Montblanc Copernicus 4810 Review

jamesgibby

Hi Guys

When i was researching this pen i noted the lack of a review on the forum. I therefore wanted to contribute.

Design and Build

At first glance the Copernicus seems very plain. However a closer inspection reveals how wonderfully designed this pen actually is. In dark light the pen looks a plain blue-ish pen with silver accents. However a closer look in the light reveals that it is in fact a tone of green. The pen not only has the clearly visible silver rings, but what at first seems like plain lacquer actually has many smaller and thinner rings. the clip elegantly flows from the cap and has a piece of greenish meteorite stone. Perhaps the most stunning feature of the pen is the Mother of Pearl star that really makes this pen stand out. It fits in perfectly with the design and adds another dimension to the design of this pen.post-40192-127280906453.jpg post-40192-127280904411.jpg

The nib is my favourite aspect of the design, it shows the sun with the earth(the breather hole)orbiting it and the moon orbiting the earth. The nib is a M nib with a fair amount of tipping on it. It tends to be quite 'squeaky' and not as smooth as i would have liked so this is a prime candidate to be sent off to be modified.

post-40192-127280902616.jpg

The piston is operated by twisting the last 'section' at the back of the pen. The piston is very smooth in both directions and filled without any problems straight from the box. The threads are not brass which may have been a weight reduction strategy as it would have been way too unbalanced if it were capped. Overall the pen is quite weighty. It is heavier than a 146 solitaire but its quite balanced un-capped. When capped it tends to be quite heavy towards the back and this makes it uncomfortable for me to write with it capped. In terms of size, it fits neatly between the 146 and the 149.

post-40192-127280907471.jpg

Value

I did not actually purchase this pen. Max from Maxpens and Astoria took me up on my offer of trading my Internet Consultancy's services in exchange for pens. I therefore got this pen in exchange for designing and building of Astoria's website. However the overall cost to me was just about what a near mint Copernicus would have cost me so i am still qualified to give a judgement on its value.

i would say that the pen get a good 8/10 in terms of value for money.

Summary

The Copernicus is a wonderfully understated pen and its subtle details make this pen far more interesting than others from the Patron of the Arts series. i found the squeaky nib a bit annoying and also found that due to the weight it was not a pen i could carry around with me all the time. However it is still my main writer when at home and it sits proudly on my desk! Overall this pen is very much worth it!!!

post-40192-127280905687.jpg

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamesgibby

• Blade Runner

• hari317

• akustyk

Stunning pen, and the celestial nib motif is very cool. What ink are using?

Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks for this good review, you have highlighted various aspects of the pen which are normally not noticeable in photographs.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Great review.

Love the Hematite. I have the 146 @ 144, as well as the hematite moneyclip @ solitaire keychain. The 144 was my very first fountain pen ever.

Thanks for sharing.

Love,

Joe

Great review, thanks. One of my all time favoutite pens, there are days I regret getting rid of it.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Stunning pen, and the celestial nib motif is very cool. What ink are using?

Congrats and enjoy!

Im using it with MB Midnight Blue, although i seriously have considered BRG

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Great review.

Love the Hematite. I have the 146 @ 144, as well as the hematite moneyclip @ solitaire keychain. The 144 was my very first fountain pen ever.

Thanks for sharing.

Love,

Joe

Im Just writing the review for the Hematite 146 just now :)

Thanks for the review. I absolutely love the design of this pen!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thanks guys :thumbup: i got a PM from a member here who wants to publish this and my other review on his pen review blog. so i may have to write some more ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello jamesgibby,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics. Why not carry & use it every day? Or are there many more FPs you can pick up?

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 2 weeks later...

it is a very special pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 months later...