How to adjust a Parker 75 cap?

icardoth

I just bought a wonderful Parker 75 in the Prince De Galles goldplated pattern. The pen is in really nice condition, but the cap is somewhat loose. It does not slip off by accident, but after "clicking" in its place the cap can be moved up & down by 0.5 mm or so. Not a big deal, but I wonder if this movement can be reduced by adjusting the inner cap or soething like that.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• icardoth

• Bill Smith

• Joane

• ceejaybee

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the excellent find! I know what you mean. I don't have a 75 but I do have the same condition with an original version Parker Premiere (which I think came just after the 75). It's a snap cap a little loose when closed, and I also look forward to the answers on whether it's possible to adjust that.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

This may not be a job for the lighthearted but you can tighten the caps as long as it is the older type with the smaller inner cap with the metal clutch spring, the later all plastic inner caps can't be adjusted as far as I know. Take a look inside the cap and you'll see the four metal fingers if it's the older type.

First you'll need to unscrew the cap screw/tassie which can be a bit tricky as you'll need to stop the inner cap from turning/spinning which means inserting something to grip it (I used a long, hexagonal allen key which measured 7mm diameter at it's widest point) also, be careful not to damage the finish on the cap (especially the laquers) with the ball of the clip which will undoubtedly rub/scratch it when you attempt to unscrew the tassie, you might be better to put something under it for protection, Parker did use glue on these tassies and they can be difficult to undo.

If you've managed to undo it well done! now it's just a case of increasing the bend on the clutch spring fingers and reassembling everything, remember to put the clip ring inside/under the cap lip and making sure everything is seated correctly before the final tighten - Good Luck! :thumbup:

Check to see what's in your Parker 75 cap. The early ones came with a metal clutch spring which are relatively easy to fix, worst case scenario, replace. The later 75s especially when production moved over to France, the clutch spring was replaced with a plastic inner cap. All well and good, they wear out faster and have to be replaced.

I had this problem with a flighter 75 USA Production, of course it had the plastic inner cap. I gave it to Lih Tah Wong to replace with the metal clutch spring, well easier said than done, the tassie holding everything together (clip and inner cap assembly) got the better of Mr. Parker 75 himself and SMG who was repairing pens as well at the Toronto Pen Show. The pen went back with Lih Tah and it took four months get that tassie off. The pen is fine now and I'm glad I handed off to Lih Tah on this one.

So the takeaway is this, make sure the cap tassie can come off or life gets really interesting with this particular pen repair.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Thanks folks! I was able to unscrew the tassie in order to straighten the clip, the thread was glued but finally the "Parker tool to dismount caps" I bought some time ago was useful.

The inner cap has no fingers, it's all plastic. So, I'm guessing I have to replace it. :crybaby:

• 10 years later...

This may not be a job for the lighthearted but you can tighten the caps as long as it is the older type with the smaller inner cap with the metal clutch spring, the later all plastic inner caps can't be adjusted as far as I know. Take a look inside the cap and you'll see the four metal fingers if it's the older type.

First you'll need to unscrew the cap screw/tassie which can be a bit tricky as you'll need to stop the inner cap from turning/spinning which means inserting something to grip it (I used a long, hexagonal allen key which measured 7mm diameter at it's widest point) also, be careful not to damage the finish on the cap (especially the laquers) with the ball of the clip which will undoubtedly rub/scratch it when you attempt to unscrew the tassie, you might be better to put something under it for protection, Parker did use glue on these tassies and they can be difficult to undo.

If you've managed to undo it well done! now it's just a case of increasing the bend on the clutch spring fingers and reassembling everything, remember to put the clip ring inside/under the cap lip and making sure everything is seated correctly before the final tighten - Good Luck! :thumbup:

Old thread, but a good one. I have a Parker 75 Silver Grid design with a loose clip. Fixed it using the instructions here. Thanks!

For the record mine didn't have any glue on it. No heat was required, but a shocking amount of ink had collected in there over the years. The clutch was ok. The cap is OK now, not factory, but can't complain.