The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bic Select Xpen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eslemexe

eslemexe

Extremely Rare

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:05

First Impression: I was looking around in Office Depot and I see this pen, it was really cheap so I brought it. It looks like a science fiction pen and its kind of small, that is a problem for my big hands but this is just an experiment for the cheapest fountain pen I know. It came in a blister package like all the Bic pens around, not to much information just very very basics. In first view I think this pen is going to be very comfortable, but more on that later.

1. Appearance & Design (9) - I love the look of the pen, its very futuristic, although I love the classic "cigar look" pens this is a beautiful exception, its a good companion for my Safaris. The body is Aluminium and the grip is kind of rubber, it's very comfortable and good "touch sensation".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Construction & Quality (8) - I make some "hard" test and this pen is very strength, some falls, scratches and nothing, is pure hardness and durability, if we talk about the body and inkless. I loosen two inches and this happen.

Posted Image

Maybe this test shouldn't be doing so frequently

3. Weight & Dimensions (2) - Although is a very light pen one of my complains is the size. 13.3 cm posted, 11.6 unposted and 12.6 cm caped. It is just to small, maybe is because my big hands I don't feel it right, maybe if you have a "normal size" hands it would be perfect for you. In a good reference, the Xpen posted is more or less the same size of the Safari unposted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4. Nib & Performance (2) - It's a very very very wet nib, it use too much ink, seriously too much. In my copy paper brand X I never had problems of bleed through with any ink or pen but this combination of Herbin and Bic nib was a disaster. In Rhodia paper works fine, but still use too much ink, is not a good college partner, at least with bottled ink not. The hilarious thing is the Bic logo in the nib, I don't know why but I like it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5. Filling System & Maintenance (7) - C/C or standard International cartridges. It came with a Short Cartridge but i didn't taste it, I use a Pelikan converter and started to taste it with J. Herbin Vert Reseda. I can't talk about others types of filling system because all my pens are C/C (sad isn't?). The good thing is I can brought short international cartridges here in Mexico, the Lamy, Sheaffer and Pilot ones are very hard to find, at least in my city.

Posted Image

6. Cost & Value (8) - Well, this pen cost normally $96.00MXN is more or less $7.50US but I buy this in offer for $60.00MXN like $4.80US. This pen worth the money I pay for it, maybe in a real price its going be a little deception because is NOT a good pen, even so still being a really cheap pen.

7. Conclusion (6) - I'm thinking in keeping this pen but only for black cartridges, I don't have any black bottled ink and sometimes I need it for documents or works and I wanted a excuse for buy a Herbin cartridges package. This pen didn't meet my expectations; I'm kind of disappointed with Bic I thought a brand like this should make a good quality pen. But what can I ask for $7.50 right?

Sponsored Content

#2 Spector

Spector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:28

Where did you buy this pen? Is it still in production?
Posted Image "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

#3 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2010 - 13:26

Nice review and as you say what can I ask for $7.50, I suppose to a degree you get what you pay for.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 17:42

Also known as a Stypen, and found branded as such here in the US.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 eslemexe

eslemexe

Extremely Rare

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 19:13

Where did you buy this pen? Is it still in production?

I but this one in Office Depot, and yes, Bic page show it's still available.

#6 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2010 - 19:57

I've got an Xpen myself, which I actually also bought at an Office Depot in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, to be exact). Good to hear the Pelikan converter fits - I'll have to pick one up.

IIRC, I paid about $70.00MXN for mine, back in December 2008.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#7 DanDeM

DanDeM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 20:53

Also known as a Stypen, and found branded as such here in the US.

The Stypen I have has a snap on cap, but a retractable section that screws in/out of the body.

Sponsored Content

|