Five Montblanc 149s for sale

Multiechelon

Would like to have a MB149 one day but these beauties here are currently beyond my reach...

Sean, hope your awesome 149s will find their owners soon!

Cheers.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Multiechelon

• sunnerd

• Ghost Plane

• Stiliketheblues

now if only you would have dropped the platinum 149 by the $25 you dropped the rest I would have been on it :roflmho:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

now if only you would have dropped the platinum 149 by the $25 you dropped the rest I would have been on it :roflmho:

I am happy to report that the solid platinum 149 is sold. It is a beautiful pen but it is now en route to its next destination.

The LE 149 was also sold. However, the other three pens are still available. I have received several PMs with interest but no firm orders.

2. 149 Obama "Yes We Can" - never used (all paperwork and boxes) - BB nib - $1,075

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - EF nib - $825

4. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $825

As always, prices include US Priority Mail shipping and a $20 credit towards international shipping cost.

Thanks for looking,

Sean

Congratulations on moving such a beautiful pen. Someone hurry up and buy the BB and put me out of my misery. :bonk:

GP I think he got that BB with you in mind :ltcapd:

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

GP I think he got that BB with you in mind :ltcapd:

Indeed, Kai is correct. Since GP was the one that helped me see the light regarding B nibs, I figured that bigger would be better and my love of large nibs would extend to BB. However, once the pen arrived, I was like "this nib is just too big" so I didn't even ink it. I know enough to know that GP doesn't like engraved pens so hopefully someone else will want this pen. If not, I may just have the nib ground down at next week's Boston Pen Show. I was going to have the nib of a 149 75th SE modified, but I may go with this YWC instead.

Sean

If not, I may just have the nib ground down at next week's Boston Pen Show.

I thought that was the 16th.

If not, I may just have the nib ground down at next week's Boston Pen Show.

I thought that was the 16th.

Sorry for the confusion. I was ambiguous in my use of the word "next." The Boston Pen Show is indeed May 15th and 16th. I will be at Richard Binder's table on the 15th.

Sean

I'd put up with the engraving if Sean didn't need to make the new pen premium back, but it's far too expensive for me. I just want the BB to write with, not as a collectable. :embarrassed_smile:

I am going to drop the price of each pen $50. This will be the last reduction before ebay (or choosing to keep the pens for longer):

2. 149 Obama "Yes We Can" - never used (all paperwork and boxes) - BB nib - $1,025

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - EF nib - $775

4. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $775

As always, prices include US Priority Mail shipping and a $20 credit towards international shipping cost.

Thanks for looking,

Sean

In reaction to a PM I received today, it dawned on me that nibs for all three of these pens are the same so they are interchangeable. They are all 149 nibs from either 2009 or 2010. Therefore, I am perfectly willing to have the nibs swapped. If you would like the Obama YWC with the EF or B or if you would like the rhodium plated with the BB, just let me know and I can make that nib change happen.

I will also tweak the prices slightly:

2. 149 Obama "Yes We Can" - never used (all paperwork and boxes) - BB nib - $950

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - EF nib - $760

4. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $760

Thanks for looking,

Sean

PM sent on YWC

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

As an update, the YWC is now sold but it was fitted with the EF nib. Therefore, one Rhodium-plated 149 has a B nib and the other has a BB nib. Here is the updated listing:

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $760

4. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - BB nib - $760

Thanks for looking,

Sean

As an update, 149 with BB nib is now sold. Only the 149 with B nib remains. Here is the updated listing:

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $760

Thanks for looking,

Sean

I am dropping the price of the remaining pen $25:

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $735

Thanks for looking,

Sean

I am dropping the price of the remaining pen $25:

3. 2010 149 with rhodium plating - never used (no paperwork or boxes) - B nib - $735

Thanks for looking,

Sean

I have been following this thread for the last few days and have hesitated to purchase primarily because I donot understand the benefit or use of the Rhodium plating and the resultant price spike. Please excuse my noobness(exp at MBs) but what is the purpose of this step? Does it in any way enhance the writing or is it just a cosmetic thing?

I have been following this thread for the last few days and have hesitated to purchase primarily because I donot understand the benefit or use of the Rhodium plating and the resultant price spike. Please excuse my noobness(exp at MBs) but what is the purpose of this step? Does it in any way enhance the writing or is it just a cosmetic thing?

This question is perfectly reasonable. Rhodium plating the 149 is purely a cosmetic thing. There are a set of fountain pen users (myself included) that prefer silver-trim pens versus gold-trim pens. While Montblanc provides the 146 in both types of trim, the 149 of course only comes in gold trim.

So the way to think of this pen is that in February 2010 I bought a new 149 and then I had it rhodium plated. It is fair to say that if someone is going to buy a new 149 and get it rhodium plated, the cost will be more than $735. However, if one is not interested in a rhodium-plated pen then this price is not worth it because even a new-in-box 2010 149 is probably only going to sell in the $600s.

Thanks for asking. I don't think the question was unreasonable at all.

Sean

ooohhh how i would love to pull the trigger and get this pen - if only for the Rhodium plating. Whoever gets this baby will be a very happy camper

Patience is a virtue when waiting for the right pen... although I do just always seem to miss them

Twitter - aget19

This question is perfectly reasonable. Rhodium plating the 149 is purely a cosmetic thing. There are a set of fountain pen users (myself included) that prefer silver-trim pens versus gold-trim pens. While Montblanc provides the 146 in both types of trim, the 149 of course only comes in gold trim.

So the way to think of this pen is that in February 2010 I bought a new 149 and then I had it rhodium plated. It is fair to say that if someone is going to buy a new 149 and get it rhodium plated, the cost will be more than $735. However, if one is not interested in a rhodium-plated pen then this price is not worth it because even a new-in-box 2010 149 is probably only going to sell in the $600s.

Thanks for asking. I don't think the question was unreasonable at all.

Sean

Hey Sean,

Thanks so much for clarifying! Makes complete sense...

I am not a huge golden trim fan myself, but I can live with it. Now if I was sure that MB was my everyday pen... I would happily pay the extra.

All the best with the last of your sale...

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how in the world did you end up with so many versions/copies of the same pen!! I am assuming u r not a dealer. I am in the early stages of this hobby, and u have gotten me worried about my future!

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files