The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Anybody know what a "Planck" nib is?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 davefeldman

davefeldman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 00:18

I just picked up a Pelikan 120 (the one manufactured by M&K in the 70's) at a garage sale. Anyhow, it came with a 14k gold italic nib that doesn't appear to be made by Pelikan, though it screws in perfectly--it is marked "Planck 14k-585". Anybody have any info about this nib? I can't find anything on Google.

Any and all help appreciated!

Dave

Sponsored Content

#2 Feanor

Feanor

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2010 - 00:31

It's a quantum nib. It won't write unless you close your eyes.

#3 rdh

rdh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:03

Max Planck. Famous German physicist. Nobel Prize winner who died shortly after WWII.

Dave

#4 sjs

sjs

Steve

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:20

This is a nib whose line width is thinner than a Planck length, or approximately 1.61×10−35 meters.

It is roughly equivalent to a Japanese fine. :roflmho:

EDIT: I am, of course, making this up, since the planck length is what Feynman would call "very small". Just thought I'd clarify.

Edited by sjs, 11 April 2010 - 01:28.

Steve

#5 davefeldman

davefeldman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:17

Jokes aside (and they are funny). Anybody know what this is?

Dave

#6 George

George

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:29

Jokes aside? They were serious.

Regards
George

#7 bigstick

bigstick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:19

No idea, but I wouldn't let your cat anywhere near it.....
Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

#8 GallBladder

GallBladder

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:16

Hate to resurrect so old a thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one.

I just purchased a small lot of pens on eBay, mostly for a Vacumatic, but in the lot was a Pelikan 120. Once given a rinse and a few fills of water it wrote like a champ. The cool thing about the Pelikan 120 is that it came with a Planck 14k-585 nib, with a lovely italic nib. It writes beautifully with a little flex too.

I wonder if this is the same pen as the OP, or if it is identical?

David

p.s. If it is a different pen, then perhaps Planck was a nib maker sourced by Pelikan or Pelikan owners.

Writing with pen and ink, is an endeavour both stimulating and cathartic.

#9 miko

miko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:30

You have a rare and wonderful find. Kenny Planck grew up in Iowa and found a job at Sheaffer during the Depression. He later moved to the Naugatuck Valley in Connecticut (of some pen making interest because it was a center of rubber processing and "vulcanite" production at the turn of the century). He established a telephone booth-sized pen shop at York and Chapel Streets in New Haven and specialized in his own proprietary music nibs mounted on Pelikan 120s. He was world famous and during the 60s and 70s he received orders from great conservatories around the world, including Warsaw, Cracow, Leningrad, Prague and other countries still behind the Iron Curtain. He was generous with his pen repair knowledge.

I would stop in the shop on my way home from the medical school 1 block away from his shop to watch him and learn about pens. I was so impressed that someone could do something so well in his tiny little shop that he would eventually be world renowned simply by word of mouth. That lesson always compelled me to strive for similar perfection in the surgery that I perform in my own career.

I still have 2 of his nibs. The Pels are long broken, but one is fit in an old Sheaffer and the other in a Pelikan 600. In addition to being great nibs, they evoke fond, old memories. Enjoy the pen.

#10 kimsdad

kimsdad

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:21

No idea, but I wouldn't let your cat anywhere near it.....

Schrodinger's?

#11 Croma

Croma

quartz

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:48

Please, could you post a picture of Planck Nib?
Thanks

#12 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:47

You have a rare and wonderful find.

Excellent knowledge and a great story. Thank you.

Edited by 1000km, 28 February 2013 - 16:49.

#13 sethk

sethk

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:25

I just found this thread after reading about cartoonist Art Spiegleman's liking for a certain Planck nib:

http://www.nibs.com/ArtSpiegelman.htm

#14 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 1,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:19

Miko, thaks for solving the mystery.  This thread should definetly be pinned by a moderator to preserve the answer.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

Sponsored Content

|