Iroshizuku Yama-budo

carpedavid

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4504535785_c4baf4e860_b.jpg

Iroshizuku Yama-budo (wild mountain grapes) is a vibrant purple ink the color of fresh grape juice that's been spilled across a glazed, porcelain countertop. It is brighter and juicier than J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune, which, itself, can be favorably compared to a red wine stain.

Like many other Iroshizuku inks, it is quite highly saturated – to the point that it tends to temporarily stain the ebonite feed on fountain pens. Fortunately, I've never seen it stain permanently – a good rinse with water will take it right off. This ink exhibits moderate shading with a wide nib, but is fairly consistent in a fine nib.

Yama-budo flows easily, though it is neither lubricating like Noodler's inks nor overly wet like J. Herbin inks. In a fine nib, it exhibits no feathering on either Rhodia or Moleskine journal paper, and only minor feathering on the more absorbent Ecosystem paper. Despite its vibrant color, it displays minimal show-through, even on the thin paper of a Moleskine cahier. It behaves quite well on all papers with regard to bleed-through – showing only minimal bleeding on the thinnest of papers.

On Moleskine and Rhodia paper, Yama-budo dries in six to ten seconds – comparable to other Iroshizuku inks. On more absorbent paper like Ecosystem or standard copy paper, it is dry to the touch in less than two seconds. Writing on an incline seems to produce no noticeable increase in drying time compared to writing flat for this ink, at least in the pen I was using to test with.

The vibrancy of this ink makes it inappropriate for conservative business use, but it is wonderful for personal use of all sorts. In a fine nib, it produces a dark enough line to provide plenty of contrast for everyday reading.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4504535801_c0be789de3.jpg

As with the other Iroshizuku inks, Yama-budo comes in a beautiful, solid, 50 ml bottle that looks great on one's desk. The bottle has a depression in the base to allow for the last drops to be claimed with ease. The only minor drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50% to 100% more than other inks.

I've mentioned before that Iroshizuku is one of my favorite ink producers, and each new bottle I purchase reaffirms my growing devotion. Their colors are bold, inspiring, and difficult to find from other manufacturers. Yama-budo is highly recommended.

Review materials: For the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.1mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Safari. For the fine strokes, I used a Lamy EF steel nib on a Lamy Safari. The paper is Rhodia 80g.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carpedavid

• sotto2

• USMCMom

• rockspyder

Great review, it is a vibrant colour, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Love your review. This is one of my favorite inks, the go-to for anything that I want accented and sure to be seen. Excellent technical review, but, Man, where is your passion? I can't talk about or write about or use this ink without getting passionate, without wanting to throw my arms about and jump up and down. Yama-budo just seems to call for that, to me.

Your lettering is great, shows why wide pens rock.

Keep up the good work,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Thanks for this great review. I am eagerly awaiting a bottle from Engeika (and one of Momi-ji). Can't wait :puddle:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

A wonderful color. Personally, I'd probably never use it, but it's a delight to see.

Question: Did you use the Yama-budo in the left (category, e.g. "Feathering") column and the Herbin in the right (results, e.g. "Low")? They look like different inks to me.

Thanks for the review.

*edited for pre-coffee grammar

Edited by Breck

A wonderful color. Personally, I'm probably never use it, but it's a delight to see.

Question: Did you use the Yama-budo in the left (category, e.g. "Feathering") column and the Herbin in the right (results, e.g. "Low")? They look like different inks to me.

Thanks for the review.

Huh! I see what you mean. They are the same ink, written about a day apart - that is an odd effect, though. I wonder if it lightens over time?

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

Thanks for the review. I want a bottle of this ink pretty badly. I got to write with it last month at the local pen meetup and I fell in love instantly. It looks very rich and alive on the page.

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

Thanks for your good review superbly illustrating the vibrancy of Iroshizuku ink and particularly this Yama-budo! This one is quickly becoming one of my favorite colors in a truly great ink! You've illustrated its properties extremely well! And I, too, love the grapes.

• 1 month later...

carpedavid,

Thanks for the wonderufl reviews you have made of Iroshisuku inks. Great inks with lots of vibrant colors. Your handwriting is absolutely gorgeous. Your reviews combine the artistic side with technical information about the ink. Great job!

What a beautiful color the Yama-Budo ink is.

Being a big enthusiasts of wide nibs and color shading fascination, I look forward to you sharing more of your wonderful ink reviews with us.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Thanks for the review. I want a bottle of this ink pretty badly. I got to write with it last month at the local pen meetup and I fell in love instantly. It looks very rich and alive on the page.

...and he got one and I now have some of it in my 88 (thanks again). :) It's a really nice ink. Normally my 88's a dry-to-medium-flowing pen and it writes pretty wetly with Yama-Budo.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks for the review. That is a great color. Another that I will add to my list. And I thought the expensive part of the pen hobby was going to be the price of the pens. I had no clue how addictive the ink can be.

This is my favorite ink color, bar none. I've bought two bottles from Jetpens. I really like how this ink works in my XF point Pilot Ecrino.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Thanks for the review. That is a great color. Another that I will add to my list. And I thought the expensive part of the pen hobby was going to be the price of the pens. I had no clue how addictive the ink can be.

Oh, it's addicting all alright. I've got 22 bottles and counting. :-)

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on the review. I make sure to post all of my ink reviews here, but you can also find them at my blog: seize the dave.

my ink reviews

What a beautiful color! I have a yama-budo and MB bordeux, I love yama-budo much better!

• 1 month later...

Love the review - and I'm glad you compared it to Poussière de Lune, as that was the purple I used before purchasing yama-budo. The difference is remarkable: yama-budo makes Poussière de Lune look dull and greyish...

What I love most about yama-budo is its vibrant colour - it's almost juicy, like the mountain grapes it has been named after. Quite possibly my favourite Iroshizuku ink ever, and a great way to be introduced to this series.