Aurora Archivi Storici 022

ttakacs

The Archivi Storici collection takes its name from Aurora's retrieving of original mechanisms from the 1950s (in perfect working order, tested and guaranteed by Aurora laboratories).

This retrò collection recalls all the appeal of the fashions of those years: the hooded nibs, the bows for the lady's pen, the satin silver and gold.

All items come with a certificate of authenticity and guarantee, as proof that they're original productions. ...

[reproduced from Giardino Italia Web site]

This, the only piston-filled Aurora of the Historical Archives collection, is not a reproduction but an original Aurora 88p, one of the later models, assembled from original parts retained by Aurora, and rebranded the Aurora Archivi Storici 022.

The Presentation

The pen comes in a sturdy cardboard square (18.5cm) box that is 5cm in height. The pen sits in a black leather-like, hinged pen case with the familiar red Aurora logo on the satin inside and a discreet logo on the top of the case. A card attesting to the authenticity of the pen is included. Also in the package is a chunky glass bottle containing I would guess 15ml of Aurora Blue ink. The bottle itself appears to be unbranded; it is wrapped in a cardboard sleeve that, so far, I have resisted removing.

post-20437-127233244966.jpg

post-20437-127233261262.jpg

All in all, understated, tasteful packaging that makes a good impression. My only quibble is that there is easily room in the box for a full (45ml) bottle of ink.

The Pen

The AS 022 barrel and section are in black, brushed satin resin, and the cap is brushed satin chrome. The piston and section rings are polished chrome. The nib is a 14k firm, medium nib that tends more to fine-medium. The cap fits very snugly, by friction fit. It actually takes a bit of effort to remove the cap, but despite the closeness there does not appear to be any rubbing of the cap against the black resin. Posted, the cap also fits snugly with no evident damage to the barrel. Befitting a new pen, the ink window is clear with no ambering.

post-20437-127233264908.jpg

Comparisons

The AS 022 is 13.5cm capped and 14cm posted. In the photos below are a Montblanc 144, Parker 51, AS 022, and Aurora 88. Capped, these four pens are essentially the same length. Posted, the AS 022 is the shortest. The four pens are lined up with the narrowest pen at the left. The 144 is almost too small for my hand. The Parker 51 and AS 022 are almost the same girth; the Aurora 88 is largest in diameter. Indeed, due to its girth the Aurora 88 is a "big black pen" that feels hefty in the hand, but its superior styling (by Nozzoli) does not make it look bloated. The vintage 88 is simply a beautiful pen. Its little sister, the AS 022, feels substantial but also more compact and has its own elegance. I don't have an accurate kitchen scale to weigh them, but I would guess that the 88 and 022 weigh the same.

post-20437-127233275408.jpg post-20437-127233275485.jpg

Writing

The AS 022 filled readily with ink (Sailor Jentle Blue). On Clairefontaine, the nib has a bit of the "tooth" that Aurora nibs are known for. Nib is firm but not rigid or stiff. As others have noted, the nib runs slightly on the fine side of medium; but on a more porous paper (such as copier) it writes a true medium. On a wetness scale of from 1 to 5 (driest to wettest), I would put the AS 022 at a 3.

As one might expect from a classic pen, when posted the pen balances well. (To me, almost every fountain pen seems too short when unposted.)

Conclusion

Great looking, fine writing, well-built vintage pen that was new out of the box. At a price shipped to me of $115 (purchased from Sierra Trading Post, which is now out of stock). What's not like?

Threads on FPN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42461-archivi-storici/,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53925&hl=Aurora+88;

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111001;

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46063

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• Blade Runner

• Silvermink

• eric47

You're killing me! Not hours ago, I went to Sierra Trading Post to order this pen with my recent pen sale revenues and a 25% off coupon, only to find them sold out. This pen is definitely on my list, especially since I've enjoyed using my 88P so much recently. Still, I might have found other sources.... :ninja:

How do you compare the "grippiness" of the 022's brushed surface to that of the 88's smooth finish?

i like the look of the vintage ones. this brushed finish reminds me too much of the L2K. which is a lot cheaper ;) less expensive than the Aurora.

nevertheless... a beautiful pen. enjoy it.

Thanks for the review - these are gorgeous pens!

I got mine recently from this seller on eBay, which still has some available.

I was considering a Lamy 2K recently, but found it too big for my hands - the Archivi Storici is sleeker and just right.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks for a great review. I love the look of the brushed resin barrel as its similar to the lamy 2000.

