Gel ink refills

G22inSC

What are the opinions of the Cross Gel ink rollerball refills vs. G2 refills? I like the G2 ink; however, I like Cross pens. As far as I know you can't use G2 refills in Cross pens. Is this correct or is it possible? Should I go for the Cross pen and gel or another pen with the G2 refill? I am particularly interested in the twist style C-Series Cross pen. Does anyone have first hand experience?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G22inSC

• Jim Holzemer

• kaissa

• CowboyBlue

What are the opinions of the Cross Gel ink rollerball refills vs. G2 refills?

Sorry for not informing much but one thing that I know for sure is that Cross refills are document safe - they are resistant to tampering, water, other types of attack.

Regards,

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

The modern Cross rollerball refill is as good and as smooth as a G2 in my opinion. And, no, a G2 refill does not fit a Cross pen. I think the C-Series retractable rollerball is a great idea, and, next time I take a steer to the sale barn, I intend to get one in carbon black.

I have 25-year old Cross Townsend Medalist Selectip pen that currently holds a Cross Blue Medium rollerball. Nothing writes smoother or nicer, in my opinion. From what I have seen, Cross has started marketing their rollerball refills as "gel" refills in some venues. Whether or not they are actually gel ink, I don't know. The gel ink refills they made for their ION, Matrix and Vice pens don't fit any other pens, so I have never tried one of them. :hmm1:

"It's a fine world, though rich in hardships at times.”

― Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

I have begun to look at the Parker Sonnet as well. I like the Cross C-Series; however, I would only be able to use Cross refills. My problem with that is that I want a fine refill and the only gel selectip refills are medium. Any ideas or suggestions? Do the Cross selectips "feel" more like a regular Cross bp like the current G2 type pens?

Do the Cross selectips "feel" more like a regular Cross bp like the current G2 type pens?

I find this thread interesting become the cross gels are mentioned as document safe? That would be an advantage to me..

I did see on the cross site that gels are not available in many point sizes. This is big complaint of mine with Cross where

all their effort goes into the many pen finishes and the refills seem neglected.

Sadly all my Cross pens are ballpoints and I was looking for alternative refills (see the other thread). The C series seems

like a good alternative but one must like the one point size and 2 ink colors.

Do the Cross selectips "feel" more like a regular Cross bp like the current G2 type pens?

The C series seems like a good alternative but one must like the one point size and 2 ink colors.

This is my issue. I want a point like the 0.5 G2; however, I am afraid the Cross gel is much wider. I write very small on many different forms with small blocks to fill and don't think the Cross gel will be narrow enough. I will have to order from the net and a $100 pen is a lot to bet on. This is the reason I began to look at the Parker Sonnet because there are so many different type and point size refills available.

This is my issue. I want a point like the 0.5 G2; however, I am afraid the Cross gel is much wider. I write very small on many different forms with small blocks to fill and don't think the Cross gel will be narrow enough. I will have to order from the net and a $100 pen is a lot to bet on. This is the reason I began to look at the Parker Sonnet because there are so many different type and point size refills available.

The Cross gel is much wider than a 0.5 G2. It is only offered in one size: 0.7 medium, which to me is even still wider than the 0.7 G2. If you write small and want a fine-tipped gel refill (like me), then Cross is not going to work for you. I would give anything if Cross would offer more point sizes in their Gel refills, as the quality is great but there are just no options.

Also, I wish Cross would offer a ballpoint refill that was halfway decent. Their BP refills are very poor quality and there are many disposable pens that write much, much better. I have a post from awhile back where I tested many Cross BP alternatives if you're interested in checking it out.

Edited by jread

• 4 weeks later...

The Cross gel is much wider than a 0.5 G2. It is only offered in one size: 0.7 medium, which to me is even still wider than the 0.7 G2. If you write small and want a fine-tipped gel refill (like me), then Cross is not going to work for you. I would give anything if Cross would offer more point sizes in their Gel refills, as the quality is great but there are just no options.

Also, I wish Cross would offer a ballpoint refill that was halfway decent. Their BP refills are very poor quality and there are many disposable pens that write much, much better. I have a post from awhile back where I tested many Cross BP alternatives if you're interested in checking it out.

I was at Staples a couple months ago, and they had both a medium and a fine gel refill for Cross (real Cross-branded, not generic).

Office Depot's house-brand refill for Cross "selectip" models is actually a fine point non-gel rollerball, but it isn't especially good.

