The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan m205 clear demo

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gillyohan

gillyohan

Utilitarian FP User

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:13

Review of a Pelikan m205 clear demo.

Appearance, Design, Size:
This pen is pretty small and light. Interestingly, for me at least, is that the length does not change much from being capped to uncapped. I like this because it stays short while capped, which allows me to put it in even shallow shirt pockets. Yet, it is still long enough to write with unposted. The build quality is okay. Nothing really amazing about the feel. It's comfortable enough to write with, even for longer writing sessions. I would probably like a longer section, but the threads don't bother me too much.

Filling System:
My first piston fill pen. I have tried out Lamy 2Ks before, and they were always a bit a hard to turn without ink in it. The m205 turned very easily.

Nib:
The medium steel nib on this pen works okay. It's a bit of a hard starter, but I'm not sure if there is a problem with the nib, if I'm writing at the wrong angle, using the wrong ink for it, or writing on coated or oily paper. I don't think it's the paper, but it may be a combination of the other reasons. Either way, unless I'm writing on some coated paper, it only hard starts at the very beginning of the sentence. The nib is pretty smooth, but I would expect nothing less of a medium nib. I usually use fine and extra fine nibs.

Conclusion:
I really like this pen. It shows off the ink beautifully. I could see myself adding another Pelikan to my repertoire in the future, maybe even something in the same line.

Some pen shots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comparisons with Sailor Sapporo and Esterbrook SJ:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Writing sample comparison:
Posted Image
Inked: Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson); Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki); Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

Sponsored Content

#2 irbyls

irbyls

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:01

Gorgeous photos! Makes me want one to match my blue demo! :puddle:
-irbyls

#3 gillyohan

gillyohan

Utilitarian FP User

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:30

The nice thing about the clear demo is that it will show any ink color very well. I want to try some green or purple-ish ink in this. Hopefully, I can find something that won't stain it too badly.
Inked: Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson); Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki); Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

#4 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:17

Reds and oranges seem prone to cause stains which is a shame because they look fantastic swishing around in a demonstrator.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#5 DAYoung

DAYoung

philosopher/author

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:28

Lovely shots. I particularly like that third shot, which shows off the dark, rich colour. Though the first is also excellent: the play of contrasts between ink-on-page and ink-in-pen, and between both and the white page.

Thanks, gillyohan.

Edited by DAYoung, 16 April 2010 - 07:30.

Damon Young
philosopher & author
OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

Posted Image

#6 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:30

Great review, thanks, I have been toying with getting a demonstrator for some time now, more than likely a Pelikan because they show off more but which one. Decisions, decisions.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#7 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,813 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 00:36

I've just ordered a Peli M205 Clear!! I am very excited!! Next one will be a Blue Demo!!

What amazing pics!! Noodler's Bad Blue Heron in the reservoir is gorgeous!! What a nice look!

Many thanks,

Fabricio

#8 gillyohan

gillyohan

Utilitarian FP User

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2010 - 13:57

Yuki - Yes, it is a shame. Try to find DAYoung's photos of his demo with a reddish Pilot ink in it. Looks VERY nice!

DAYoung - Thanks! Need some outlet as I'm not taking as many commissions for photography this year. I also liked your shots of your demo! I may gather up some courage to put reddish inks in my demo some day.

Ed - I think demos need to have either a large convertor or be a piston filler. The Pilot Custom 74 demo is a good convertor option, and actually looks cleaner overall, compared to the m205 demo.

Fabricio - I hope you like your new demo. BBH is one of my favorite inks, though it gets a bit crusty on the nib over time.

#9 HotKgon

HotKgon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 17:03

Very nice post and thanks for the photos.
Your post has made me crave for a clear demo. Plus it also compared the m205 and sailor sapporo for me, the pens that I am trying to decide which to buy.

#10 gillyohan

gillyohan

Utilitarian FP User

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2010 - 18:46

Very nice post and thanks for the photos.
Your post has made me crave for a clear demo. Plus it also compared the m205 and sailor sapporo for me, the pens that I am trying to decide which to buy.

In case you're wondering, the m205 is only a little longer than the Sapporo when both are posted.

#11 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 18:50

Nice review! Especially appreciated the comparison of other common pens. I used to have an Amber m200. The demo pens are quite neat unless you cannot tolerate seeing the ink that's left behind in the pen. Uh... so no more demos for me. Fortunately the Pelikan is a great pen in many forms.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#12 HotKgon

HotKgon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 00:03

In case you're wondering, the m205 is only a little longer than the Sapporo when both are posted.

Cheers for that gillyohan! Much appreciated.

#13 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 22:40

nice review
Cogito ergo sum

#14 mori45

mori45

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:52

Nice review. I bought one of these and love it, so much so that I'm thinking of picking up another at some point. I bought a 14k BB for it, filled up with Yama-budo and had a new contender for favorite pen.

#15 gillyohan

gillyohan

Utilitarian FP User

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:21

I actually sold all my FPs in the pics above, except this one. AND I ended up buying another Pelikan (m215). So now I'm down to two Pelikan m2xx pens. This is how highly I think of these pens for daily use.

#16 mori45

mori45

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:51

You're absolutely right, but for some reason, the Pelikan felt better in my hand, enough that I just ended up selling the Sapporo. The nib is also not as springy on the Sapporo, if that's something that matters.

Nice review. I bought one of these and love it, so much so that I'm thinking of picking up another at some point. I bought a 14k BB for it, filled up with Yama-budo and had a new contender for favorite pen. The very manageable price didn't hurt either. Highly recommended.

#17 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:30

nice review
Cogito ergo sum

Sponsored Content

|