The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review: ST Dupont 2006 Opus X

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 16:58

ST Dupont was making lighters long before they were making fountain pens and in fact, they made the first gas filled lighters. The ST Dupont lighters have long been recognized as one of the finest makes available, unbelievably reliable, long lasting and showing the characteristic attention to detail at even the most mundane features.

Over the years ST Dupont made several brand specific lighters, quite a few for the Fuente family.

This review is about the 2006 Fuente Opus X.

The basics:

The basic pen is the X-Large Olympio/Orpheo model. It has the characteristic ST Dupont curved and scalloped 18K nib with a Palladium overlay and a gold plated ribbed section. The body is a bright red Chinese Lacquer while the cap is about as close to pure white as any I have ever found. It was created to match the white of the finest Limouges Porcelain and the Fuente crest appears on the reverse of the cap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As with all ST Dupont pens this one is a marvel, the more you live with it the more you come to appreciate their attention to detail. There were a total of 400 made and this particular pen is 133/400.

Like all ST Dupont pens since the Montparnasse, it is a cartridge/converter pen and uses the standard international cartridges. The nib is smooth with great feedback, moderately wet with all inks and can sit unused and uncapped for extended periods yet start immediately.

Conclusion:

This is certainly not a pen that goes unnoticed and I imagine that even in a pitch black room with no light at all it would stand out, but it is certainly a joy to own and use. The balance is perfect, posted or unposted and the size, weight and overall warmth make it enjoyable during extended writing sessions. The metal section would not have been my first choice, but surprisingly the ribs make it both secure and controllable.

Edited by jar, 24 April 2010 - 17:10.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 17:22

Very beautiful pen Jar, I had missed some of your previous Dupont reviews, very informative. Thanks for sharing!
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 19:05

Very beautiful pen Jar, I had missed some of your previous Dupont reviews, very informative. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks.

One of the things I like about the ST Dupont pens is that they have such a broad range of designs yet almost all are meant to be used, to be everyday workhorses. You can dress up like the Opus X or the Shaman...

Posted Image

or Vertigo...

Posted Image

or dress down like the Montparnasse...

Posted Image

or a simple Fidelio...

Posted Image

or a black Chinese Lacquer and Palladium Olympio/Orpheo.

Posted Image

My Website

#4 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 19:09

Nice review and a very attractive pen, it certainly is an eye catcher.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#5 Shalori

Shalori

Do or do not, there is no try.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:21

Hi Jar.

Thanks for the review. As you mentioned the range of pens, I think I might take a couple pictures of my collection to help show off a bit of the range. It is definitely not just a boardroom pen. I only have Olympios, not the various models like your collection.

#6 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:17

Thanks for the nice review.

Andy

#7 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 18:31

Hi Jar.

Thanks for the review. As you mentioned the range of pens, I think I might take a couple pictures of my collection to help show off a bit of the range. It is definitely not just a boardroom pen. I only have Olympios, not the various models like your collection.

There are about ten different body styles so far...

Posted Image

From left to right: the very slim Classique, slightly wider standard Gatsby, the standard and large size Montparnasse, the Ellipsis, Fidelio and the standard large and X-Large Olympio/Orpheo

as well as the large sized Gatsby as seen at the bottom in this picture:

Posted Image

and the newest Neo-Classique:

Posted Image

that is a monster, with the width and heft of the X-Large Olympio but in the classic cylinder form.

My Website

#8 tanburi

tanburi

flux

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 18:42

Hats off to the art of lacquering.

By the way, do all St. Duponts have a snap-on capping system?
Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

#9 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 19:13

Hats off to the art of lacquering.

By the way, do all St. Duponts have a snap-on capping system?

The Standard Montparnasse and the Large Montparnasse were a screw cap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Website

Sponsored Content

|