Aurora Optima Burgundy Auroloide

tanalasta

First Impressions (8.5)

The Aurora Optima was a pen that I always wanted, my first Italian pen (for some reason I’m going around the world with my pen purchases). Having purchased enough black resin pens, I wanted to branch out into something more colourful and after much consideration, settled upon the Aurora Burgundy Auroloide with the rhodium trim with a fine nib.

In the end, I chose to purchase from John Mottishaw - www.nibs.com - and this is my first pen from him. He offers to tune and test your pens complimentary to your liking. I asked for moderate flow, smooth writer with light to moderate pressure, whilst maintaining the Aurora nib’s personality (that little bit of tooth or feedback).

Appearance (9)

It took one week for the pen to be ordered in and another two to be delivered via USPS Express International to Australia. I picked up the parcel and opened it as soon as I got to my office.

The pen came in an impressively sized cardbox box, inside was red wrapping paper and then a Faux leather box. Underneath the pen was the instruction manual.

Apologies for the quality of the iPhone photos as that was all I had with me at work.

post-32965-127054750605.jpgpost-32965-127054751939.jpg

Design/Size/Weight (8)

Specifications are from www.nibs.com

The pen is a moderately sized pen but with enough girth to give it a pleasantly substantial feel in the hand.

It weighs 21.5 grams, measuring 6.125 inches posted, 5 inches capped and with a barrel length of 4 inches. Ink capacity is 1.8mL which is reasonable for a piston filler.

The Optima has the typical stubbed pen design, but in a gorgeous burgundy auroloide. I still haven’t worked out what auroloide is (www.nibs.com and others suggest cellulose acetate) but from reading the forums and its feel in the hand, I do suspect it may be resin. It does not feel the same as my Pelikan M600 barrel (cellulose acetate) and it’s similarity to other Aurora LE’s that are different colours but are made of similar materials, yet called ‘resin’ make me suspect ‘auroloide’ is simply a tradename.

The pen cap unscrews with only one turn. The pen does post and is better balanced for it, but you do have to push the cap on firmly for it to be secure.

post-32965-12705474902.jpgpost-32965-127054748092.jpg

Nib (8.5)

14k with a fine nib width. Ebonite feed.

True to his word, John tuned it for moderate flow. It writes slightly wetter than what I remember from testing stock Aurora Optima’s in Melbourne. About as wet as my MB146 (EF).

Aurora nibs do write slightly finer than Western pens and the Aurora fine is narrower than my Pelikan M600 EF and probably on par with my Pilot Decimo VP fine.

And what a lovely nib it is. A little stiff. Smooth, free flowing yet controlled yet with enought tactile feedback on my work office paper to bring an immediate smile to my face. There is just a hint of ‘tooth’ that is a different feel (bit like a squeaky sensation) on some strokes but nothing I cannot live with. I’ll be honest that my MB 146 (18k nib) is very marginally better, but these are both top tier pen nibs. I much prefer it over my Pelikan M600 which is simply too wet and too smooth. Others may love this, but not me.

post-32965-127054749625.jpg

Filling System (9)

Piston.

Smooth with only gentle resistance, feels just like my Pelikan Piston. Lovely.

I inked it right away with J’Herbin Black (what I had in my briefcase) as my shipment of Poissiere de Lune is yet to arrive.

The Aurora Optima has a ‘hidden resovoir’ which basically means it holds a bit more ink in the piston end. When you run out of ink, you unscrew the piston all the way and that forces the piston end to release additional ink into the feed allowing an extra page.

Doesn’t bother me (I always have ink in a Visconti travel inkwell) but means cleaning this pen out later is going to be irritating when I want to change colours.

Oh well... I don’t think the feature deserves to be marked down though

Cost and Value (7)

It’s an expensive plastic pen. $30US cheaper than my MontBlanc 146 in platinum trim (shop price, not RRP)

But for a top tier, flagship Aurora with a hand ground nib and personality, worth it. For me. It’s on par with my favourite Sailor, MB146 writers.

Conclusion (8.5)

I love it.

The aurora has a beautiful sheen and colour to it and is the perfect size for my shirt pocket.

I’ll be using it as a daily writer at work, starting today! I used it all afternoon :cloud9:

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tanalasta

• reprieve

• tanburi

• Ed Ronax

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review and nice looking pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Thanks for the review! I have the Optima in the blue auroloide, and I love it. The burgundy is on my list.

:clap1: for the review(er) and that sexy nib.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

Very nice pen and great review.

I'm considering one of these in the future, but I prefer to write unposted. Will you please provide the length measurement (including nib) when unposted? Thanks!

Nice review...I am going to take a look at this pen on the weekend.

A Fine Pen, a fine watch and new shoes to "boot"...ahhhh

Thank you for the kind comments.

The pen is 12.4cm (approx unposted). Has quite a nice sized nib and grip section. I've now filled it with poissiere de lune and it's a beautiful writer.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

A few updated photos taken in better lighting. These photos are a better representation of the beautiful burgundy colour in natural sunlight.

Couldn't edit the OP so had to post again.

*Photos taken with a Nikon D90 & 16-85mmD DX lens*

1. Aurora Optima capped.

post-32965-127095300033.jpg

2. Aurora Optima posted.

post-32965-127095305779.jpg

3. Close-up of the nib, half filled with J'Herbin Poissiere de Lune.

post-32965-127095309838.jpg

Nice review of a great pen! I know you'll enjoy this one for years to come. After getting used to this one, you'll need to provide it some company of other Auroras!

• 7 years later...

The old Geha pens had a reserve tank, which was a button on the feed that when pushed allowed the ink 'around' the feed to be released. It does take much more time to clean out.......but was from back in the day of most folks only using one ink.....and or if just a blue or a black so if one just filled after empty wouldn't much matter.

The reserve tank makes it harder to lube the piston than a Pelikan.

Very pretty pen........

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.