7. Conclusion (6) - I'm thinking in keeping this pen but only for black cartridges, I don't have any black bottled ink and sometimes I need it for documents or works and I wanted a excuse for buy a Herbin cartridges package. This pen didn't meet my expectations; I'm kind of disappointed with Bic I thought a brand like this should make a good quality pen. But what can I ask for $7.50 right?
Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:28
Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F,
Posted 03 May 2010 - 13:26
Posted 03 May 2010 - 19:13
Where did you buy this pen? Is it still in production?
I but this one in Office Depot, and yes, Bic page show it's still available.
Posted 03 May 2010 - 19:57
IIRC, I paid about $70.00MXN for mine, back in December 2008.
Vancouver Pen Club
OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple
Posted 04 May 2010 - 20:53
Also known as a Stypen, and found branded as such here in the US.
The Stypen I have has a snap on cap, but a retractable section that screws in/out of the body.