RHR's Favorite Trademarks

Gerry

Like the patent collection, I thought the trademark posts deserved being collected together (and pinned). George warns me that they will be as long as the patent list....

1, The Trademark Era, and the Ur-Trademarks

2, The Carter Company Names

3, Flurries Of Activity, Pencils

4, Not On The USPTO Website

5, The Hard-Rubber-Substitutes Celluloid, Galalith, & Bakelite

6, Sanford-Ink & Wirt-Pen Hands

7, Eagle's Eagles

8, "Ne Plus Ultra", Again

9, Flurries Of Activity, Steel Nibs, Stylos, And Charm Pencils,

10, Two Crossed Nibs,

11, Esterbrook Nibs,

12, The Easy Writer,

13, Caw's & Brown,

14, Suns & Centuries,

15, Lionpen,

16, Aluminum Nibs,

17, Ink Blotters & Lightning Bolts,

18, The Pen Moves The World,

19, Pens & Nibs,

20, The Type Writer,

21, The Fasces & The Swastika,

22, Quills & Inkhorns,

23, Ball Pointed Nibs,

24, Pierced By A Pen,

25. The Pyro Writer

26, Armeny & Marion,

27, The Mercantile,

28, Copiers,

29, Flurries Of Activity, Fountain Pens, & Conklin,

30, Dry Ink,

31, Color Images, At Last!

32, Anthropomorphic Pens & Pencils,

33, Orange Red,

34, The Onoto

35, Parker Arrows

36, Waterman's Mechanical Pencils

37, The Combo

38, The Thomas Ink Cat

39, The Drop Penknife & Penholder

40, The Red Band, The Mikado, & The Mirado

41, The Red & Black

42, The Black & Red

43, The Word " Pensmith", Publisher's Devices, & Dingbats

This is, I believe, the total that RHR is submitting... Thanks George...

Please review the closing paragraph to #43, and see if you're up to the challenge...

Regards

Gerry

Edited by Gerry
Updated

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhr

• Gerry

• WanderingAuthor

• tmh

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Sorry, but all the trademark links in this list are dead. A recent upgrade of TDR at the USPTO has changed all the URLs for the trademarks by a few characters, which means that all the hyperlinks to the trademarks within this pinned topic have been disabled. FPN policy allows editing of posts for only 24 hours after making a post, so I cannot correct any of the broken links.

George Kovalenko.

:ninja:

Edited by rhr

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Sorry, but all the trademark links in this list are dead. A recent upgrade of TDR at the USPTO has changed all the URLs for the trademarks by a few characters, which means that all the hyperlinks to the trademarks within this pinned topic have been disabled. FPN policy allows editing of posts for only 24 hours after making a post, so I cannot correct any of the broken links.

George Kovalenko.

Curious; couldn't you just add a new post below the old one with updated links?

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

Curious; couldn't you just add a new post below the old one with updated links?

I suppose I could. There are only 43 threads altogether, with about 175 trademark links in them. ;~)

I simplified the problem in my last message. This is actually the second time that the USPTO has changed the URLs for the trademarks. The first 23 threads already had broken links in them from the first time. Now, all of them are affected. I cross-posted the series on L&P, and went into all the affected messages over there and corrected them once already. But now my heart just isn't in it any more, to redo all that work and correct the links a second time. Who knows whether all the links will get changed again? I just don't trust the Trademark department of the USPTO anymore. In contrast, the links to the patents and designs and re-issues have not changed since they were placed online.

I did include a link to the TDR Portlet at the bottom of each message. That way the readers can perform those 175 searches themselves. Thank goodness the USPTO hasn't changed that link.

George Kovalenko.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

I suppose I could. There are only 43 threads altogether, with about 175 trademark links in them. ;~)

I simplified the problem in my last message. This is actually the second time that the USPTO has changed the URLs for the trademarks. The first 23 threads already had broken links in them from the first time. Now, all of them are affected. I cross-posted the series on L&P, and went into all the affected messages over there and corrected them once already. But now my heart just isn't in it any more, to redo all that work and correct the links a second time. Who knows whether all the links will get changed again? I just don't trust the Trademark department of the USPTO anymore. In contrast, the links to the patents and designs and re-issues have not changed since they were placed online.

I did include a link to the TDR Portlet at the bottom of each message. That way the readers can perform those 175 searches themselves. Thank goodness the USPTO hasn't changed that link.

Now I understand the problem. And I agree that it really doesn't seem worth much work when you just don't know if they'll break the links again.

I do have a suggestion for future posts of this type. There is a free service called WebCite, which allows you to save a copy of any (or at least most - I'm sure there are exceptions somewhere) information on the web, and provides you with a permanent, stable link to that information. It is meant to allow for enduring citations in academic articles, but the problem you are facing here is essentially the same thing. Yes, it would be a bit more work to use such links - but at least it would avoid the problem you're facing here.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

I do have a suggestion for future posts of this type. There is a free service called WebCite, which allows you to save a copy of any (or at least most - I'm sure there are exceptions somewhere) information on the web, and provides you with a permanent, stable link to that information.

Thanks for the heads up on that website. That's a very good helpful hint. It's like a scholarly version of such sites as YouTube, or Photobucket. Another possibility is to host the information on one's own website. The information would always be there as long as the website was kept active. Since I posted those 43 threads, I have saved all the pen trademarks that I could find as PDFs, all 1375 of them, and I could cite and host any of them online myself. Thanks again, fellow OnotoNaut.

George Kovalenko.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

• 3 months later...

That is serious dedication to a hobby, eh hem, passion. :thumbup:

I do have a suggestion for future posts of this type. There is a free service called WebCite, which allows you to save a copy of any (or at least most - I'm sure there are exceptions somewhere) information on the web, and provides you with a permanent, stable link to that information.

Thanks for the heads up on that website. That's a very good helpful hint. It's like a scholarly version of such sites as YouTube, or Photobucket. Another possibility is to host the information on one's own website. The information would always be there as long as the website was kept active. Since I posted those 43 threads, I have saved all the pen trademarks that I could find as PDFs, all 1375 of them, and I could cite and host any of them online myself. Thanks again, fellow OnotoNaut.

George Kovalenko.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

• 2 months later...

Yes, it is, and RHR - AKA George Kovalenko should be commended on his generousity in bringing the data to us originally.

I am wondering if anyone is willing to repeat his work - redoing the searches - and perhaps put the info on WebCite?

Perhaps a cooperative effort with George?

Perhaps we could host George's PDF's - I understand that we have a lot of storage now, and our longevity is certainly more than other pen sites - at least so far....

Regards,

Gerry

Thanks for those kind words, Pepin and Gerry.

And Gerry, nice of you to offer up those PDF's that took me a month and a half of solid work to retrieve. ;~) But don't worry, my intention is to include a copy of the CD with all the TMs as part of the purchase of the forthcoming Volume 1 of the patent book by those who already have Volume 2.

By the way, the USPTO has also updated the page for the "Registration Certificate Retrieval Portlet" to which I linked at the bottom of every initial post in that series, http://tdr.uspto.gov/registrationCertificate.action, and now I can't view the TMs using that portlet. If I were to try to retrieve all those TMs today, I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd have to use one of the alternative, non-USPTO websites.

Sincerely,

George Kovalenko.

Edited by rhr

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Hey George, don't mention it! ;-)

Anytime I can get for free for FPN members that would cost the general public, I consider a personal achievement... ;-)

There's a certain amont of volunteerism on athe part of a lot of people here - yourself, me, other admins, mods etc. etc.

Whatever one is willing to contribute is gratefully appreciated by all.

Warm regards,

Gerry