Schmidt makes a ballpoint refill for the Cross Century, etc. I haven't tried it (or found it for sale anywhere).

Fisher makes a pressurized refill for Cross ballpoints, but Fisher refills are only good for their versatility. They aren't much fun to write with.

• 4 years later...

I just recently bought the thin $20 cross gel ink pen (thin, clicky model) and was able to modify it to take the pilot G2 refill (I bought a 30 pack on ebay). It works well, but it is somehat of a hassle. Here is what I had to do:

(1) Sand down the inside of the front part of the pen barrel. This isn't too bad, takes about 5-10 minutes.

*** Make sure that it's wide enough so that the refill can COME OUT easily as well as go in. I made a huge mess when the tip of the refill came out as I was pulling it out.

(2) Change the spring. The original spring on the cross is enormous, The G2 spring is too big. A spring on a retractable bic pen should work.

(3) Cut off the end of the G-2 refill. This is the tricky / annoying part, since you have to do it each time you use a new refill and you pretty much have to get it a certain exact length.

*** I recommend you not simply cutting it to the cross refill size but rather cutting off a bit at a time and testing it in the pen until you have a good length. It is a minor trim, so a full ink barrel can still be cut.

(4) Sand down the the top inch of the G-2 refill slightly so that it slides more easily into the top barrel (the clicky end). This isn't too bad, maybe 1-2 mintues.

All in it doesn't take too long, but sanding and cutting the refill might get annoying. But these refills last fairly long too, so....

• 1 year later...

As q335r49 has mentioned I took it upon myself to answer this issue.

I took this project upon myaself mostly due to 1) I don't want to burn 7$ a refill, when the office supply closet gives G-2's for free. and 2) I can't stand Proprietary things like thsi that just pillage the wallet for a simple form change. Cross did this on purpose, if you look at the cartridges they are just slightly smaller for the Cross "slim" version. and 3) I'm a maker.(i've made my own Space Pen body using a lathe...

I did indeed come out with a Cross Click that uses the Pilot G-2 refills, which is great since those are free from my office supply closet! But there are some... tricks....

http://i.imgur.com/kFLCQ5o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/adnSWEY.jpg

First I had to run a 1/4" drill By hand up the rear of the pen. That being the "clicker" end. This takes out just a tad of the plastic that necks down the click action to the cross refill size. This is also the only caveat to the whole thing really. That small neck down in plastic keeps the clicker sping held in, if you dont mind being a bit careful when opening this up, it does save down on the "customizing" of the g-2 refill later.

Remove the nose spring for this bit: Next I had to run that same 1/4" drill bit by hand carefully down the main body portion. It opens up the necked down friction fitting that is in the middle and shaves out the inner body tube. I used the cartridges to judge the depth as i went.

Now the tricky part. The Main Spring.

http://i.imgur.com/6gfZZFF.jpg

If you take note that is not the Cross original spring. The cross spring has a few issues. 1) its too narrow for the G-2. 2) it has a very odd tapped section to fill the nose of the pen. so, I stole the strong spring out of the front of a Uni-Ball signo. (actually about 3 of them) the spring needs to be "just right" in strength AND length. The one pictured is what I ended up with. All I can say is, to slowly, remove 1 ring at a time trimming back the spring until its "perfect"

At this point the g-2 refill only needs to be trimmed to length. Make sure to line up the tips, and not the shoulders, since its a "close shave" on the nose room in this thing. I also cut it just a hair shorter and moved the g-2's black tail cap over just for my own OCD reasons...

All of this I feel was worth it since now I have a Cross pen using the G-2 refills, with only a quick cut down on the g-2 refill for length fit.

http://i.imgur.com/7UJjmdN.jpg

Freedom First, Condemn Conformity.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to convert my Cross Click to accept a Waterman rollerball refill. I cut the refill to size and ground out the pen with my rotary tool. But I'm having a problem with the spring. The Signo I bought didn't have springs like yours. Where can I get those?

Can you get the Waterman refill to work and post it?

(I got the cut down Waterman refill works perfectly in a G2 pen.)

Edited by aj3537

• 3 months later...

Have not chosen a Pilot G2, as I don't choose to sand down the refill.

However, if that works, go for it. I just find using a Foray much easier..

• 5 years later...

Above pen modification worked for me very well.. My Cross Click now accepts Energel / Uniball Signo 207 / Pilot G2 refills... Thanks for great help