The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wiland MUKI (2009)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 coffe_cup

coffe_cup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 23:58

Probably most of you will be surprised hearing about modern fountain pen made in Poland. Since, as a nation, we don't have a great history as far as fountain pen business is considered (well, apart from very few manufacturers who have disappeared just before or soon after WWII), the fact, that a new company was founded in 2007 is really a great news.
Wiland is a young Polish team led by very talented people, and not only talented, but also visionaries with great taste. The MUKI, after the Star and the Aleksandra is a third edition of their fully handcrafted (excluding of course nib and converter) fountain pens.

So, did you ever see, hear about, write with ceramic pen? Fully ceramic, from A to Z? Here is the MUKI!

1. First Impression.

When I saw the Aleksandra first time, I thought "I just have to get it!". When I saw the MUKI, I thought the same twice. According to company's philosophy we gets hand-made product, limited to only 21 pieces in each edition. Starting from the box, one cannot resist thinking it's a closed, premeditated history. Hand-made wooden, lacquered, perfectly black box is covered by also hand-made, openwork external case. Together with a white fountain pen, the impression is just Wow - simple, yet beautiful.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Appearance & Design. (10/10)

The pen itself is absolutely amazing and "Zen" shape. For those who doesn't find simplicity attractive, this pen may resemble a pestle - as described by one of my pen afficionados here in Poland, but for those who like simply designs, this pen might be a real treasure. For me, it's like the universe, captured by absolutely perfect shape.

Posted Image

Posted Image

3. Construction & Quality. (10/10)

Muki is made of a noble kind of ceramic - glazed aluminium oxide, which in their natural occurrence is known as corundum. And rubies and sapphires are forms of corundum. So, the MUKI required time and really hard work to become a fountain pen. From ceramic dust (gamma type), through rolling and multiple frings at temperatures as high as 1700 Celsius (alpha type - corundum), to re-polishing and glazing.
Most people think "ceramic - eeee, must be very fragile". Not at all! It's very hard, uncommon material and the pen has manufacturer's lifetime warranty.
But what was the most amazing for me, that this pen has not a standard screw threads. Company used cork to link the various elements of the pen in the same way cork is used in the construction of bassoons, oboes and clarinets. Coldness of the white ceramic was balanced by the warmth of the natural cork. Genius! Both materials are of the highest quality of course.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4. Weight & Dimensions. (9/10)

# length of the pen: 166 mm
# length of the pen without the cap: 143 mm
# length of the cap: 82 mm
# diameter of the pen: 17 mm
# weight of the pen: 72 g
# weight of the pen without the cap: 43 g

Because the cap cannot be posted, in fact the pen weights 43 g while writing. It's a big pen and heavy, but not very heavy. Comfortable even with long writing. The only thing (-1) is a balance. It's very well balanced fountain pen for those, who are used to keep their fingers a little higher (near the cork band and upper). Those, who prefer keeping them near the nib, might feel not very comfortable, but no drama! :)

5. Nib & Performance. (10/10)

The pen is equipped with an 18 carat gold nib (Bock), with a two-colored rhodium plated drawing, and decorated with an abstract graphic rendering of the letters WILAND. It's size 6 (23 mm) and I chose F. The quality of the nib and its writing is the same as other aspects of this pen - no problems, writes smoothly, from the first touch of the paper, with so nice for the ears sound, like "szu-szu". I love it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

6. Filling system. (10/10)

Standard C/C. The pens come with converter. Nothing to add - operates perfectly.

7. Cost & Value. (10/10)

MUKI is quite expensive pen. You have to spend around 850-900 Euro for it (depending on current exchange) but considering it's a Limited Edition of only 21 pens, hand made of uncommon and gorgeous material, with great nib, in my opinion it might be much more expensive if any other manufacturer has followed the same idea. In my opinion, MUKI is worth any penny.

8. Conclusion. (59/60)

Well, I love vintage fountain pens and have only a few modern ones and the MUKI is now one of my daily writers, together with few 'oldies', like Aurora Internazionale (c.1931), Conklin Nozac 5M (c.1937), and my beloved flexies (Watermans and Mabie Todds) and one more modern - Nakaya. So, this is it! Wiland and their MUKI is in my opinion among the highest quality pens, in all aspects.

