The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Who owns or wants to own an ST Dupont Fountain Pen?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: Who owns or wants to own an ST Dupont Fountain Pen? (289 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own an ST Dupont fountain pen?

1. Yes (127 votes [43.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.94%

2. Voted Not yet (94 votes [32.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.53%

3. Never, not interested. (68 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 00:32

I have a purple diamondhead, which I only own because I got it at a steal of a price ($200).

I love it, it's a great writer, but most Dupont pens seem to miss my sense of aesthetics, sadly.

My 'purple' ST Dupont is a placed Lacquer, with the dark purple geometric insets in the Palladium finish.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#22 tutelman

tutelman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:02

I scored a Dupont Classique off eBay some time ago and was extrememly pleased to find it had a juicy (and unadvertised) stub nib. I also own Fidelio, in a handsome charcoal gray guilloche lacquer, which I acquired when Levenger sold off their non-Levenger pen stock.

#23 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:00

I would love to own a (large) sized Olympio/Orpheus with the Chinese Black Lacquer Finish.

The fit, finish and construction is among the best I have ever seen. Perfectly balanced, posts securely and gracefully and the nib aesthetically unique yet smooth, perfect for daily writing.

The Chinese Lacquer gives urushi a run for it's money and is apparently extremely durable also.

Alas ... the cost ...

Thankfully, my local pen B&M boutique does not have a fine or extra-fine nib in stock. And my wallet that much better for it. I haven't asked Bryant whether he has the St Dupont Neptune in other nib sizes yet...
In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#24 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:50

I recieved a blue laque St Dupont many years ago as a present. It is an excellent writer, though not my favorite because of to much weight and not enough girth for a long writing session.
When I received it, I didn't realise that it was so valuable and I never considered it as an upper class pen because of the lack of a proper ink filling system (it has a converter) and of a decent ink capacity.
One day, the pen fell on the floor and the nib bent completely. I went to a local Dupont retailer and they pretended it was impossible to restore it. The pen must return to the plant for a new nib. I forgot the price of that new nib, but I remember it was my turn to fall on the floor and that I could buy for that price a new Lamy 2000,wich was in my opinion a much better writing instument. That bling was not worth the price of even the nib and I decided to restore the nib myself and I succeeded in 5 minutes work. The nib glides on paper as good as before.
Now I realise that that bling is an object of high value and I keep it in esteem and as souvenir of the person who gave me the present. But it is not in my daily rotation.
Orval

#25 humblescribbler

humblescribbler

and Zen there were none

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 14:53

I love Dupont! I've picked up a few over the years, listed in other threads. The Vertigo II my favorite. Visited Joon (on Lexington) for the first time to NYC, picked up a Fidelio Guilloche med. nib as my NY souvenir! (Trip to see Billy Elliot, my first Broadway also!) Good store, helpful but not the breadth or depth of selection I was expecting (that one day, anyway -- I know it could change all the time.)

Michael

#26 xuan87

xuan87

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 14:58

i will probably pick up a St Dupont Defi at some point in my life, but there's a couple of major purchases that i'll like to buy before getting this. maybe by then, the Defi will be a piston filler!
Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

#27 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 15:07

I recieved a blue laque St Dupont many years ago as a present. It is an excellent writer, though not my favorite because of to much weight and not enough girth for a long writing session.

Do you know what model ST Dupont it is?

My Website

#28 Kimo

Kimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:32

Many years ago (about 10 to 15?) I saw an ST Dupont pen at my local pen store that I really liked and wanted to buy. It was a ballpoint - and I normally have no interest in ballpoints. This one was the typical very slender with extra long clip Dupont ballpoint style, but what really made it something I coveted was the finish. The barrel was this yellow/orange clear lacquer with the metal underneath having an engine turned engraved pattern that showed through. I wish I could recall the name of the model as I would like to keep an eye out for one. The reason I did not buy it at the time was they wanted $700 for it which is just way too much for a ballpoint pen in my opinion, even a very nice one. Maybe it was a limited edition? I don't know. Does anyone know Duponts well enough to be able to tell me what the name of the model of this pen was?

Thanks.

#29 shahrincamille

shahrincamille

Hunter-killer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:54

Those who speak ill of ST Duponts and yet never owned one certainly do not know what they're talking about :glare:.

I'll say ST Duponts without doubt are built to the highest standards :thumbup:. The parts fit perfectly, the trademarked click when one snaps the cap on is something that is certainly not replicable by other manufacturers. If one cares to take a look, even the INSIDE of the cap and barrel, and the underside of the clip are polished smooth to the highest degree. And the nibs... although they tend to be on the stiff side (for the modern ones, at least), their glassy smoothness gliding on paper is certainly unmatched (yes, even by the legendary Sailors).

I only have 2 ST Duponts - a Fidelio Coat of Mail and a platinum-plated D-Link - but these are 2 of my finest pens (though not the most expensive ones) and I'm thoroughly impressed by this brand after closely scrutinising every part of these pens under a 10X loupe :notworthy1:.

