The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Chilton Pen Company NEW Wingflow line REVIEW

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:30

The New Chilton Pen Company Wingflow review

So I am pretty excited to see a reissue of the Chilton Pen company. True, the first offerings have received mixed reviews from several Chilton collectors, but let’s face it, the Wingflow I tested, is not the wingflow of the past. Really, is that a bad thing? NO. I got to say, as I waited, eager, and excited, to receive my Wingflow, I kind of had to keep myself in check as to not consider this pen great, without really giving it a fair shake. I will start out saying that I am not a new pen guy, I prefer vintage, thru and thru.

Well, what did I think? Here goes, my first pen review…..

Packaging…

While I have bought several new pens, the packaging ranges from all spectrums. Clearly this is not a high end limited edition packaging, you might find with a writer’s series Mont Blanc, but it was well executed, nice, and simple. The metal/foil label apply on the clamshell box, with the vintage throwback logo, is a nice touch. Not extravagant, quite functional, and you don’t have the feeling that the price you pay for the pen is in part, packaging.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Style and Execution…

So the original wingflow had gold filled inlay, in several styles, wraparound gold nib, and pneumatic filler. This pen does not. What it does offer, is a hint of the past, with the choice in plastics used. I like the material, I find it quite interesting. I spent a great deal of time spinning it around, admiring the material, and it’s individual unique pattern, much like I do with a vintage pen from the 30’s. Material seems durable, and solid. The trim is simple, and well executed. Stylized script, on the band, matches the Wingflow script used to originally promote the line in 1935.

Posted Image

The clip is clean, and not strange. I have seen some strange clips on a lot of modern pens, believe me, simple, and clean is something I like. The pen has a stylized imprint, on the barrel, what I found awkward, about the imprint, it seemed too low on the barrel. Also, what I notices, is the person that put the imprint on , and did the clip, must be lefthanded (thank you!) not for the rest of you, but the imprint and clip script is done for lefthanders, just something I noticed.

Posted Image

The nib is a product of Germany, mine is equipped with a Medium point. Steel alloy nib, yeah, not a wraparound, winged nib, but good, this one won’t break, and might last into the next decade. The nib and feed are attached to a standard converter, that fills nice and clean.

Posted Image

Writing and Overall Value…

So how does this thing write? Great! There is one aspect of a new pen that is the deal maker or breaker. I filled this thing from dry, wiped the excess ink, and put point to paper, wrote a terrific clean line right away, no coaxing, no tapping, no dipping. That made me happy. I have been writing with this thing for days now, since receiving it, I even allowed a few of my coworkers to write with it, and they all seemed to like it. My only complaint, is wow, I would love a wider point, maybe a broad, would suit my hand. It writes a nice medium line, but I think anymore, I lean to a broad line.

This pen is nicely sized, it is no baby. It has a nice feel, nice heft, unbelievable balance, with the cap posted. My thoughts for a future idea, is make this pen, two thirds the size, I think someone like my wife would opt for a smaller version of this, maybe two thirds sized. Go figure, this is the stuff you think of when you look at a pen for review I suppose. Hey, I’m 6’7” and 300 pounds, a large pen is perfect for me, not everyone.

Overall, considering what this thing is on the market for, $99 from several retailers, I think it offers a lot of “bang for the buck”. Terrific looks, nice balance, and trouble free writing, what else can you ask for? I am excited to see what else is in store for us from the restart of the Chilton Pen company.

Posted Image

Thanks all for taking time to read thru this review. It is my first attempt at something like this, and I hope that someone finds it useful.

Take Care!
Rick
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,715 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:49

Great review Rick!

It's good to see YOU reviewing the new Chilton!
I think I wrote here, or somewhere else inquiring about who was making these pens.
Any information on the new company?

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#3 xuan87

xuan87

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:37

will be waiting to snap the limited production colors!
Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

#4 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:38

Nice review and nice looking pen, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#5 lestylo

lestylo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 23:08

Made by same individual behind last year's Mabie Todd and Conklin Pen last year before sale to Yafa.
I think I will pass on this one.

#6 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:40

Great perspective on a new pen. If anyone else had written a review, it wouldn't have had the validity that you have offered. If I may--based on the pictures that you have provided--offer a humble opinion.

The original Chilton Wingflow had a mathematical complexity to its design, yet it was strikingly simple. Every time I seen a Chilton Wingflow, I am awed. Very few have passed through my hands. This pen, on the other hand, couldn't leave a good thing alone. It's too busy and too big. For $99, one can't complain. However, they could have done a lot more by providing less: maybe a smaller cap band, and a smaller maker's mark. I would have paid more for a simpler pen with a gold nib.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#7 mgepark

mgepark

mgepark

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 21:34

Great review. Do you have the dimensions of the pen? Size and width basically capped and uncapped on the length. Thanks.

#8 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:59

Made by same individual behind last year's Mabie Todd and Conklin Pen last year before sale to Yafa.
I think I will pass on this one.

well, it has the same look alright! i pass too.

nevertheless, thanx for the review, Rick. enjoy your pen!

Sponsored Content

|