If you would like to see previous model, Aleksandra, you are very welcome H E R E - just remember to choose Wiland from the left-menu.

Ps. It was my first pen-review here, so have mercy, please :) I am also very sorry for possible language mistakes.

Ps1. One more picture with writing example behind (Sailor Jentle Ink Red-Brown).

Posted Image

Edited by coffe_cup, 06 April 2010 - 06:56.

Sponsored Content

#2 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 00:42

Very pretty pen, it reminds me of an elephant's ivory, or a piano key (they used to be made out of the same thing, anyway)
Posted Image

#3 bgray

bgray

Edison Pen Co.

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 00:57

That's a cool pen.

I love the cork concept. Very original, and it's very difficult to come up with something new in this market.

#4 coffe_cup

coffe_cup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:03

Thank you :)

#5 Samovar

Samovar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:22

Nice pen, thank you for sharing.
Visit my food blog
Foodie Topography

#6 DAYoung

DAYoung

philosopher/author

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:25

That's a striking pen. And an attentive, articulate review.

Thank you.
Damon Young
philosopher & author
OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

Posted Image

#7 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:35

Great review and great looking pen, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#8 wykpenguin

wykpenguin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 13:38

Just be very careful not to stain it. On the other hand, ink stains can look great too. :roflmho:

#9 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,252 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 14:32

Thank you for the well done review. I particularly appreciated the Polish connection, as I was unaware of any modern makers in Poland.
By the way, your English is just fine.
gary, whose mother's maiden name was Sczykowski

ps-website for wiland
http://www.wiland.eu/wiland-pens.html

Edited by gary, 06 April 2010 - 14:42.

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 14:33

Very attractive pen, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#11 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 14:37

That's something a little different. And very nice! Thanks for the review and the beautiful photos.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#12 hecya

hecya

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 21:21

Great pictures of a very beautiful pen! I wonder if there are pens with ceramic nibs. I have seen Kyocera chef knives made from ceramics so I would guess that apart from being stiff the benefit for the user would be a very long life with almost no wearing down. I can picture this same pen with a white nib. Wow!

#13 Juicyjones

Juicyjones

Reissued for 2013

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:50

I want that pen, wow what a cool simple idea.

Just be very careful not to stain it. On the other hand, ink stains can look great too. :roflmho:

I'm pretty doubtful you're going to be able to stain something that's already been baked at 1200 degrees C. You could probably use that pen as an ash tray and it would come clean. haha
"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

Posted Image

#14 coffe_cup

coffe_cup

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:44

Many thanks to all of you. I am very happy reading such positive comments:) I took two more pictures of Muki together with previous model - the Aleksandra. Enjoy :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by coffe_cup, 07 April 2010 - 10:47.

#15 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 13:59

I wonder if there are pens with ceramic nibs. I have seen Kyocera chef knives made from ceramics

Sounds useful...if you want to slice paper while writing.Posted Image
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#16 wykpenguin

wykpenguin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 14:17

I want that pen, wow what a cool simple idea.

I'm pretty doubtful you're going to be able to stain something that's already been baked at 1200 degrees C. You could probably use that pen as an ash tray and it would come clean. haha

If your coffee mug stains, why not your pen? I'd stay away from inks such as Baystate Blue.

#17 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 22:56

Great review of an interesting and very different concept.

#18 TheNibsmith

TheNibsmith

The Nibsmith

• Member - Gold

• 1,400 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:11

Thank you so much for posting this review! I saw something about it a few weeks ago and wanted more information about it and you pretty much answered all my questions.

#19 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2010 - 16:54

coffee cup! great user name. (and great pens too)
if you like coffee mugs, click on the coffee cup postcard at the bottom of this post.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#20 journeyman42

journeyman42

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 16:55

I'll chime in with thanks for this review. It is always nice to learn about people pushing the limits of the industry, especially when they are doing it so artistically.

I wonder if they plan to produce any larger lower cost lines in the future. The demonstrator version of the Aleksandra is quite stunning.

thanks again.
When going on a journey always take your pen.

Sponsored Content

|