Tora Pens Website

E-mail me

Tora Pens are authorised dealers in the UK for the following fine brands: Bexley, Danitrio, Classic Pens, OMAS, Onoto and Sailor. FREE UK delivery on all orders including ink!

http://www.torapens.co.uk/images/catalog/TA-88_Small.jpg

Danitrio Takumi Tame-nuri TA-88

Nice review ttakacs.

i like the look of the vintage ones. this brushed finish reminds me too much of the L2K. which is a lot cheaper ;) less expensive than the Aurora.

But the Aurora is assembled from vintage parts, so in a way it's arguably a vintage pen (even if assembled a few years ago). The Lamy L2K you can buy one of those whenever you want, not so with the Aurora 022 or any of the other pens in the Archivi Storici collection.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Nice review, thanks. Really nice looking pen in particular like the brushed cap.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Nice review ttakacs.

But the Aurora is assembled from vintage parts, so in a way it's arguably a vintage pen (even if assembled a few years ago). The Lamy L2K you can buy one of those whenever you want, not so with the Aurora 022 or any of the other pens in the Archivi Storici collection.

oh, i understand it's assembled from the vintage parts. it's the look of the brushed finish i don't like. it LOOKS to much like the L2K. i don't think the Aurora from old have that look.

It is a fair bit like the 2000 finish-wise, yeah - though it's got the doué/metal-cap-on-resin-body thing going on, and I'm a huge sucker for that.

Maybe I should get a Lamy Edition 2000 and switch the caps with my regular 2000. :hmm1:

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

It is a fair bit like the 2000 finish-wise, yeah - though it's got the doué/metal-cap-on-resin-body thing going on, and I'm a huge sucker for that.

Maybe I should get a Lamy Edition 2000 and switch the caps with my regular 2000. :hmm1:

i see what you mean. maybe Lamy should make the steel cap edition of the 2K.

The AS 022 is an outstanding workhorse pen. Not a surprise given that it's essentially an 88P, one of pendom's great pens. I'm a huge 51 aero fan, and I think the Aurora is arguably a bit better given it is a piston filler with larger ink capacity than the aerometric 51, and it has a convenient ink window that the 51 lacks.

I ordered one of these from Sierra Trading thinking it was a large size pen --like a Pelikan M800--always thought the Aurora 88 was bigger. It is too small for my hand and too fine a line BUT My wife has adopted it and LOVES it!! It is perfect size for her beautiful little hands and she loves a fine nib and has been wanting a piston filler in fine for some time--great deal on a great pen. It is nice to have my wife so interested in pens now--she actually wants to see the pens I bought when they arrive in the mail.

www.stevelightart.com

I ordered one of these from Sierra Trading thinking it was a large size pen --like a Pelikan M800--always thought the Aurora 88 was bigger. It is too small for my hand and too fine a line BUT My wife has adopted it and LOVES it!! It is perfect size for her beautiful little hands and she loves a fine nib and has been wanting a piston filler in fine for some time--great deal on a great pen. It is nice to have my wife so interested in pens now--she actually wants to see the pens I bought when they arrive in the mail.

The modern piston filling 88 is bigger than the AS022/88P, similar to a 146.

Nice review ttakacs.

oh, i understand it's assembled from the vintage parts. it's the look of the brushed finish i don't like. it LOOKS to much like the L2K. i don't think the Aurora from old have that look.

I described it as a Parker 51 in a tuxedo. But I meant it as a compliment. Still, the cap was a little too... dressed up for my taste.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, there's something lost in translation from the Italian to the German...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1204/4609277703_8631e57ce9_b.jpg

The 88 Archivi Storici 022 compares more to Parker 51/21 pens than the Lamy 2000, in my opinion. Here are some measurements:

Lamy 2000: 138.5mm closed, 123.5mm uncapped, 13mm diameter at the widest

Aurora 88 Archivi Storici 022: 135.5mm closed, 125.5mm uncapped, 11.5mm diameter at the widest

Parker 21: 133.5 closed, 118mm uncapped, 11.75mm diameter at the widest

Parker "51": 137 closed, 126.5mm uncapped, 11.8mm diameter at the widest

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/4609291297_87a2237302_b.jpg

Lamy 2000, Aurora 88 022, and Parker 21

Gorgeous pen! I'd love to know where you can get one for 115$, cant find em that cheap anywhere!

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i