Shahrin B)

#30 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 17:08

Many years ago (about 10 to 15?) I saw an ST Dupont pen at my local pen store that I really liked and wanted to buy. It was a ballpoint - and I normally have no interest in ballpoints. This one was the typical very slender with extra long clip Dupont ballpoint style, but what really made it something I coveted was the finish. The barrel was this yellow/orange clear lacquer with the metal underneath having an engine turned engraved pattern that showed through. I wish I could recall the name of the model as I would like to keep an eye out for one. The reason I did not buy it at the time was they wanted $700 for it which is just way too much for a ballpoint pen in my opinion, even a very nice one. Maybe it was a limited edition? I don't know. Does anyone know Duponts well enough to be able to tell me what the name of the model of this pen was?

Thanks.

That sounds like the Amber Guilloche Chairman Montparnasse.

Posted Image

The Montparnasse ballpoint was relatively slim with the top just slightly larger than the body.

A big part of the cost in those pens was the hand labor that went into them. The brass body is first machine engraved in a Guilloche pattern, then finished and polished. Once the external metalwork was done the Chinese Lacquer was applied. Chinese Lacquer is the same material as used in the Japanese Urushi tradition. The lacquer is hand applied in very thin layers and allowed to cure between layers. In this case it is also highly polished between each layer that provides amazing depth and life to the final product.

Edited by jar, 23 April 2010 - 17:45.

My Website

#31 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 18:29

I have a purple diamondhead, which I only own because I got it at a steal of a price ($200).

I love it, it's a great writer, but most Dupont pens seem to miss my sense of aesthetics, sadly.

That's, um, different. :)

And I like purple.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#32 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2010 - 19:15

The fit and finish of S.T. Dupont pens are sublime, outstanding... well you get the picture.

I have the following:

Montparnasse Chairman...Amber...M--nib.
Olympio Vertigo...Large...Stub--nib.
Olympio Gold Dust...Large...M--nib.
Olympio Red Marble...Large...M--nib.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Freddy, 23 April 2010 - 19:17.

#33 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 17:31

Can anyone enlighten me as to the differences between the Orpheus and the Fidelio, please? Did/does the Orpheus come with a 14ct nib? And how does that differ in terms of handling from Dupoont's 18ct nib?

Many thanks,

Sue

#34 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 17:42

Can anyone enlighten me as to the differences between the Orpheus and the Fidelio, please? Did/does the Orpheus come with a 14ct nib? And how does that differ in terms of handling from Dupoont's 18ct nib?

Many thanks,

Sue

The Fidelio had a 14K nib. The Orpheus/Olympios have the 18K nib. I find absolutely no difference in performance between the two materials.

It is also the smaller of the three sizes and a more traditional shaped nib than the Olympio/Orpheo semi-wraparound design.

There is a review of the Orpheo and Fidelio here.

My Website

#35 tanburi

tanburi

flux

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 17:51

For the record, I definitely want to have one. The Défi might be suitable.
Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

#36 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 17:55

For the record, I definitely want to have one. The Défi might be suitable.

Be sure to fondle it first. Like the OMAS 360, people seem to either love or hate the shape.

Also remember, you can usually get almost any of the models on the secondary market for the price of a new Defi.

My Website

#37 tanburi

tanburi

flux

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 18:25

Thanks Jar. When the right time comes (if ever), I'll also consider buying one from a FPN member.

#38 framebaer

framebaer

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 18:33

I have a Fidelio in a silverplated Damier pattern-- a beautiful pen. The nib is a Binder ground cursive italic, roughly 0.7mm.

one of my favorite writers, if not, perhaps, the best!!
Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra. Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

#39 InkyWink

InkyWink

Molon Labe!

• Member - Gold

• 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 18:42

It may very well be true that they have nibs from heaven but they are not on my list because...

* Too blingy.
* I dislike metal sections.
* Big $$$ - you can get a lot of Pelikan, Waterman, Visconti, Stipula, Sailor or Pilot for those prices. Indeed you can easily get Nakaya Maki-e.
* At that price point I do not want to use a converter.
* Their website has incomprehensible navigation. The pens are hard to find, hard to see, no detail and far too small... and I have a 27" hi-def monitor.

I don't mind dropping a lot on a pen but the Duponts just aren't my thing. If anyone wants to send one out to me on a demo basis to try to change my mind, I'd be more than happy to give it a whirl but I bet it'll be coming back soon. :)

To each his own, that's what makes life interesting...

PS Yes, I have fondled them.

Edited by Powerbroker, 25 April 2010 - 18:43.

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

#40 tanburi

tanburi

flux

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 18:47

* Their website has incomprehensible navigation. The pens are hard to find, hard to see, no detail and far too small... and I have a 27" hi-def monitor.

Amen.

Sponsored Content

|